Big brake conversion idea

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2015, 02:21 PM
turbotog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big brake conversion idea

hi guys!
I wanted some input on temporarily increasing my braking power until I have enough money to get a k sport 8 pot system..
currently I'm running the 4 pot subaru calipers, tegiwa brake stopper, HEL brake lines and uprated pads..
I was looking at using the 326mm 5x100 new age discs for some larger brakes.. I have access to a full engineering workshop and was thinking of making some mounts for the calipers and possibly some 5mm shims to allow for the wider disc etc. One the the other guys there have just done something similar on their sierra RS cosworth..
anyway, any input into the following would be good, and if it works I could even possibly supply some as a cheap big brake conversion for others
cheers for your help!
Old 23 September 2015, 02:24 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turbotog
hi guys!
I wanted some input on temporarily increasing my braking power until I have enough money to get a k sport 8 pot system..
currently I'm running the 4 pot subaru calipers, tegiwa brake stopper, HEL brake lines and uprated pads..
I was looking at using the 326mm 5x100 new age discs for some larger brakes.. I have access to a full engineering workshop and was thinking of making some mounts for the calipers and possibly some 5mm shims to allow for the wider disc etc. One the the other guys there have just done something similar on their sierra RS cosworth..
anyway, any input into the following would be good, and if it works I could even possibly supply some as a cheap big brake conversion for others
cheers for your help!
Will work a treat, I made a big brake conversion for my RS turbo using 280mm Nissan s200 discs and spacers to mount the calipers further out, same calipers and pads, bigger discs, made a massive difference.
Your right about the disc width though, that's going to be a problem
Old 23 September 2015, 02:50 PM
turbotog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boosted
Will work a treat, I made a big brake conversion for my RS turbo using 280mm Nissan s200 discs and spacers to mount the calipers further out, same calipers and pads, bigger discs, made a massive difference.
Your right about the disc width though, that's going to be a problem
yeah I think it's a more common brake conversion for the rs turbos as they have sliding calipers and not a lot of room for wider/uprated calipers..
from what I've read I think the 295mm calipers I have at the moment are 25mm wide, and the 326mm are 30mm, I'm thinking the easiest thing to do would be split the calipers and make a custom 5mm shim/spacer.. and use some longer bolts..
I'm running on 17 inch rota grids so assume I have enough space to fit the larger discs on too
Old 23 September 2015, 02:55 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

yeah I think it's a more common brake conversion for the rs turbos as they have sliding calipers and not a lot of room for wider/uprated calipers..
from what I've read I think the 295mm calipers I have at the moment are 25mm wide, and the 326mm are 30mm, I'm thinking the easiest thing to do would be split the calipers and make a custom 5mm shim/spacer.. and use some longer bolts..
I'm running on 17 inch rota grids so assume I have enough space to fit the larger discs on too
The brembo pads have very little friction material on them when new. Possibly look into taking 2.5 mm off each brake pad instead of spacing out the caliper. (Might even be an option where the pad has less friction material on it)
Have you looked at Evo brembo's?
Old 23 September 2015, 07:26 PM
Benji554
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I would save a bit longer and get an AP/ Brembo/ Alcon upgrade rather than KSports. I am speaking from experience as I have switched from K Sports 8 pots to AP 6 pots.
Old 23 September 2015, 07:30 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Just get some better pads in there, the only problem is at standard calipers don't take a lot of heat so a waste of time IMO.
Old 23 September 2015, 10:33 PM
turbotog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boosted
The brembo pads have very little friction material on them when new. Possibly look into taking 2.5 mm off each brake pad instead of spacing out the caliper. (Might even be an option where the pad has less friction material on it)
Have you looked at Evo brembo's?
I would be using the same fitment pads as used as standard on the subaru 4 pot calipers.. by using the 5mm shim, I would be making up for the extra 5mm wider brake disc.. so I shouldn't have to mess around with pads..
This option would only cost me £100..
Old 23 September 2015, 10:37 PM
turbotog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Benji554
Personally I would save a bit longer and get an AP/ Brembo/ Alcon upgrade rather than KSports. I am speaking from experience as I have switched from K Sports 8 pots to AP 6 pots.
I probably wouldn't bother with the alcons or brembos personally, but I would like some APs, but they cost around 1200!
what problems did you find with the k sports? A mate of mine run some on track, said he didn't get any brake fade and he was out braking porsche's(although he didn't say what model I'd expect at least 911, who tracks a boxster ?! )
Old 23 September 2015, 10:43 PM
turbotog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Just get some better pads in there, the only problem is at standard calipers don't take a lot of heat so a waste of time IMO.
I've already got uprated pads (red stuff I think?) and I need new discs now so was thinking of just paying extra on the larger disks and make the spacers etc for free..
I've read they don't dissapate heat very well being cast steel? but the shims should allow a larger area to radiate heat from and I've already decided to run some ducts to the brakes.. so although not great I'm sure it should still offer an upgrade over standard.. Also I would expect the increase in braking power would mean I wouldn't have to push as hard to get the same amount of braking force, thus allowing my brakes to cooler?
Old 23 September 2015, 10:48 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

ebc red are NOT uprated pads, In fact crap tbh just like the rest of ebc crap.
Old 23 September 2015, 11:49 PM
Benji554
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I probably wouldn't bother with the alcons or brembos personally, but I would like some APs, but they cost around 1200!
what problems did you find with the k sports? A mate of mine run some on track, said he didn't get any brake fade and he was out braking porsche's(although he didn't say what model I'd expect at least 911, who tracks a boxster ?! )
The braking performance was ok with K sports but they require regular cleaning. If this is your every day car and you use it in all weathers then forget K sports. The seals are poor in comparison to AP's and I had to disassemble them every couple of months to stop them binding. AP's are fit and forget!
Old 24 September 2015, 08:07 PM
turbotog
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Benji554
The braking performance was ok with K sports but they require regular cleaning. If this is your every day car and you use it in all weathers then forget K sports. The seals are poor in comparison to AP's and I had to disassemble them every couple of months to stop them binding. AP's are fit and forget!
glad to hear it wasn't necessarily the braking performance!
my scooby is for weekends and occasional track days so might not have the same problems.. although that does sound like a ball ache so will definately bear it in mind!
cheers for your advice