Boris remarks about burkas - Page 3 - ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum



Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Boris remarks about burkas

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09 August 2018, 12:05 AM   #61  
Martin2005
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Type 25. Build No.34
Posts: 8,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by An0n0m0us View Post
Lol so we mustn't make assumptions about women in burkas but blokes in crash helmets are fair game. I think that's called reverse discrimination.
It's not an assumption.

As you like to say 'it's a fact'

If there had been a spate of Burkas related petrol forecourt crime, then I'd be with you.

Last edited by Martin2005; 09 August 2018 at 12:07 AM.
Martin2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2018, 12:08 AM   #62  
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 3,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2005 View Post
It's not an assumption.

As you like to say 'it's a fact'
I have given you links to where burkas have been used in robberies just the same as if a crash helmet had been used.

Clearly Denmark and the other countries who have banned it in public have a different view to yourself and see plenty of reason as to why it shouldn't be allowed.
An0n0m0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2018, 12:10 AM   #63  
Martin2005
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Type 25. Build No.34
Posts: 8,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by An0n0m0us View Post
I have given you links to where burkas have been used in robberies just the same as if a crash helmet had been used.

Clearly Denmark and the other countries who have banned it in public have a different view to yourself and see plenty of reason as to why it shouldn't be allowed.
You are on the weakest possible grounds, claiming that a ban would have anything to do with criminality.

Last edited by Martin2005; 09 August 2018 at 12:13 AM.
Martin2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2018, 12:19 AM   #64  
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 3,392
Default

No i'm not as countries have banned the use of burkas in public and so they had good reason to be able to pass such a law.
An0n0m0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2018, 12:23 AM   #65  
Martin2005
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Type 25. Build No.34
Posts: 8,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by An0n0m0us View Post
No i'm not as countries have banned the use of burkas in public and so they had good reason to be able to pass such a law.
Did that have anything to do with criminality?

If it did then I must assume they also banned fancy dress outfits, as, statistically, they would have been used in several more orders magnitudes of crimes than Burkas.

It's just a nonsense argument. You should at least stick to reality. I accept there are many reasons why Burkas present issues to society, but criminality demonstrably isn't one of them.

I'm also waiting to hear a argument that makes sensible case as to how banning Burkas would do more good than harm.

Last edited by Martin2005; 09 August 2018 at 12:36 AM.
Martin2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2018, 09:20 AM   #66  
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Friedrichshafen Germany/Preston UK
Posts: 1,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by An0n0m0us View Post
So you think that's it when I clearly said that was just from a quick google search with no effort put in to looking?

It makes me laugh when comparing a burka to a crash helmet as mentioned earlier in this thread. As a biker for 25 years I can tell everyone you cant go into shops or petrol stations without being asked to remove your crash helmet for security reasons. Try asking someone wearing a burka to remove it for the same reason.
This is where I agree and stated so above. The owners of shops etc. have the right to require you to identify yourself before entering a premises and the right should be applied equally, Burka or Bike helmet.

Banning the Burka won't solve any problems, on the contrary, it will only infuriate and increase anger. And my opinion stands, that it goes against the rights of freedom that we have in the UK!

If you really feel passionate about women being forced by their religion to wear the Burka, rather than taking a negative approach by simply banning it, I would suggest a better approach would be positively educate the community to encourage them not to wear it. Getting someone to do something voluntarily is always better then forcing them to do it! Have any of those countries that have banned the burka seen any sort of reduction in Islamic terrorism as a direct result?
BMWhere? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2018, 09:26 AM   #67  
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Friedrichshafen Germany/Preston UK
Posts: 1,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by An0n0m0us View Post
I have given you links to where burkas have been used in robberies just the same as if a crash helmet had been used.
Funnily enough, in many of those cases, its white Christian men that are wearing them! Criminals have always used disguises when committing crimes and the disguise of choice changes regularly, be it balaclava, bike helmet, burka, a hoodie and scarf or a V for Vendetta mask! If your argument for banning the Burka is because a few criminals have used it as a disguise, then your argument has to be applied to wearing any sort of disguise - goodbye Halloween!
BMWhere? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2018, 10:33 AM   #68  
alcazar
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Rl'yeh
Posts: 40,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fuji View Post
Acceptable until the law says so, I think you'll find. It is still a tiny minority of people who wear bhurkas. I can honestly say I see more Japanese tourists wearing face masks than I do people wearing bhurkas. As for people in motorcycle helmets........
But the law DOES NOT require folk wearing balaclavas and motorcycle helmets to uncover at petrol stations, or in banks. Yet the places themselves DO require that. And would enforce it by refusal of service if anyone refused to uncover.

Why, then, do they not require a burkha-wearing person to do the same?

