Scratching that itch - ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

Notices
Bikers Discuss motorbike Insurance, training, best roads, clothing, helmets, biker gear. ScoobyNet's knee-down, wheelie-popping, chicken-line chat

Scratching that itch

Old 03 April 2018, 07:07 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Default BMW S1000RR

New bike inbound next week, Iíve always wanted one so why not, **** it!!!

S1000rr 2011

Last edited by Wull; 16 April 2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03 April 2018, 08:53 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

That's freaking awesome!

I passed my CBT in about 1997, IIRC. But never bothered following it up.
Old 03 April 2018, 09:01 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968 View Post
That's freaking awesome!

I passed my CBT in about 1997, IIRC. But never bothered following it up.

Get it done, you wonít look back. Cars are awesome, but bikes are just that little bit more special.
Old 16 April 2018, 07:33 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Brought the bike home on Wednesday there, rode the KTM down and rode the Beemer back.

Old 16 April 2018, 07:36 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Out for a short run yesterday whilst it was dry, originally the plan was to head off to the Doune hillclimb in the Evo with the family but the starter packed up, so bike it was.

Old 03 May 2018, 05:46 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

A few pics from the weekend, managed 100 miles roughly on Sunday.

Old 03 May 2018, 05:49 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Some more from a previous run, week before I think.

Old 19 June 2018, 08:25 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

I absolutely love this bike, leagues ahead of my previous bikes in term of performance and looks, not just power but brakes as well. I havenít been out much of late due to work but I try as much as I can.

Bike at work getting washed, chain degreased and lubricated for the next outing.

On a private road, 150mph with just over 3k revs left to go

Old 26 June 2018, 08:15 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Looks the business m8 , happy for ya ,
Old 16 July 2018, 07:48 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Finally swapped the plate over from the Evo tonthe bike, the Evo has been sold. Iíll be sad to see it go but also happy at the same time.

I fancied getting back on track with a bike, last track day on 2 wheels was in 2010 and now that the track car has gone I need my track fix. I didnít fancy taking the road bike on just in case it went **** up so there was no other choice, dedicated track bike it was.

Itís a 2008 ex R1 Cup bike, a Rob Mac bike with a decent spec. Std engine but running a full akra with a PC3, unknown power but will be plenty enough for me on track, too much in fact.

Suspension wise itís running K-tec fork internals and a WPnrear shock

520 chain conversion, HM quickshifter, rcs steering damper etc

Few things still to get before getting out on track but it wonít be too long.

I fancy getting an IRC auto blipper and downshifter as that would make a huge difference on track, but expensive but itíll work in conjunction with the HM quickshifter.
Old 16 July 2018, 10:04 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Sweet / you get a good deal on that
It’s the Big Bang model with x plane crank is that correct ,
Old 16 July 2018, 11:56 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jazzyjembreaze View Post
Sweet / you get a good deal on that
Itís the Big Bang model with x plane crank is that correct ,
Big Bang was from 2009 on, this had a new engine from the previous model using the conventional 4 valves per cylinder unlike the previous models 5 valves per cylinder.

I had narrowed it down to this or a 13s R6 and the price difference is what swayed me towards this. It was a great deal, plus I like my litre bikes, R6 would have been ideal round Knockhill but still, the difference in price is what essentially sealed the deal.
Old 08 August 2018, 08:50 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Quick blast last night, first time out on Zee German in over 2 weeks.

Old 16 August 2018, 01:06 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

great pics wull
borrowed m8’s ex cup bike was telling you about Sunday last only to stamp my ego spinning the rear & opposite locking into 2 nd gear turns ha ha , frightened myself silly had to calm it down

Then went to a local bike meet ,
was a ok turn out

Old 16 August 2018, 01:12 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Main suprise for me was coming across this beauty
yes a 98-99 EVo Fireblade

& this was number 100 of 100
i said to the guy riding it are you mad , that’s a 30K+ bike appreciation it should be stored not rode esp as it’s number 100
he gave me a cheeky grin & said **** that ha ha

Old 07 September 2018, 01:54 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Hope. I didn't upset you by photo bombing your thread , wasn't my intention , were both bikers so hope all is cool
kind regards mic
ps I'm looking at a few lc's on Ebay to start a new project off , just looking for the right bike to plough £ into & get back to showroom condition
Old 13 September 2018, 07:49 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Hey bud no not at all, I havenít even noticed the replies.

