Hatch Exhaust - Page 2 - ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum



Hatch Exhaust

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14 January 2018, 04:44 PM   #31  
PT82
Scooby Regular
 
PT82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Mid Wales
Posts: 291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesetter View Post
Dinitrol?

Tidy job - it's not sprayed everywhere

I thought Torque did a clearcoat, not the black you have (says so on their web site)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpan View Post
Do you know if they have a clear coat available as opposed to the back one?

Edit: ^What bonesetter said.
Dinitrol iirc. I don't recall being offered a clear coat as that's what I would have gone for.
PT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 09:38 PM   #32  
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: far, far west
Posts: 1,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesetter View Post
So, I've narrowed my choice down to either going turbo back Cobra with decat and resonator. I quite like the sound of it, and feedback is noise levels are what I'm after

Or, a Miltek decat d/pipe which is certain to make things louder

Edit: H&S in the running too. Same price as Cobra and I had one fitted on a 2004 2.0 JDM I owned a few years back which sounded brilliant
Cobra definitely don't do a jdm downpipe, I've asked them
hedgecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 09:47 PM   #33  
bonesetter
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
bonesetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Midlands
Posts: 3,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgecutter View Post
Cobra definitely don't do a jdm downpipe, I've asked them
Bugger. Thanks. Yes, JDM twin scroll decat pipes are a bit sketchy

H&S are looking favourite then, and I'm going to speak Milltek tomorrow about the d/pipe
bonesetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 09:54 PM   #34  
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
RAGGY DOO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: co cork
Posts: 2,008
Default

The miltek one I got had to be drilled for rear lambda the hole was in totally wrong place
Then on start up the weld was leaking had have that repaired on a brand new front pipe
Was not impressed
RAGGY DOO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 08:34 AM   #35  
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: far, far west
Posts: 1,451
Default

Infinity at Bristol do whatever you want for about 25% cheaper than H and S, very prompt at answering questions, only difference is that they make the exhaust on the spot, specifically for your car, and it doesn't leave until it is perfect.
hedgecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 04:35 PM   #36  
bonesetter
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
bonesetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Midlands
Posts: 3,299
Default

Result

Had the resonator removed today and the difference has made the sound pretty much exactly what I was after

Made what would be called a definite difference, and for me what was too quiet before, is great now

Pottering and NSL cruising is quiet. Any use of throttle lights things up with certain rpm's louder that others and boost makes everything better/deeper etc

Car in for mapping Thursday, so may change a little more
bonesetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 07:58 PM   #37  
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: far, far west
Posts: 1,451
Default

Who is mapping it? Hope they sort any "stumble" at around 3000rpm. 3port boost solenoid makes it much easier for mapper to control boost
hedgecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 08:05 PM   #38  
AbbasSTI
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (36)
 
AbbasSTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Stalybridge
Posts: 966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesetter View Post
Result

Had the resonator removed today and the difference has made the sound pretty much exactly what I was after

Made what would be called a definite difference, and for me what was too quiet before, is great now

Pottering and NSL cruising is quiet. Any use of throttle lights things up with certain rpm's louder that others and boost makes everything better/deeper etc

Car in for mapping Thursday, so may change a little more
Did you get a mid pipe without a resonator or cut the Milltek up?
AbbasSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 08:10 PM   #39  
bonesetter
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
bonesetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Midlands
Posts: 3,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgecutter View Post
Who is mapping it? Hope they sort any "stumble" at around 3000rpm. 3port boost solenoid makes it much easier for mapper to control boost
There is a stumble indeed at around 3K - what makes you ask HG - common issue?
bonesetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 08:13 PM   #40  
bonesetter
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
bonesetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Midlands
Posts: 3,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbasSTI View Post
Did you get a mid pipe without a resonator or cut the Milltek up?
I went to a place that makes exhausts and they removed the resonator box from the pipe and put in a replacement (straight patch pipe). I got them to flange up the ends of the resonator section so it will easily go back in if desired (but it works so well I can't see that happening)

.

Last edited by bonesetter; 16 January 2018 at 08:39 PM.
bonesetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 08:34 PM   #41  
AbbasSTI
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (36)
 
AbbasSTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Stalybridge
Posts: 966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesetter View Post
I went to a place that makes exhausts and they removed the resonator box from the pipe and put in a replacement. I got them to flange up the ends of the resonator section so it will easily go back in if desired (but it works so well I can't see that happening)
I'll be doing the same at some point. So thanks for the RnD
AbbasSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 08:45 PM   #42  
bonesetter
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
bonesetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Midlands
Posts: 3,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbasSTI View Post
I'll be doing the same at some point. So thanks for the RnD
Glad it's helpful

Very recommended. I'm well pleased with the result.

You could just as easily buy a Miltek centre pipe, which costs ~90 delivered and it's an easy diy swap

Had I not been so impatient, and had a re-map booked 2 days later I may have gone that route. As it was both were the same money and now I only have to store a small box and not a long pipe with box
bonesetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 09:11 AM   #43  
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: far, far west
Posts: 1,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesetter View Post
There is a stumble indeed at around 3K - what makes you ask HG - common issue?
Google "grb stumble" on American sites; Subaru changed the fpr on the hatch, and added dampers to the fuel line. They then used the fuel compensation tables to smooth it out, but upping the power makes it worse. I think it can be mapped out by spending time on it; solutions with varying degrees of success involve longer fuel line, removing dampers and an uprated or Hawk fpr, or parallel fuel rails for a certain fix.
I would be really interested in feedback from your mapper, as I am still humming and hahing about mine. Did Darren say who mapped it initially?
hedgecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 01:47 PM   #44  
bonesetter
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
bonesetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Midlands
Posts: 3,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgecutter View Post
Google "grb stumble" on American sites; Subaru changed the fpr on the hatch, and added dampers to the fuel line. They then used the fuel compensation tables to smooth it out, but upping the power makes it worse. I think it can be mapped out by spending time on it; solutions with varying degrees of success involve longer fuel line, removing dampers and an uprated or Hawk fpr, or parallel fuel rails for a certain fix.
I would be really interested in feedback from your mapper, as I am still humming and hahing about mine. Did Darren say who mapped it initially?
Thanks for that info HC. To be forewarned is to be forearmed (for my mapper tomorrow)

The car has been mapped twice now, firstly at Surrey RR (presumably JGM) and then end of last year by Andy Carr
bonesetter is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fast Hatch to Mega Fast Hatch enginetuner style!! jaypSTi Projects 99 30 March 2018 11:53 AM
JDM Hatch UK Hatch Imprezel General Technical 38 11 January 2018 10:59 PM
Sti hatch alloys with tyres 120 or swap for hatch Sti bits ethanrob Wheels And Tyres For Sale 0 03 March 2014 10:47 AM
Blue hatch near east peckham, and silver hatch in flimwell Sturbo87 Was it you? 0 17 January 2012 09:47 PM
Opinions needed on changing my uk hatch to a jdm hatch rob84 ScoobyNet General 21 21 September 2011 10:45 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:43 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: