Fekking Ryanair - Page 2 - ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum



Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fekking Ryanair

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12 July 2018, 04:45 PM   #31  
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular
 
mrtheedge2u2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fuji View Post
I don't see your logic here. Why does owning a home abroad and flying on cheap airlines not equate? Why pay several hundred pounds to to fly to somewhere nearby in Europe when you can do it for peanuts? This is simply good sense. I have been on numerous EasyJet and Ryanair flights where some of the people boarding have been obviously very well heeled!

I admit if I was loaded and flying more than about 3 hours I would pay, but for Spain and France, you're joking!
I am not saying not to fly on low-cost airlines (hell even I have been known to fly on sleazy jet), I am saying if you buy a very, very expensive purchase, like a house, and the only way you can do this is if the low-cost airlines never raise their prices then maybe buying a very, very expensive purchase, like a house, is not the way forward.

Last edited by mrtheedge2u2; 12 July 2018 at 04:47 PM.
mrtheedge2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 05:07 PM   #32  
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Friedrichshafen Germany/Preston UK
Posts: 1,754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2 View Post
I am not saying not to fly on low-cost airlines (hell even I have been known to fly on sleazy jet), I am saying if you buy a very, very expensive purchase, like a house, and the only way you can do this is if the low-cost airlines never raise their prices then maybe buying a very, very expensive purchase, like a house, is not the way forward.
Its the same mentality as people who buy performance cars and then fit cheap remould tyres because they can't really afford the running costs involved.

If you buy a second property abroad, you have to consider the costs of travelling to that property. If you can't afford the full fares of normal airlines, then you probably can't really afford to invest in a second property abroad.


Sadly, the modern consumer driven society means that people rarely consider the full costs of their purchases before buying. Even with first homes, how many people don't think about the stamp duty and solicitors costs let alone the cost of furnishings or the risk of interest rate rises?
BMWhere? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 05:16 PM   #33  
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular
 
mrtheedge2u2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,910
Default

^^BMWhere, come on man, you know common sense is not want folks want to hear.
mrtheedge2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 05:21 PM   #34  
Wurzel
Scooby Senior
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Wildberg, Germany/Reading, UK
Posts: 9,205
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2 View Post
^^BMWhere, come on man, you know common sense is not want folks want to hear.

Isn't it a prerequisite of being on Scoobynet that you leave your common sense at the door, aswell as spelling, grammar and punctuation.

Last edited by Wurzel; 12 July 2018 at 05:22 PM.
Wurzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 05:35 PM   #35  
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Friedrichshafen Germany/Preston UK
Posts: 1,754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzel View Post
Isn't it a prerequisite of being on Scoobynet that you leave your common sense at the door, aswell as spelling, grammar and punctuation.
BMWhere? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 09:45 PM   #36  
Torquemada
Scooby Regular
 
Torquemada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 'Murica
Posts: 3,614
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWhere? View Post
Its the same mentality as people who buy performance cars and then fit cheap remould tyres because they can't really afford the running costs involved.

If you buy a second property abroad, you have to consider the costs of travelling to that property. If you can't afford the full fares of normal airlines, then you probably can't really afford to invest in a second property abroad.


Sadly, the modern consumer driven society means that people rarely consider the full costs of their purchases before buying. Even with first homes, how many people don't think about the stamp duty and solicitors costs let alone the cost of furnishings or the risk of interest rate rises?
Or, the key here could be that having a property abroad could be seen as something that vastly improves the quality of someones life (especially when retired or ill) and so some compromises are worth making, like cheaper travel.

A cheap flight is just a way of enabling enjoyment in that better quality of life - difference being that a cheap flight is less likely to cause you to die than budget tires on a performance car are

Nothing wrong with saving a few pennies on a cheap flight if it is short, no matter how much money you have.
Torquemada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 11:05 PM   #37  
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular
 
mrtheedge2u2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquemada View Post
Or, the key here could be that having a property abroad could be seen as something that vastly improves the quality of someones life (especially when retired or ill) and so some compromises are worth making, like cheaper travel.

A cheap flight is just a way of enabling enjoyment in that better quality of life - difference being that a cheap flight is less likely to cause you to die than budget tires on a performance car are

Nothing wrong with saving a few pennies on a cheap flight if it is short, no matter how much money you have.
we are not talking about saving pennies. Alcnutzar is saying he has trillions of people that he knows that can only afford their second house due to low-cost flights. My argument is that if that is the case you probably really cannot afford that 2nd house.
mrtheedge2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 11:43 PM   #38  
Torquemada
Scooby Regular
 
Torquemada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 'Murica
Posts: 3,614
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2 View Post
we are not talking about saving pennies. Alcnutzar is saying he has trillions of people that he knows that can only afford their second house due to low-cost flights. My argument is that if that is the case you probably really cannot afford that 2nd house.
yeah, ok, if you cannot afford your 2nd place unless you take Tesco's Own Brand flights then there is a problem - that would suggest there is no backup plan if somethign goes wrong and you need some money to fix it.

