Mobile Speed Camera Vans - Page 2 - ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Mobile Speed Camera Vans

Old 24 November 2010, 07:19 AM
  #31  
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Norman Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear
Posts: 2,962
Default

You can even see the evidence on the internet these days.

Norman Dog is offline  
Old 24 November 2010, 08:55 AM
  #32  
smokingkills
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
smokingkills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MY 98 STI 4
Posts: 490
Default

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery View Post
I find this one tends to slow them up a bit.
I was on my way to the office, not in any kind of hurry. I found myself wanting to take 5, so I parked up behind this van and opened the bonnet, so as to allow some air at the motor. I sat in the car, read the paper, did the crossword, walked around for a bit and took a couple of pictures. (Free Country!)
When I decided to leave, I asked the nice man in the van to move, as he was impeding my lawful progress onto the motorway, parked where he was. After a brief discussion on the subject, he duly cleared off.
It was pointed out to me that my life could be made difficult in the future, as he would most certainly have taken my reg number.
As the car belonged to my brother I wasn't fussed in the least!

Quality Alan
smokingkills is offline  
Old 24 November 2010, 01:54 PM
  #33  
New_scooby_04
Moderator
iTrader: (4)
 
New_scooby_04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Terry Crews of moderation. P P P P P P POWER!!
Posts: 18,688
Default

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery View Post
I find this one tends to slow them up a bit.
I was on my way to the office, not in any kind of hurry. I found myself wanting to take 5, so I parked up behind this van and opened the bonnet, so as to allow some air at the motor. I sat in the car, read the paper, did the crossword, walked around for a bit and took a couple of pictures. (Free Country!)
When I decided to leave, I asked the nice man in the van to move, as he was impeding my lawful progress onto the motorway, parked where he was. After a brief discussion on the subject, he duly cleared off.
It was pointed out to me that my life could be made difficult in the future, as he would most certainly have taken my reg number.
As the car belonged to my brother I wasn't fussed in the least!



Though I'm guessing that your brother won't be inviting you around for Xmas dinner anytime soon, Alan
New_scooby_04 is offline  
Old 24 November 2010, 02:10 PM
  #34  
lazadude
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
lazadude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fleet, Hants
Posts: 266
Default

Originally Posted by Norman Dog View Post
You can even see the evidence on the internet these days.


Pretty sure Targeting the bonnet is a no no too.... due to laser refraction... They are told to aim at a flat surface such as the numberplate to prevent the laser spilling and increasing the speed read up. I would have argued that.
lazadude is offline  
Old 24 November 2010, 02:53 PM
  #35  
Saalro
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: N/A
Posts: 2,310
Default

Man if i do get somethingin the post, do you think it's a good idea to send what i want off one by one lol to waste time. Ask for photo eveidence, then when i receive it back, ask for calibration and so on?

If i can hold it off for a year i can save some insurance money lol.

Thanks

Last edited by Saalro; 05 October 2017 at 09:30 PM.
Saalro is offline  
Old 24 November 2010, 02:59 PM
  #36  
lazadude
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
lazadude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fleet, Hants
Posts: 266
Default

I think it works along th elines of you ask for evidence (photo etc) once, then you have to decide what you are pleading (guilty or not -[court appearance]). dont think you can string it out much...

plus insurance companies ask about any "pending charges", well Admiral did for me anyway...
lazadude is offline  
Old 24 November 2010, 03:01 PM
  #37  
Saalro
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: N/A
Posts: 2,310
Default

Ah okay, i'll write i list of evidence i want, make it real ****ing long haha.

Thanks

Last edited by Saalro; 05 October 2017 at 09:30 PM.
Saalro is offline  
Old 24 November 2010, 03:26 PM
  #38  
New_scooby_04
Moderator
iTrader: (4)
 
New_scooby_04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Terry Crews of moderation. P P P P P P POWER!!
Posts: 18,688
Default

It's worth pointing out that this isn't just all about people that have been caught "fair and square" (if such an expression can be applied to mobile speed cameras) trying to dodge the bullet. There has been very real concern over the accuracy of the readings obtained by these devices, and thus the validity of the convictions obtained using them!

