Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Odd wheel sound (squeaking?)

Old 18 December 2014, 09:50 PM
qazwsx16
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd wheel sound (squeaking?)

I have a 30 minute drive to work every morning and normally it's fine, but today near the end my wheel (I'm assuming) starting making a very odd squeaking sound and I wasn't sure exactly what to do! I was going to take it in but the soonest opening they have is Saturday, but I still need to drive back home and back again tomorrow (~90 miles) so I wasn't sure if it was still safe to drive on..

I'm driving a Subaru Impreza 2012 (currently at 34,000 miles). No issues before (Except getting rear ended). Just in case this helps, the weather here is about 40 degrees F.

I recorded the sound it made on my phone (http://vocaroo.com/i/s1NJdD18VcEn). The sound changes slightly around a minute in.

I would love any feedback! I just want to be sure I can still drive it for the next day...
Old 19 December 2014, 12:00 AM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

If the squeaking increases the faster you travel it could be brake related i.e. the brake wear indicator coming into contact with the brake disc. It could also be a wheel bearing although this is unlikely (but not impossible) on a car with the mileage you have stated. If the squeaking is not speed related it could be a suspension component.
Sorry, couldn't hear your recording.

Last edited by Mouser; 19 December 2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 19 December 2014, 01:55 AM
qazwsx16
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Mouser
If the squeaking increases the faster you travel it could be brake related i.e. the brake wear indicator coming into contact with the brake disc. It could also be a wheel bearing although this is unlikely (but not impossible) on a car with the mileage you have stated. If the squeaking is not speed related it could be a suspension component.
Sorry, couldn't hear your recording.
Thank you! I'll keep you updated!
Old 19 December 2014, 10:05 AM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by qazwsx16
Thank you! I'll keep you updated!
If the problem does turn out to be a wheel bearing the repair should be covered under warranty. ATB!