I had to use the beemer on track the other day, I ordered a tow bar for the Wagon but it was on back order, 5-6 weeks. It finally arrived and I booked it in to be fitted on the Wednesday so booked the track night which was on the Thursday. Typical fashion, there was issues with fitting the tow bar so I had to take the road bike. Tow bar is now fitted so next time out will be on the R1.

Iíve booked the track day on the 23rd, all day sessions, I usually do open session but this one falls on the Sunday, the open session one on the 17th is a Monday and isnít any use.

Last edited by Wull; 13 September 2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 13 September 2018, 08:10 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Back to the track day on the 6th

I had purchased some mirror blanking plates just in case I ever took the bike on track but wasnít expecting to use them so soon, so I prepared the bike the day before. Fitted the mirror blanks, removed the pillion pegs. Checked all nuts and bolts etc. All good, bike was already cleaned and the chain degreased and lubricated, chain tension was spot on. Brake pads had plenty life in them.

I rode the 60 miles to Knockhill through some horrendous weather, the forecast wasnít looking that great and I decided that if it was really wet then Iíd sit it out, no point risking my road bike. There was a members track day from 16:00-18:00 which a few mates were doing so I headed up early to watch them and make the most of it.

By 18:00 the track was bone dry, it looked as if it was going to stay away. Our session was from 18:00-20:00, I headed out and gradually went faster and faster trying to get heat in the Bridgestone RS10ís before pushing really hard, or within reason. I wasnít comfortable, I think with it being my road bike and the fact I have to ride it home afterwards was playing on my mind.

I didnít feel as smooth at first, it was hard to get in to a rhythm at first as there was 3 quick red flags, after the 3rd red flag there was a spell where I got to put in lap after lap and then I started to get in the swing of things. I started to push and felt more comfortable, braking later, cornering much faster and getting on the gas sooner, then the rain came just after 19:00hrs so I came in, had a chat with a few then decided to shoot off, it was a long ride home, and cold. I was sore as usual, but definitely had a good time and chuffed.

best time was a 58.6! Iím fairly certain if the rain had stayed away Iíd have went quicker. Maybe take the bike out for one or two days next year.

As for the bike itself, when I started pushing the suspension started giving me problems, especially at the hairpin, the feedback I was getting from the rear was worrying. It was still on my road settings and tbh I should have changed them but I couldnít be arsed, I decided with the pace I was going which it wasnít a huge issue I could just keep going at, it was fast enough to have fun so I left it well alone. Another issue I was having was knowing what gears I was in, usually Knockhill goes like this - start/finish up into 6th on the brakes back 2 to 4th for Duffus - back straight up into 6th on the brakes then back 4th to 2nd for the hairpin. But because of the gearing I was only getting 5th but Iíd subconsciously think I had reached 6th and would come back to 3rd for Duffus and for the hairpin Iíd end up having to quickly look at my dash to see what gear I was in, which Iíd rather not be doing. The bike felt mega fast and frantic, it would be a mega weapon on track with suspension changes and the gearing changes. The std gearing is 17/44 so either a -1 16t change or maybe a +1 45 would be all thatís needed, as itís my road bike I wouldnít want to go extreme plus Iíd be able to use the current chain with them set ups. I wouldnít be surprised if some track specific gen 1 bikes run 16/46 which I wouldnít bother with for the road bike.

All in all Iím pleased, great night, had some fun and got my moneyís worth.