The reliability of the evidence such devices provide is contingent upon proper calibration of the equipment and its appropriate use by a trained operator. If these conditions are not met, then the readings obtained from the device are unreliable and will not reflect the true speed of the vehicle. For example: it has been demonstrated that if mobile cameras are not used correctly, it is perfectly possible to get a speed reading off a stationary vehicle.

By asking for this evidence, you're not just trying to exploit loopholes having been caught doing something wrong; you're taking reasonable steps to ensure that you were doing something wrong in the first place.

Who wants to get punished for an offence they did not comit because of a mistake on someone else's part?

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 24 November 2010 at 03:32 PM.
New_scooby_04 is offline  
Old 24 November 2010, 03:40 PM
  #39  
Saalro
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: N/A
Posts: 2,310
Default

I'll be using your wording there if it comes to it ha.

Thanks

Last edited by Saalro; 05 October 2017 at 09:30 PM.
Saalro is offline  
Old 24 November 2010, 03:52 PM
  #40  
Glowplug
Orange Club
iTrader: (8)
 
Glowplug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: On The Road!
Posts: 5,027
Default

Originally Posted by Saalro View Post
Ah okay, i'll write i list of evidence i want, make it real ****ing long haha.

Thanks
Sam
I just asked for the evidence they will be using against me and they sent everything in one envolope.
Glowplug is offline  
Old 24 November 2010, 04:39 PM
  #41  
lazadude
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
lazadude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fleet, Hants
Posts: 266
Default

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 View Post
The reliability of the evidence such devices provide is contingent upon proper calibration of the equipment and its appropriate use by a trained operator. If these conditions are not met, then the readings obtained from the device are unreliable and will not reflect the true speed of the vehicle. For example: it has been demonstrated that if mobile cameras are not used correctly, it is perfectly possible to get a speed reading off a stationary vehicle.
Such as the piece of US law that actually saw the guns the police over here use banned for that sort speed checking after a guy clocked his house doing 13mph.... Shame US judgements cant be used in court over here.

Its all to do with as said before about the laser not hitting a flat surface, square on.
lazadude is offline  
Old 24 November 2010, 04:59 PM
  #42  
Glowplug
Orange Club
iTrader: (8)
 
Glowplug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: On The Road!
Posts: 5,027
Default

Originally Posted by lazadude View Post
Its all to do with as said before about the laser not hitting a flat surface, square on.
Which is impossible to achive.

They would have to lay in the road, aiming at your number plate. Not a bad idea.
Glowplug is offline  
Old 24 November 2010, 05:00 PM
  #43  
ste_m
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
ste_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 109
Default

Just got a letter through 85mph on the A483 on the way to the WRC Saturday morning
Van hiding over the crest of a hill !!!
Whats the punishment now.

Steve
ste_m is offline  
Old 24 November 2010, 05:03 PM
  #44  
Saalro
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: N/A
Posts: 2,310
Default

Man damn cameras, i'm taking them all out lol.
Thanks

Last edited by Saalro; 05 October 2017 at 09:30 PM.
Saalro is offline  
Old 24 November 2010, 05:14 PM
  #45  
Glowplug
Orange Club
iTrader: (8)
 
Glowplug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: On The Road!
Posts: 5,027
Default

Originally Posted by ste_m View Post
Just got a letter through 85mph on the A483 on the way to the WRC Saturday morning
Van hiding over the crest of a hill !!!
Whats the punishment now.

Steve
If thats a dual carriageway NSL then you might just, if your lucky get the 3pts and 60. However if it's a NSL, or less single carrage way, you may very well be looking at more.

edit: Found this. Not good.

Last edited by Glowplug; 24 November 2010 at 05:20 PM.
Glowplug is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
KAS35RSTI
Subaru
24
07 March 2019 12:06 AM
Sam Witwicky
Engine Management and ECU Remapping
17
13 November 2015 10:49 AM
shorty87
Subaru Parts
1
07 October 2015 11:52 AM
BLU
Computer & Technology Related
11
02 October 2015 12:53 PM
Ganz1983
Subaru
5
02 October 2015 09:22 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mobile Speed Camera Vans


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.