Notices

2004-2007 Impreza Recall - Airbag

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2015, 05:34 PM
effkay
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004-2007 Impreza Recall - Airbag

Just had this bought to my attention on Pistonheads. Guessing it will affect alot of us?

As I'm based in Cardiff - who do you recommend I get the work done at, Keith Price or Nathaniel?

http://subaru.co.uk/news/subaru-reca...els-2004-2007/

"As part of its quality processes Fuji Heavy Industries, parent company to Subaru Automobile has issued an official recall campaign relating to possible front passenger air bag SPI inflator failure. The recall notice applies only to Impreza models (including WRX and STI) built between 2004 and 2007. The recall does not affect any other models in the Subaru range.

The vehicles affected are equipped with front passenger air bag SPI inflators manufactured by air-bag maker Takata. The recall has received widespread media coverage as Takata supplies a number of Japanese vehicle manufacturers. It has been found that the inflators in the passenger airbag may experience an alteration over time, potentially leading to over-aggressive combustion in the event of an airbag deployment, leading to risk of injury.

Subaru UK is advising owners of all Impreza models built between 2004 and 2007 to contact their local dealer at their earliest convenience to have the front passenger airbag inflator replaced free of charge. Please note, this applies to passenger side airbags only and we therefore advise you avoid seating occupants in the front passenger seat until the work has been carried out. For details of your nearest dealer, please see the Dealer Locator on www.subaru.co.uk."
Old 05 June 2015, 09:21 PM
mark.125
Scooby Regular

Any idear if it matters if your not the original owner
Old 05 June 2015, 10:03 PM
mark.125
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mark.125
Any idear if it matters if your not the original owner
All good the scoobys 03 lol the other cars 04 lol knew 1 was
Old 06 June 2015, 11:38 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

JDM cars do not appear on the lists, happy days.
My choice would be Keith Price.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 06 June 2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06 June 2015, 12:11 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's because it's a Subaru UK article
Old 06 June 2015, 01:43 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

HG and Pistons next.........not!
Old 02 July 2015, 01:58 PM
effkay
Scooby Regular

This slipped my mind. Anyone had this done yet? Suppose we just wait for letter from VOSA?
Old 02 July 2015, 02:42 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja
That's because it's a Subaru UK article
About parts made in Japan for a Japanese car.
Old 02 July 2015, 07:37 PM
andyleonard55
Scooby Regular

As with many Subaru,s they seem to have had many owners, will this make any difference,also it was mentioned above that somebody will wait for the letter from VOSA, is this normal for a recall or should we just ring a suitable dealer.
Old 02 July 2015, 09:15 PM
S204Darren
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if the UK dealers will repair the air bags on JDM models.
Old 06 July 2015, 10:20 AM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

I have spoken to Jenny at Keth Price (Abergavenny)

They know about the recall and they have been told by Subaru in Japan that they are aware of the problem but are in negotiations with the company who supplied the airbag system on a way forward (basicaly who is going to pay )

My car a 2007 STI is on the list of defected ones and I will be contact by letter by Subaru UK to arrange the works

In the meantime to not carry any passengers in the front seat.!
Old 06 July 2015, 04:13 PM
S204Darren
Scooby Regular

Default Airbags

Originally Posted by S3LDM
I have spoken to Jenny at Keth Price (Abergavenny)

They know about the recall and they have been told by Subaru in Japan that they are aware of the problem but are in negotiations with the company who supplied the airbag system on a way forward (basicaly who is going to pay )

My car a 2007 STI is on the list of defected ones and I will be contact by letter by Subaru UK to arrange the works

In the meantime to not carry any passengers in the front seat.!
Did they mention JDM models?
Old 07 July 2015, 04:50 PM
STI Glenn
Scooby Regular

I doubt they will do jdm cars
Old 09 July 2015, 02:33 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

No mention of JDM models I'am afraid

Basicaly Subaru UK dont have any records that JDM are in the UK
Old 09 July 2015, 08:48 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S3LDM
No mention of JDM models I'am afraid

Basicaly Subaru UK dont have any records that JDM are in the UK
All you should need to do is supply the UK dealer with the VIN and they will Email to IM who will then check with Japan. normally takes an extra day rather than an instant answer.

Recalls are valid no matter what country the car comes from.

We used to get loads of import Mitsubishi's and Isuzu(Who IM are the uk supplier) where I used to work and all recalls had to be done no matter the originating country.

If the vehicle look up said a recall was outstanding then it was done and claimed for. We used to get 15-17 year old vehicles all the time with active recalls, In fact some of the parts were worth ten times the vehicle cost!!!

Last edited by DannyBoy007; 09 July 2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10 July 2015, 08:54 AM
boggissimo
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I asked my local dealer about this (Maidstone), they said I should call Subaru UK customer services, who said I should call my dealer!

So I sent an email to the customer services address, this is the reply I got (from Simon Josephs, General Manager Customer Care):

Subaru have announced that there are approximately 10,500 UK vehicles that will require the passenger airbag changed as part of the world wide recall. Subaru have confirmed that this recall will only apply to Impreza, WRX and STi models manufactured between 2004 & 2007 and Subaru have confirmed that your vehicle will be included in the recall. As this recall is primarily effecting high moisture or humidity countries, supply of the replacement airbags are being directed to those countries first. We are working hard with Fujitsu Heavy Industries (Subaru parent company) to acquire airbags for the UK market as quickly as possible.

