Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Fitting refurbished 4-pot calipers

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2015, 08:16 PM
IanG1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting refurbished 4-pot calipers

Tomorrow I will be fitting my newly refurbished brake calipers from Scoobyworx, along with new discs, pads and Hel brake lines. Just a few quick questions - (1) Should I remove the powder coat at the point where the brake hose attaches the caliper? I'm worried that the copper washer won't provide a good seal against the paint... (2) I've fitted the black shims behind the pads, I assume these are the "anti squeal" shims? or are they unnecessary? Thanks in advance, Ian
Old 06 October 2015, 02:29 PM
Remko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IanG1983
Tomorrow I will be fitting my newly refurbished brake calipers from Scoobyworx, along with new discs, pads and Hel brake lines. Just a few quick questions - (1) Should I remove the powder coat at the point where the brake hose attaches the caliper? I'm worried that the copper washer won't provide a good seal against the paint... (2) I've fitted the black shims behind the pads, I assume these are the "anti squeal" shims? or are they unnecessary? Thanks in advance, Ian
Yes - generally speaking all hose connections points should be without coating. Fairly sure brake fluid would dissolve the coating and compromising the connection as brake fluid is very nasty stuff.
And yes, the black shims are anti-squeel. I think - don't quote me on this - copper paste petween piston and pads do a similar job.
Old 06 October 2015, 03:08 PM
IanG1983
Scooby Regular

Used the "anti-squeal" shims, but they don't seem to stop the squeal!! not too bothered though as the brakes are working fine. I did clamp the new lines to the powdercoat, after 100 miles the seal is holding and not weeping. I keep checking daily, if there are any signs of leakage i'll scrape off the powdercoat and refit the banjo connection to metal