I get what you are saying, I was just giving my alternative to "you must be able to afford better flights if you are able to afford a 2nd home" which perhaps you were not exactly saying!
Torquemada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 02:01 AM   #39  
joz8968
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (13)
 
joz8968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indochina......hiding inside a bowl of rice
Posts: 23,681
Default

There ain't no Ryan 'ere.

SWIDT
joz8968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 06:00 AM   #40  
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
RobsyUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Milk on Beans
Posts: 4,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWhere? View Post
Its the same mentality as people who buy performance cars and then fit cheap remould tyres because they can't really afford the running costs involved.

If you buy a second property abroad, you have to consider the costs of travelling to that property. If you can't afford the full fares of normal airlines, then you probably can't really afford to invest in a second property abroad.


Sadly, the modern consumer driven society means that people rarely consider the full costs of their purchases before buying. Even with first homes, how many people don't think about the stamp duty and solicitors costs let alone the cost of furnishings or the risk of interest rate rises?
cheap tyres is nothing like a cheap flight. Tyres are saftey a flight is a flight.
you should probably compare an M&S ready meal to a Tesco value one. You donít really enjoy it but you have to eat and youíre trying to save money.
RobsyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 08:15 AM   #41  
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2 View Post
we are not talking about saving pennies. Alcnutzar is saying he has trillions of people that he knows that can only afford their second house due to low-cost flights. My argument is that if that is the case you probably really cannot afford that 2nd house.
Ah ok, I must have missed that post, one does tend to skip a bit! Yes, that does seem a bit odd, a very thin margin to exist on.

I suppose like any property though, it increases in value whilst your payments decrease, so it is an investment that may be worth the risk of that margin?
Mr Fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 08:31 AM   #42  
dpb
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: riding the crest of a wave ...
Posts: 45,496
Default

People invest ON the basis of new low cost airline routes i think

What might happen if that route was withdrawn...
dpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 09:15 AM   #43  
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Friedrichshafen Germany/Preston UK
Posts: 1,754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsyUK View Post


cheap tyres is nothing like a cheap flight. Tyres are saftey a flight is a flight.
you should probably compare an M&S ready meal to a Tesco value one. You donít really enjoy it but you have to eat and youíre trying to save money.
The point is not about the tyres, its about buying something whn you can only just afford the inital cost, but don't consider the additional costs that go with that purchase.

With a car, you have tax, insurance, tyres, maintenance costs etc. If you can't afford the running costs, you can't afford the car!


The same with a house, you also have taxes, maintenance costs, services, insurance and if its a second home in a foreign country, flights to get there!


Sure, if there are cheap flights available, take them, but don't depend on them because budget airlines are notoriously unreliable!
BMWhere? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 09:21 AM   #44  
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular
 
mrtheedge2u2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpb View Post

What might happen if that route was withdrawn...
I imagine Alcazar would be on here screaming about how outrageous it is that an airline can put economics first.
mrtheedge2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 09:31 AM   #45  
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Friedrichshafen Germany/Preston UK
Posts: 1,754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2 View Post
I imagine Alcazar would be on here screaming about how outrageous it is that an airline can put economics first.
Wait till we crash out of Brexit and the open skies agreement, then there won't be any flights, budget or otherwise
BMWhere? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 10:03 AM   #46  
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular
 
mrtheedge2u2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,910
Default

Luckily 99% of my flights head southwards from Schiphol so closing the UK airspace would not really impact me.
mrtheedge2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 10:08 AM   #47  
Wurzel
Scooby Senior
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Wildberg, Germany/Reading, UK
Posts: 9,205
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWhere? View Post
With a car, you have tax, insurance, tyres, maintenance costs etc. If you can't afford the running costs, you can't afford the car!



It is the same with kids but that doesn't stop people having them and expecting everyone else to pay for them.


Child support, tax credit, family allowance, child care etc. etc. etc.
Wurzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 03:17 PM   #48  
Torquemada
Scooby Regular
 
Torquemada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 'Murica
Posts: 3,614
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzel View Post
It is the same with kids but that doesn't stop people having them and expecting everyone else to pay for them.


Child support, tax credit, family allowance, child care etc. etc. etc.
I don't think they have brought in 2nd Home Flight Allowance yet
Torquemada is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ryanair ARRGGHH! Steve vRS Non Scooby Related 2 18 October 2007 09:52 PM
Boycott Ryanair KiwiGTI Non Scooby Related 12 06 September 2006 11:40 AM
New Ryanair security procedures Amen Corner The Muppet Room 12 22 August 2006 07:53 PM
Ryanairís CheckíNíGo Service FLAT ERIC Non Scooby Related 6 30 March 2006 07:50 PM
Ryanair.......any comments. paulr Non Scooby Related 23 20 January 2006 02:27 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:02 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.