Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Tar remover

Old 20 May 2016, 04:25 PM
Dan_Turism0
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's more my OCD than anything but yes I was referring to already decontaminated paint as opposed to going straight in with a clay bar, I wouldn't be that silly

I had the fun and games of removing this level of marring on a 2015 plated car all because the owner had tried to remove some paint spots from a neighbour painting outdoors, the owner used a sponge that her other half reserved specifically for wheels

Old 20 May 2016, 04:29 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan_Turism0
as a professional detailer i wouldn't really go down the Tar remover route unless clay simply won't shift it. However I would recommend Gtechniq W7 if you must but i'd make sure I wiped the area down afterwards with a cleaning product and don't spray it directly on to the bodywork. Spray it on to a microfibre cloth and then work the area
Didn't sound that way Dan.

"as a professional detailer i wouldn't really go down the Tar remover route unless clay simply won't shift it"

Makes it sound exactly like you would go straight in with a claybar instead of tar remover 1st
Old 20 February 2017, 09:53 PM
scooby1982
Scooby Regular

+ 1 with BODSKI use the tar and fall out then clay afterwards to avoid marring paintwork.
Old 21 February 2017, 06:40 PM
DTB
Scooby Regular

I spent the best part of £10 on some gtechniq w7, then sent the msds sheet off to a friend who is a chemist to tell me what was in it. "Basically it's pretty much petrol" was the reply.

I now use a spot of petrol & unsurprisingly it works just as well as the w7...
Old 21 February 2017, 07:36 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Wd40
Old 22 February 2017, 01:14 PM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you have plenty of above surface contaminants tar, tree sap etc. Tardis is a solvent tar and glue remover, wash the car spray it on one pannel at a time allow to dwell a minute or two, use an old microfiber and rub the tar off then rince of with your presure washer. Also you should invest in a clay towell or mitt, these are far superior to the old clay bar, they last longer and are loads quicker.

You will have stripped off all LSP so you will have to protect it again, my advice if you aren't going to polish is carlack 68, colinite or gtechniq c2v3 or wetcoat from Gyeon.
Old 22 February 2017, 01:16 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by barrybudden
Sounds like you have plenty of above surface contaminants tar, tree sap etc. Tardis is a solvent tar and glue remover, wash the car spray it on one panel at a time allow to dwell a minute or two, use an old microfiber and rub the tar off then rinse of with your pressure washer. Also you should invest in a clay towel or mitt, these are far superior to the old clay bar, they last longer and are loads quicker.

You will have stripped off all LSP so you will have to protect it again, my advice if you aren't going to polish is carlack 68, collinite or gtechniq c2v3 or wet coat from Gyeon.
As Tardis is pretty much white spirits, Id just use white spirit.