STI Number 2, The New Car

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2014, 06:23 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slash920
nice that. love the wheels.
Yeah I like the wheels too, although they are in need of a refurb. I like the colour and don't show up the brake dust to much but I love gold wheel on a Blue Subaru as well so a bit undecided which way to go at present
Old 09 November 2014, 09:46 PM
Guppy88
Scooby Regular

Seen you in Aber on Friday night. Picking up a take away i guessed as down that end of town.

Caught my eye straight away
Old 10 November 2014, 07:26 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Guppy88
Seen you in Aber on Friday night. Picking up a take away i guessed as down that end of town.

Caught my eye straight away
Friday night is take away night fella
Old 08 December 2014, 09:46 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

When I bought the blob I knew there were a few jobs that needed doing one of which is the dreaded and annoying rear BC top mount knock, initially I thought it was just a matter of tightening up the nut on the top mount and a all would be sorted, how wrong I was. The car has the later BC coilover's fitted with the OE top mounts which supposed to have sorted out this issue. Below is the link to the thread to save a double post and how I've hopefully got around the issue.

https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...placement.html

Last edited by Peter Pan; 08 December 2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11 December 2014, 02:56 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well how have I missed this thread...!!

You managed to get a nice car there Jay, I have seen a couple of time and as its already been said it a nice car with the right mods, which you can decide to keep or get rid of, which is your prerogative

If you’re not too fussed on the wheels, fancy swap for a set of Anthracite PFFF7’s
Old 11 December 2014, 03:09 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

If they are off your car Lee they wouldn't fit due to the different PCD sizes.
Old 11 December 2014, 03:11 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just realised this Ty... Blobs are 100 PCD are they not ?
Old 11 December 2014, 03:16 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S3LDM
I just realised this Ty... Blobs are 100 PCD are they not ?
Yes the earlier non widetrack were 5x100 PCD size.
Old 11 December 2014, 06:22 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
If they are off your car Lee they wouldn't fit due to the different PCD sizes.
Here he is Mr wheel fetish himself, if he says it Leeroy you can be sure he's right, credit where its due.
Old 11 December 2014, 09:30 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S3LDM
Well how have I missed this thread...!!

You managed to get a nice car there Jay, I have seen a couple of time and as its already been said it a nice car with the right mods, which you can decide to keep or get rid of, which is your prerogative

If you’re not too fussed on the wheels, fancy swap for a set of Anthracite PFFF7’s
Thanks Lee, I've fancied a newage for quite sometime and when I got the call about it and after a viewing along with going through the extensive history present I couldn't let her slip away. However after owning her for a couple of months there are quite a few jobs that need attending to so I'm working through them as soon as I can.
As for the wheels they'll be having a refurb at some point in the near future but not sure to go for the same colour or Gold as yet???
Old 11 December 2014, 09:36 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Sheep Worrier
Here he is Mr wheel fetish himself, if he says it Leeroy you can be sure he's right, credit where its due.
Thanks Rob, I've had just a few sets of wheels in my time.
Old 11 December 2014, 10:28 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

When I bought the car I know it was mapped by the late Simon Roe at Surrey Rolling Road. It has had a set of stainless steel headers fitted at some point, a decat down pipe and an after market exhaust system but I've no history to prove if the car has been mapped after these headers were fitted. I thought it was a wise move to book the car in at Indigo GT and get it remapped with Anthony in early January as they're only 15 minutes away from home.
I'm also going back to an OE airbox set up which I feel is the best way forward after finding some minor damage to the HKS induction kit which I've repaired for now. Many thanks to Ty for an OE air filter ready to fit when I get hold of a standard air box set up.
Old 01 March 2015, 08:03 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

I've been a bit quiet on the thread so time for an update on what's been going on with the car since my last post.

The HKS induction kit that was fitted was in a pretty poor state so that was thrown away in favour of a standard airbox set up sourced from Matty MB.

As I said the car went up to Indigo GT for a remap and a few checks, after a clean bill of health it was found as I expected it was in need of a new map after a few parts were added by a previous owner which made the car run very rich, it's now running 345bhp with a torque figure of 324 ft lbs on Ecutec software.

I feel the car is sitting a little low for my liking and finding it can be a bit impractical as the splitter runs probably not more than 3" off the road service so multi story car parks are a no go.
I've found that it's been impossible to higher the car up due to the McPherson mounts being seized, this is down to them not being greased at the time of fitting so I ordered up some new locking collars and spring pans from Apex and set about putting this right starting with the rears.

The two legs were soaked in release oil for a few days before hand to try and give me a fighting chance of removing them

They were then clamped in a vice with some thick rubber to protect the threads

I then used a 3ft tyre lever to remove the mounts, the first came off without to much issue but the second wouldn't budge even with an extra day in the oil so I had no other option to apply some heat to remove it and then it was reluctant to spin off as you can see by the state of threads, 3 years of British weather certainly takes it's toll.

After this the treads were toughly cleaned and a generous coating of copper slip applied.

They were then put back together and refitted them to the car, I thought I'd treat it to a brand new pair of handbrake shoes and a clean up and repaint of the hubs, brake disc backing plates and the rear brake discs.

I've now got the car sitting pretty much how I want it at the rear so a few bolts to tighten and some fine adjustment on the handbrake and then onto the front suspension legs tomorrow evening.

Last edited by Peter Pan; 02 March 2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01 March 2015, 09:21 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Good work Jay, it looks like before you bought the car it was never shown any love but I'm sure you'll rectify that.
Old 01 March 2015, 10:24 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Good work Jay, it looks like before you bought the car it was never shown any love but I'm sure you'll rectify that.
Thanks Ty . Yes and no to be honest, I can say I've never owned a car with so much history present dating back to the day the car was bought new from the dealership which was a factor in my purchase, however there have been a few areas that have been forgotten about unfortunately which I'm gradually working my way through.

