Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Rear caliper locks solid

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2015, 11:02 AM
rpmayne
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear caliper locks solid

Hi, I use the MY99 2000 Turbo wagon every other weekend so does sit a bit, but recently it locks the rear offside wheel solid.

I basically have to do a standing start, bang and the wheel is free again. Getting worse as the last time I did it the wheel was dragged locked for about a meter before it finally let go.

I thought it may be related to the handbrake so last time I left it in gear with the handbrake off, but still did the same.

I can then drive it around for the weekend and seems ok, although the brakes don't feel as good as I would expect 4-pot 'sti' brakes to be. Not much different to the last classic turbo I had though, are they just not up to much?

Anyone had similar issues? Gut feeling is knackard caliper and fluid change, but reading around a failing master cylinder has been mentioned, so trying to avoid throwing bits at it I don't need.

On another note, anyone alarmed at how quick these rust.. Bought it about 9 months ago, no rust. Now bubbles both rear arches. 'Popped' one yesterday full of water, now covered in vaseline and saving for repairs... Paint just came clean off the bare metal, thought there would have been some primer holding it on?

Cheers.
Old 30 July 2015, 12:41 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll probably find the handbrake shoes have delaminated and the friction material is wedged. Happened to mine.