Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

gold brembo threaded bleed nipple

Old 05 January 2017, 05:56 PM
dbay
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gold brembo threaded bleed nipple

after buying a full set of brembos to fit on the my classic impreza it now came down to fitting them. the fronts i have refurbed with new seals, bleed nipples and a lick of paint as well as new hoses. the rears will have to wait for the time being as this little project has got a little expensive with new wheels, discs, pads etc

anyway, its came down to fitting the rears which i noticed the bracket bolt holes had been helicoiled. no problem i thought, that will save me a job in the future. so i cracked off the bleed nipples and found one to be seized solid. i tried heating it, lubeing it, swearing at it and even spitting at it but it wasn't coming out without stripping the threads. not the end of the world i thought, i will just helicoil it

so i found out what size the bleed nipple was (M10 x 1.0 ) ordered the kit and awaited its delivery. today it arrived so i set about repairing the threads. after a few goes i managed to get the helicoil seated in all of the new cut threads as it seemed to jump a few nearer the bottom due to the turning pressure whilst installing.

i then installed the bleed nipple and found it wouldn't seal on the taper at the bottom of the nipple and would only leak if i were to install it on the car. the reason it would never seal is because once you have drilled out the gnarled up hole the bleed nipple will never be centralised as the drill bit will only centralise on what material is left, and no i didn't touch the taper in the caliper as that would be game over. so this left me with 3 options, buy another set of used calipers which will possibly have the same problem. cry like a girl and throw them in the bin and put the car back to solid 260mm solid discs or modify it

so i have come up with this, m10 x 1 banjo bolt with bleed nipple inside (as found on motorbikes). a banjo with the tail cut off and welded up and two copper washers. it certainly wont get any engineering awards but it will get you out of the crap if your nipples thread like mine did.

Name:  20170105_163846_zpsirhniucq.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  320.1 KB

Name:  20170105_163859_zpsiyqurwkh.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  269.9 KB
Old 05 January 2017, 06:37 PM
dbay
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These would be another option, think I'll order a set and replace when I refurb the rears.

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product...ducts_id=22863
Old 05 January 2017, 09:50 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats engineering.
Old 13 January 2017, 01:52 PM
Bazil_SW
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Like it! That's my kind of solution, good work!

I had the usual caliper bolts thread stripping issue and needed to helicoil the fronts but I've not needed to take the rears off for ages as the discs have lasted well.

Search this Thread