Last edited by Peter Pan; 01 March 2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03 March 2015, 08:37 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

With the rear suspension legs all sorted it's time to move on to the fronts.
I've had a bit of luck with the left hand McPherson mount as that was the only one that wasn't seized so that was an easy one to sort out. The right had mount is in the same state as both rears so back into a tub of release oil for a few days, I've also put the left hand unit in to so it soaks in to all the grime that has built up over the past few years.

When I bought the Blob back in October I was aware there was an issue with the gearbox nipping gears between 4th and 5th, although I've been driving the car with this fault it does spoil the driving experience so it has to be sorted out.
Tonight I thought I'd bite the bullet and get the car up on some axle stands ready to drop the gearbox out hopefully before this weekend, after this I'll be taking it up to David at API for a rebuild.

Last edited by Peter Pan; 03 March 2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03 March 2015, 09:53 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Top work Jay, sort the tyres and it'll stick like glue. When are you going to APi?
Old 03 March 2015, 10:33 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Top work Jay, sort the tyres and it'll stick like glue. When are you going to APi?
Thanks Ian, I want try out a set of Nangkang NS2R's, I think Camskill were about the cheapest but they've sold out over the past week so I'm going to give them a bell tomorrow to see when they'll be back in stock.

I'm going to ring David tomorrow so it's going to be this coming Saturday or next, is there anything you need???
Old 03 March 2015, 11:32 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by Peter Pan
Thanks Ian, I want try out a set of Nangkang NS2R's, I think Camskill were about the cheapest but they've sold out over the past week so I'm going to give them a bell tomorrow to see when they'll be back in stock.

I'm going to ring David tomorrow so it's going to be this coming Saturday or next, is there anything you need???

A forged JDM WRX Blob engine for twenty pence LOL! Me and Jo are out and about, but will drop you and Alisha a text first.
Old 04 March 2015, 08:35 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
A forged JDM WRX Blob engine for twenty pence LOL! Me and Jo are out and about, but will drop you and Alisha a text first.
Okey dokey, should be back early afternoon so pop in for a brew if you can
Old 06 March 2015, 09:30 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

This evening I removed the gearbox from the car ready to take up to API in the morning so the battery was disconnected and off with the intercooler and bracket, starter motor, clutch slave cylinder, clutch fork lever, front drive shafts were pulled from the box but left in situ, full exhaust system was removed along with the prop shaft and gear linkage.
A trolley jack was then placed under the gearbox sub frame and then unbolted, the box was then supported and the jack repositioned then the bolts were then removed from the bell housing and the gearbox pulled from the engine block, lowered slightly and jigged around a little and lowered out of the car.

Just the one picture tonight unfortunately but one of the gearbox out on the floor just before I put it in the car ready to go first thing in the morning.

Last edited by Peter Pan; 06 March 2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06 March 2015, 09:40 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

This evening I removed the gearbox from the car ready to take up to API in the morning so the battery was disconnected and off with the intercooler and bracket, starter motor, clutch slave cylinder, clutch fork lever, front drive shafts were pulled from the box but left in situ, full exhaust system was removed along with the prop shaft and gear linkage.
A trolley jack was then placed under the gearbox sub frame and then unbolted, the box was then supported and the jack repositioned then the bolts were then removed from the bell housing and the gearbox pulled from the engine block, lowered slightly and jigged around a little and lowered out of the car.

Just the one picture tonight unfortunately but one of the gearbox out on the floor just before I put it in the car ready to go first thing in the morning.

It'll be like a new shiney pin when you get it back.
Old 06 March 2015, 10:05 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

I've ordered up some spray paint Ian for some underside parts that need a little TLC as well so at least it'll look half decent by the time I'm finished.
Old 06 March 2015, 10:46 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Nice job Jay.
Old 07 March 2015, 12:56 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Nice job Jay.
Thanks Ty, it's getting there. I'm going to take the clutch out for inspection tomorrow morning, I presume this would have been done at the time the engine was forged but have no record of it. There's few more jobs to do this coming week.
Old 07 March 2015, 04:53 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

Are you still taking this to the ring ?
Old 07 March 2015, 05:31 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matscooby
Are you still taking this to the ring ?
Yes Matt, barring any unforeseen issue's with API sorting out the gearbox the car will be ready in time for Llandow
Old 07 March 2015, 05:45 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

Yes Matt, barring any unforeseen issue's with API sorting out the gearbox the car will be ready in time for Llandow
Good man, you can always fall back to the white lady if need be.

Hopefully its only minor work on the box though
Old 07 March 2015, 07:49 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matscooby
Good man, you can always fall back to the white lady if need be.

Hopefully its only minor work on the box though
Yeah it should be but I've penned the classic in now behind so it would be tricky to swop them around. I've done it so I have no option but to get stuck into it and get it done.
Old 08 March 2015, 04:21 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

I took the chance this morning to do a few more jobs, as I mentioned yesterday I removed the clutch for inspection, the clutch feel and bite have shown no signs that a new kit would be needed but obviously foolish not check it while the gearbox has been removed.
Although I was happy to see an Excedy clutch kit had been fitted which gave me some hope this would be fine to go again it was soon apparent that a new kit will have to be fitted and this will be ordered up early this week.

The propshaft and guard were next to receive a bit of tlc. A quick rub over with a sanding pad and wipe over followed by a coat of satin Black as this was in pretty good condition.
The guard had a going over with a rotary wire brush then received a nice thick coat of primer and followed by a coat of gloss Black.
The rear subframe along with the rear suspension arms and drive shafts will be done in situ on the car.

I also started to strip down the front suspension legs but more about that this week.

Quick Reply: STI Number 2, The New Car