Evo 8 mr fq300 - Page 6 - ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Evo 8 mr fq300

Reply

 
 
 
Old 09 December 2017, 10:44 AM
  #151  
Rob Day
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (78)
 
Rob Day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North West
Posts: 9,367
Default

Looks good.

You seem quite relaxed about the ayc failing, think I’d be a little pissed!

I recognise that hotel, think I’ve been around that area before, Perth?
Rob Day is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09 December 2017, 11:00 AM
  #152  
Wull
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
Wull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Killin
Posts: 927
Default

Originally Posted by Rob Day View Post
Looks good.

You seem quite relaxed about the ayc failing, think Iíd be a little pissed!

I recognise that hotel, think Iíve been around that area before, Perth?
Killin.

After the original ayc pump failing due to pressure issues I purchased a refurbished one which was quite costly. After only 1 week I noticed it was leaking and it looks as if itís from the pump body itself and not the connections. Itís difficult to tell exactly where from because of the pump cover.

Itís a very slow leak and the pump itself works perfectly well. The pump has a 12 month warranty and the seller is fully aware of the leak from day 1. Itís just a case of finding the time to remove it and send it down to him.

It has stressed me out at times though, plus the worrying of whether he tries to suggest it was due to the fitting of the pump that has caused it.
Wull is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 07:54 AM
  #153  
Wull
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
Wull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Killin
Posts: 927
Default

For the first time since owning the Evo the ******* has let me down. It wonít start.

Iím 100% sure itís the starter and because of where itís parked I canít bump start, Iím fairly certain itís in the huff because of bringing the S1K home, jealous little bitch.

I charged the battery up just to rule that out but I was already sure it was the starter. It sounds as if itís not properly engaging and spinning freely, it doesnít sound how it should usually sound.

Iíll inspect it today and remove for bench testing etc, then order a replacement.
Wull is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 08:03 AM
  #154  
joz8968
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (13)
 
joz8968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indochina......hiding inside a bowl of rice
Posts: 23,695
Default

I assume you're defo getting power to the starter solenoid? Can you hear it click when you turn the key?

If so...

With the engine off, put it into 2nd gear. Release the handbrake. Hold onto the driver-side A-pillar (and B-pillar if it helps), and rock the car back and forth. You'll need to start slowly to get the momentum going, but then it's easy to do.

If it was just sticking ring gear, then the rocking should have freed it up. It should start.
joz8968 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 09:40 PM
  #155  
Rob Day
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (78)
 
Rob Day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North West
Posts: 9,367
Default

Originally Posted by Wull View Post
Killin.

After the original ayc pump failing due to pressure issues I purchased a refurbished one which was quite costly. After only 1 week I noticed it was leaking and it looks as if itís from the pump body itself and not the connections. Itís difficult to tell exactly where from because of the pump cover.

Itís a very slow leak and the pump itself works perfectly well. The pump has a 12 month warranty and the seller is fully aware of the leak from day 1. Itís just a case of finding the time to remove it and send it down to him.

It has stressed me out at times though, plus the worrying of whether he tries to suggest it was due to the fitting of the pump that has caused it.
Originally Posted by joz8968 View Post
I assume you're defo getting power to the starter solenoid? Can you hear it click when you turn the key?

If so...

With the engine off, put it into 2nd gear. Release the handbrake. Hold onto the driver-side A-pillar (and B-pillar if it helps), and rock the car back and forth. You'll need to start slowly to get the momentum going, but then it's easy to do.

If it was just sticking ring gear, then the rocking should have freed it up. It should start.
Rob Day is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 11:02 PM
  #156  
Wull
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
Wull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Killin
Posts: 927
Default

Brakes are slightly sticking so canít rock it.

Iíve removed the starter and tested it and itís fine, Iím going to double check the wiring and test for power, I would have already done that but the multimeter battery has died.

I checked the teeth on the flywheel and they look good. I also checked the timing belt etc and that all looks good.

Then Iím going to stick it back on just in case itís freed off and working now.

If it still doesnít work Iíll get the 4x4 and move the car, then once I know for sure itís the starter Iíll replace.
Wull is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 11:53 AM
  #157  
Alyn T
Scooby Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Perth, Scotland
Posts: 11
Default

I'll have to start hanging about in Killin to catch a glimpse of this! Don't worry I appreciate all motors lol.

Did I see your track car is up for sale?
Alyn T is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 05:21 PM
  #158  
Wull
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
Wull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Killin
Posts: 927
Default

Originally Posted by Alyn T View Post
I'll have to start hanging about in Killin to catch a glimpse of this! Don't worry I appreciate all motors lol.

Did I see your track car is up for sale?


It is, along with the trailer.

I’ve ordered the starter for the Evo, collecting tomorrow.
Wull is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 09:17 PM
  #159  
madwrx
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: chelmsford
Posts: 257
Default

its quite interesting watching your videos actually ,the evo has much less lag between gearchanges than my similar powered newage- certainly helps not having 10 feet of exhaust header to travel round first.
madwrx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 07:39 AM
  #160  
Wull
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
Wull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Killin
Posts: 927
Default

Originally Posted by madwrx View Post
its quite interesting watching your videos actually ,the evo has much less lag between gearchanges than my similar powered newage- certainly helps not having 10 feet of exhaust header to travel round first.


The ND5.5 turbo kit is very good, ideal for power without losing too much on pick up.

I went all the way to Stirling yesterday and they had ordered in the wrong starter, 75 mile round trip for nothing, and the correct one is even more expensive, double kick to the baws

Back again today to collect the correct one.
Wull is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 08:10 PM
  #161  
stevebt
600bhp'ish
iTrader: (8)
 
stevebt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 16,572
Default

How much is the starter?
stevebt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 08:54 PM
  #162  
Wull
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
Wull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Killin
Posts: 927
Default

Originally Posted by stevebt View Post
How much is the starter?

£156 with a surcharge for the old unit.

Thatís the car back up and running
Wull is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 07:12 PM
  #163  
stevebt
600bhp'ish
iTrader: (8)
 
stevebt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 16,572
Default

A lot of money for a recon unit then you have fitting
stevebt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 08:26 PM
  #164  
Wull
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
Wull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Killin
Posts: 927
Default

Originally Posted by stevebt View Post
A lot of money for a recon unit then you have fitting


Just did it myself so just the cost of the unit itself
Wull is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 

Forum Jump

Thread Tools
Search this Thread