It's the apparent inequality that annoys most folk, you'll find. I couldn't give a monkey's toss if they want to go round ACTUALLY dressed as post boxes, let alone as they presently do, but if the rules state something, it's NOT one thing for us and one for them.

As for wearing the burkha and driving.........:
alcazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2018, 10:40 AM   #69  
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcazar View Post
But the law DOES NOT require folk wearing balaclavas and motorcycle helmets to uncover at petrol stations, or in banks. Yet the places themselves DO require that. And would enforce it by refusal of service if anyone refused to uncover.

Why, then, do they not require a burkha-wearing person to do the same?

It's the apparent inequality that annoys most folk, you'll find. I couldn't give a monkey's toss if they want to go round ACTUALLY dressed as post boxes, let alone as they presently do, but if the rules state something, it's NOT one thing for us and one for them.

As for wearing the burkha and driving.........:
I think you'll find (rarely!)that we are actually agreeing on this point. I did say in another post that where required, they should have to show their faces. I think that is perfectly reasonable, and yes, it is discriminatory to ask people to remove a bike helmet or similar and not a bhurka.

As for the bhurka and driving, as long as it doesn't interfere with them controlling the vehicle? Maybe they are made from flame retardent cloth, and they are all about safety.........

Anyway, I'm going for a sit down.......
Mr Fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2018, 01:05 PM   #70  
trails
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (41)
 
trails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in the woods...........555 Wagon Sqn
Posts: 12,818
Default

Most relevant interviews around this issue have been from an organisation that are trying to address gender equality within Islam, their feedback is that liberals defending the bhurka/niqab (on the back of the Boris comments) are actually harming their work to date.

Sorry can't remember the organisations name, it was on 6Music news last night.
trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2018, 01:43 PM   #71  
urban
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: N.Ireland
Posts: 12,253
Default

The women wearing the burkas with no slit at the front were hilarious looking when I was in Dubia earlier this year.
Whilst I tried not to look, women eating wearing them was equally as stupid.
Unhook it, or lift it up a bit, insert some food in the gob, and hook it back on again, or left go of it.
urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2018, 01:57 PM   #72  
trails
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (41)
 
trails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in the woods...........555 Wagon Sqn
Posts: 12,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban View Post
The women wearing the burkas with no slit at the front were hilarious looking when I was in Dubia earlier this year.
Whilst I tried not to look, women eating wearing them was equally as stupid.
Unhook it, or lift it up a bit, insert some food in the gob, and hook it back on again, or left go of it.
They are fricking ridiculous and just a means of subjugation.
trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2018, 03:16 PM   #73  
alcazar
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Rl'yeh
Posts: 40,444
Default

Loving the bit about talking them into not wearing a burkha, from our resident liberals.

Isn't that called appeasement? Tell me how that went for you last time??? LOL
alcazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2018, 03:46 PM   #74  
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Friedrichshafen Germany/Preston UK
Posts: 1,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcazar View Post
Loving the bit about talking them into not wearing a burkha, from our resident liberals.

Isn't that called appeasement? Tell me how that went for you last time??? LOL
Interestingly, that's exactly the point that Boris was making in his article! If he could have done it without using petty insults at the same time, then his article would have been pretty much on the mark. Instead, he's getting lamented for Islamophobia, overshadowing his positive message about changing attitudes rather than banning the Burka!
BMWhere? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2018, 07:20 PM   #75  
markjmd
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcazar View Post
Loving the bit about talking them into not wearing a burkha, from our resident liberals.

Isn't that called appeasement? Tell me how that went for you last time??? LOL
My guess is that it ended with you being twatted around the head with a very large and heavy dictionary.
markjmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2018, 07:26 PM   #76  
alcazar
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Rl'yeh
Posts: 40,444
Default

LOL, what a complete **** you are.

No expalanation, just a supposed clever post.

Fukc off you [email protected]
alcazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 12:22 AM   #77  
Martin2005
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Type 25. Build No.34
Posts: 8,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcazar View Post
LOL, what a complete **** you are.

No expalanation, just a supposed clever post.

Fukc off you [email protected]
interesting, you don't believe that women should be free to choose what they wear, yet presumably you think you should be free to insult whoever you want, in any way you want?
Martin2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 07:41 AM   #78  
alanbell
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Yorkshire.
Posts: 6,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban View Post
The women wearing the burkas with no slit at the front were hilarious looking when I was in Dubia earlier this year.
Whilst I tried not to look, women eating wearing them was equally as stupid.
Unhook it, or lift it up a bit, insert some food in the gob, and hook it back on again, or left go of it.
A Lady was doing this in Harvey Niks in Leeds last Saturday, ( well someone dressed in a burka ??? )
alanbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 07:50 AM   #79  
urban
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: N.Ireland
Posts: 12,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbell View Post
A Lady was doing this in Harvey Niks in Leeds last Saturday, ( well someone dressed in a burka ??? )
Its ridiculous. I recently visited Dublin, and went into a large shopping centre.
Someone with a hoodie was stopped by security and asked to lower the hood, a women(presumably) in a burka almost immediately walked straight in, not a peep out of the security guard.

Its funny you mention presumably.
I chap I know does security work somewhere close to Iraq. He told me once, that the first thing he looks at is the size of the hands and feet, to try to give him a clue who is approaching

Last edited by urban; 10 August 2018 at 07:53 AM.
urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 08:56 AM   #80  
trails
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (41)
 
trails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in the woods...........555 Wagon Sqn
Posts: 12,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2005 View Post
interesting, you don't believe that women should be free to choose what they wear, yet presumably you think you should be free to insult whoever you want, in any way you want?
Ignoring that mad old sod for a moment Martin...do you not agree that these forms of dress are subjugation and should not be done away with; isn't this an opportunity to support the organisations working within Islam to fight for equal rights?

trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 09:40 AM   #81  
Martin2005
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Type 25. Build No.34
Posts: 8,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trails View Post
Ignoring that mad old sod for a moment Martin...do you not agree that these forms of dress are subjugation and should not be done away with; isn't this an opportunity to support the organisations working within Islam to fight for equal rights?
I support a woman's right to wear what she wants. Therefore clearly I don't agree with subjugation.
Martin2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 09:46 AM   #82  
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trails View Post
Ignoring that mad old sod for a moment Martin...do you not agree that these forms of dress are subjugation and should not be done away with; isn't this an opportunity to support the organisations working within Islam to fight for equal rights?
They should be done away with, but only by the women wearing them choosing to reject them. Legislation is unlikely to work and will alienate people.
Mr Fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 09:48 AM   #83  
trails
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (41)
 
trails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: in the woods...........555 Wagon Sqn
Posts: 12,818
Default

I just wish I could find the organisation I heard quoted on the news, the interviewee was excellent and I'd like to hear the whole piece.
trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 12:20 PM   #84  
1509joe
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Not sure
Posts: 1,337
Default

The comments are Hilarious but true.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/rowan-atki...064502765.html
1509joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 06:55 PM   #85  
Martin2005
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Type 25. Build No.34
Posts: 8,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1509joe View Post
The comments are Hilarious but true.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/rowan-atki...064502765.html
Hilarious indeed. Mainly written by people who clearly haven't read the article, and don't mind being 'played' by Boris.
Martin2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 07:55 PM   #86  
1509joe
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Not sure
Posts: 1,337
Default

Beginning to think your a recruitment officer for migrant workers
1509joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 08:22 PM   #87  
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bristol/West Wales
Posts: 471
Default

What's ridiculous about all this is the minuscule number of burka-wearing muslim women. In France, which has had a ban since 2011, the French secret service found that only 367 women actually wore them, and then only occasionally. That's 0.01% of the French muslim population. So in reality, it's a non issue that is being used to trigger islamophobes. Boris knows exactly how to do this, by adopting Trump-style populist language. "Good old Boris, he tells it like it is". This is all about Boris, not burkas. Personally, I think they're ridiculous in this country and in this day and age, and my Afghani neighbour thinks so too. She wears a Hijab, a headscarf remarkably similar to the one worn by the Queen when she's out in the Landy at Sandringham.
Sad Weevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 08:53 PM   #88  
Martin2005
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Type 25. Build No.34
Posts: 8,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1509joe View Post
Beginning to think your a recruitment officer for migrant workers
Well I do recruit a lot of overseas workers... And?
Martin2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 08:58 PM   #89  
dpb
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: riding the crest of a wave ...
Posts: 45,539
Default

Should make Boris wear the burka , maybe it would save a lot of fuss
dpb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 09:27 PM   #90  
1509joe
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Not sure
Posts: 1,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2005 View Post
Well I do recruit a lot of overseas workers... And?
Enough said
1509joe is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson, Boris ....... MadMark The Muppet Room 3 28 September 2004 10:50 AM
***Boris Alert*** unclebuck Non Scooby Related 0 15 November 2003 11:23 PM
Boris on Room l0l unclebuck Non Scooby Related 15 15 November 2003 09:17 PM
Boris Johnson hosts Have I Got News... unclebuck Non Scooby Related 13 01 December 2002 05:19 AM
BORIS JOHNSON DRIVES A SCOOB!! skipjack ScoobyNet General 15 27 September 2000 09:50 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:17 PM.


© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.