Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

What psi for track?

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2015, 08:06 PM
gregwill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What psi for track?

Hi all just got some nankang ns2r tyres for the scoob they are 235/45/17.

So I'm wondering what sort of psi to set them at for a track day?? they are also the 120 compound.

Cheers greg
Old 16 September 2015, 10:50 PM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

This is how I find the right pressure with new tyres,
With the tyres cold I would make sure you put them to oem pressures.
Take it for a drive see how it feels.

Then starting at front add 2 psi at time and see how it affects the car, if it's a improvement add another two psi,
If then it starts to feel worse reduce it by 1 psi until you get the front feeling good,

Then repeat with the process with the rear,

You should then have your preferred front and rear tyre pressures for them particular tyres,

On a track day it a case of maintaining them pressures,
Obviously after a few laps the air in the tyre gets hot and expands causing your tyre to over inflate, a lot of people think there tyres go off after a few laps and start understeering. Over inflation due to heat is usually the reason,
Best thing to do is after the tyres have got up to temperature is to pull in and adjust them back to where they should be,
Depending on the track layout it's not uncommon to see higher pressures on one side to another due to one tyre working harder than another.

Just remember if you've had to let pressure out the tyres due to air expanding with heat when the tyres cool down they will now be under inflated, so your have to re inflate them usually the morning after.

Having your tyres filled with nitrogen can help reduce the affect of pressure change from heat as it's more stable then air.

Mines running 17'' yoko Ad08r I find they work best at 34 front 31 rear
That's only 1 psi higher in the front and 2psi higer in the rear.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by InTurbo; 16 September 2015 at 10:52 PM.
Old 16 September 2015, 10:56 PM
gregwill
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by InTurbo
This is how I find the right pressure with new tyres,
With the tyres cold I would make sure you put them to oem pressures.
Take it for a drive see how it feels.

Then starting at front add 2 psi at time and see how it affects the car, if it's a improvement add another two psi,
If then it starts to feel worse reduce it by 1 psi until you get the front feeling good,

Then repeat with the process with the rear,

You should then have your preferred front and rear tyre pressures for them particular tyres,

On a track day it a case of maintaining them pressures,
Obviously after a few laps the air in the tyre gets hot and expands causing your tyre to over inflate, a lot of people think there tyres go off after a few laps and start understeering. Over inflation due to heat is usually the reason,
Best thing to do is after the tyres have got up to temperature is to pull in and adjust them back to where they should be,
Depending on the track layout it's not uncommon to see higher pressures on one side to another due to one tyre working harder than another.

Just remember if you've had to let pressure out the tyres due to air expanding with heat when the tyres cool down they will now be under inflated, so your have to re inflate them usually the morning after.

Having your tyres filled with nitrogen can help reduce the affect of pressure change from heat as it's more stable then air.

Mines running 17'' yoko Ad08r I find they work best at 34 front 31 rear
That's only 1 psi higher in the front and 2psi higer in the rear.

Hope this helps.

Thanks mate some great info for me there!

I have used these tyres in my last track day and off the top of my head they were 35 at the front and 32 on the rear but that was from cold (normal road driving) without checking them through the day I found them really good but towards the afternoon could feel the back end starting to come out.

Will do as you have said though and will take yourtips on board cheers
Old 16 September 2015, 11:02 PM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gregwill
Thanks mate some great info for me there!

I have used these tyres in my last track day and off the top of my head they were 35 at the front and 32 on the rear but that was from cold (normal road driving) without checking them through the day I found them really good but towards the afternoon could feel the back end starting to come out.

Will do as you have said though and will take yourtips on board cheers
If you not got one already a digital 12v tyre inflator is good piece of kit to have with you. Easily make adjustments when you pit in.