As and when a recall is applied to any of our vehicles, we supply VOSA with the chassis numbers and they marry them up to the V5 Registration Document and send the letters to keepers on our behalf. This is because when vehicles are sold as used vehicles we are not always informed of the new keepers details. Once the recall is announced on your vehicle then providing your owners details are correct on the V5 you will receive notification.

Upon investigation by Takata, leaks were found in the SPI inflators of some passenger airbags. Such a leak can increase the potential for moisture to reach the main propellant wafers.

In the case of a crash necessitating the deployment of the passenger airbag, the subject propellant wafers could cause the inflator to rupture with metal fragments potentially striking and injuring vehicle occupants.

I do have to point out that this has only happened a few times around the world and never in the UK or in a Subaru, however Takata have for obvious reasons recalled the airbags that could potentially cause injury.

As this recall affects your vehicle, can I ask that until further notice you do not carry passengers in the front passenger seat of your car.

I understand this could be of significant inconvenience to you however until such time as we know exactly when the parts will be available to us, it is better to avoid any possible injury that could occur.

Unfortunately the recall has affected a number of vehicle manufacturers worldwide and is currently involving an estimated 50.2 million vehicles. We are entirely in the hands of Takata and their ability to produce enough airbags to satisfy global demand.

Please speak to your dealer who should have taken your details so that they can call you when the parts are in stock.

Whilst checking the recall information, I have seen that there is also a recall for the transverse links on your car to be checked. This needs to be carried out as quickly as you can. If you book your vehicle into the dealer, asking for SU 31 Transverse Link check they will carry out the recall for you.

Unfortunately inconvenience, expenses or commercial losses, loan cars and hire cars are not covered by the manufacturer, however the costs of the recalls will of course be carried out
Old 04 August 2015, 09:19 AM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boggissimo
As this recall is primarily effecting high moisture or humidity countries, supply of the replacement airbags are being directed to those countries first. We are working hard with Fujitsu Heavy Industries (Subaru parent company) to acquire airbags for the UK market as quickly as possible.
Wonder if the extra moisture in the States comes from the eye watering legal costs associated with their lawsuits..... wonder if it could possibly be linked
Old 06 October 2015, 07:18 AM
Smithy07
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey guys if u would like me to check if your car is affected with this recall please leave your details below and I shall check for you.

Thanks Lee at nathaniel car sales.
Old 06 October 2015, 08:18 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Smithy07
Hey guys if u would like me to check if your car is affected with this recall please leave your details below and I shall check for you.

Thanks Lee at nathaniel car sales.
Hi what details would you like for eg: car reg or vin? Thx
Old 06 October 2015, 06:53 PM
greg320
Scooby Regular

Just contact your local dealer, they'll tell you if your car needs doing
Old 07 October 2015, 06:51 PM
Alan999
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the heads up on the passengers air bag phoned local Subaru dealer today booked in for Monday
Old 18 October 2015, 03:01 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan999
Cheers for the heads up on the passengers air bag phoned local Subaru dealer today booked in for Monday
Hi mate,
Which dealer has booked you in? I was recently told Subaru UK are still waiting on supply of new air bags.
Old 19 October 2015, 11:43 AM
boggissimo
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was booked in with FG Barnes (Maidstone, Kent) for last week, but they rang up a couple of days before and said they didn't have the parts, or any idea when they'd get them, so cancelled it!
Old 19 October 2015, 01:16 PM
Alan999
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by evil.soup
Hi mate,
Which dealer has booked you in? I was recently told Subaru UK are still waiting on supply of new air bags.
Hi there got a phone call the next day telling me that they were waiting for the parts to come in. Told me to phone back in early November ,my local dealer is Ian Greives Falkirk sorry for taken so long to get back to you
Old 23 October 2015, 01:34 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Ah no problem mate, I have a feeling we are going to be waiting months for this to be sorted out.

Its all well and good telling us not to carry passengers for a few days or weeks but months is taking the **** to be honest
Old 24 November 2015, 12:46 PM
Alan999
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by evil.soup
Ah no problem mate, I have a feeling we are going to be waiting months for this to be sorted out.

Its all well and good telling us not to carry passengers for a few days or weeks but months is taking the **** to be honest
Hi there another update for you car was in at Iain Greves (Falkirk) today air bag recall done they took about 2 hours to do happy days at last
Old 28 November 2015, 05:36 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Glad you got it sorted, it may pay off to start bugging the main dealers weekly about sorting it out.....
Old 22 December 2015, 11:19 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Well Nathaniel Cars called me and it went in last week to get done. I have never used them before but found them very good down there. They told me they are only getting 1 airbag in per month though!!
Old 23 December 2015, 05:54 PM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

So didn't know about this before buying a 2005 STi, now trying to get on the list but turns out the car came from Malta so having to get the car registered on the Subaru UK system before the dealer will book it in

Don't carry passengers for months till it gets sorted is taking the **** somewhat, been told it could take a very long time by my local dealer

As it was not showing on the system does anyone know if there were any other recalls out there for the 2005 STi's
Old 23 December 2015, 08:52 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by chrispy200+
So didn't know about this before buying a 2005 STi, now trying to get on the list but turns out the car came from Malta so having to get the car registered on the Subaru UK system before the dealer will book it in

Don't carry passengers for months till it gets sorted is taking the **** somewhat, been told it could take a very long time by my local dealer

As it was not showing on the system does anyone know if there were any other recalls out there for the 2005 STi's
My car was from Malta too, they had trouble finding it from the reg but found it from the chassis number. That said, the car was imported new and first registered in the UK so has been under Subaru UK since its firsf 1000 mile run in service.

Hope you get it sorted.

Quick Reply: 2004-2007 Impreza Recall - Airbag