Notices

STI Number 2, The New Car

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2015, 07:47 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been a busy few evenings sorting out a few more jobs on the car and a couple more than I bargained for. As I treaded the rear underside parts to a well deserved tidy up I did the same to the front hubs and drive shafts, I also thought I paint the centre of the front brake discs as I did the rears but on removal I found rust on the inside of both discs which pointed to the inside brake pad seized in the calliper so these were removed, cleaned up and greased and the retaining shim also cleaned up and sprayed.

The bottom mount that I ordered from Apex arrived on Tuesday but a 114 pcd was sent instead of a 100 pcd so a quick call to Louise at Apex and this was sorted out without issue and it arrived on Thursday morning, I really can't fault them for their customer service . These were rebuilt yesterday morning and fitted to the car.

Again a generous coating of copper slip was applied to prevent the issue's I've found.

Thursday afternoon I travelled up to API to pick up my gearbox, it was nice to get to meet Tom who I spoke to on the phone over the past few weeks along with Rob who did all the work on the gearbox, both really nice guys and did a top job on the gearbox however I did expect better customer service if I'm honest. I did stress that I would need the gearbox back and fitted in time for a track day I was doing on the 11th of April which I was told it shouldn't be an issue if all parts were available? A few phone calls were promised by Simon and not returned, I realise API are a busy company but a phone call only takes a couple of minutes to let a customer know when something will be ready for collection which I never really got until I told them I'd be up Thursday afternoon.

Big thank you to Matt and Daz for popping up yesterday morning and giving me a hand to get the gearbox back into the car, a 6 speed is certainly a great deal heavier than the 5 when gravity is not on your side so I'm sure it wouldn't of gone back in without them .

That brings us onto this morning, and a couple jobs to finish off before the car was road tested, first of which was a diff oil change. As with all my Subaru's I've owned they're always run on Millers Oil, so 5L of CRX 75w90 was delivered from Opie Oils along with the usual free car smelly

The last job was to set the ride height, I've been a little worried here as the Nankang NS2R's are a wider profile than the ones that came off although being the same size but I've set the ride height higher than it was and so far this seems fine at the moment. As the track day is a week today I'll be taking the car to Mototec in Blackwood for a 4 wheel geo set up, I've used them for a few cars I've owned over the years and I've always been happy with their work.

Today I've done around 60 miles in the car bedding things in and so far everything seems pretty much spot on and nice to have a gearbox that's no longer nipping 4th and 5th gears. Again the weather wasn't the best for taking pictures so fingers crossed this will be better tomorrow so I can post a few up of how the car looks now.

Last edited by Peter Pan; 05 April 2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05 April 2015, 10:42 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Give me a bell when she goes over to mike dude, my office is literally just up the road so will pop down for a chat, or you can call up for a brew
Old 05 April 2015, 11:11 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Looking good Jay, where are you taking your car for the geometry alignment to be done?
Old 05 April 2015, 11:14 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Oops I've just realised you mentioned Mototec, if I have the settings can they set the car up to them?
Old 05 April 2015, 11:29 AM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
Give me a bell when she goes over to mike dude, my office is literally just up the road so will pop down for a chat, or you can call up for a brew
Hi Craig, yeah, will do. Not sure what afternoon it'll be yet but I'm hoping to book it in around 4pm as work over in Hengoed at the mo.

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
Oops I've just realised you mentioned Mototec, if I have the settings can they set the car up to them?
Hi Ty, yes they can, they set the my classic up with Prodrive settings and really happy with how that handles, I was charged £83 with them fitting the camber bolts. This time around I have my own settings provided by Jura so I really can't see this being an issue. I provide my own camber bolts but all depends on what settings you'll be going for??
Old 05 April 2015, 11:48 AM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

I managed to get a few pictures of the car this morning but as sods law the sun started to disappear behind the clouds again but this is how the car now looks. Personally I really like it, I've also grown to like the carbon Charge Speed sills which I realise are not to everyone's liking however it is something different. I really don't think they'd be suited to a narrower wheel size though so it would be something I'd remove if I were to change the wheels.

I can say over the last few weeks the car has caused some frustration but I feel all the hard work and hours spent has been well worth the effort. Obviously there is more work needed which I'll keep you all up to date with over the coming weeks.
Old 05 April 2015, 02:57 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

Looks really nice mate, done a good job there
Old 05 April 2015, 04:29 PM
STI Glenn
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car looks great
Old 05 April 2015, 07:56 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I like the colour Jay, I think it's brash but in a good way if that makes sense stands out without being in your face so to speak
Old 05 April 2015, 08:25 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the kind comments, I was torn with going with the colour the wheels were but I love a Gold wheel on a Subaru. Reynard struggled to get the exact match to what I wanted and this was the nearest to it but have to say I'm well pleased with end result.
Old 05 April 2015, 09:00 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Looks the mutts nuts Jay, good work mucca.

How did you find the Man-kangs on her maiden voyage?
Old 05 April 2015, 09:40 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Sheep Worrier
Looks the mutts nuts Jay, good work mucca.

How did you find the Man-kangs on her maiden voyage?
Thanks Rob, I haven't really pushed them hard as yet as I've done just short of 200 miles bedding in clutch and gearbox and the geo is all over the place after removing and refitting a few cam bolts however I did let the car run through a couple of down hill bends close to home off the accelerator and feedback seemed pretty positive so far with no hint of under steer.
Old 06 April 2015, 10:12 AM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good work Jay, the car is looking fantastic, after the much needed overhaul to address the minor issues
Old 06 April 2015, 08:22 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

I love the colour of those wheels Jay absolutely spot on.
The whole car is transformed IMO
Old 06 April 2015, 10:09 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S3LDM
Good work Jay, the car is looking fantastic, after the much needed overhaul to address the minor issues
Thanks Lee, as said it has been frustrating at times over the past few weeks but also a great deal of pleasure getting it to where it is now and putting a good few miles on it over this weekend. I caught a glimpse of a White hawk just outside Abergavenny on the HOV road yesterday, was it you???

Originally Posted by KJD Mk1
I love the colour of those wheels Jay absolutely spot on.
The whole car is transformed IMO
Thanks Kev, fair play to Reynard he did a very nice job on them, I wonder how long it's going to be before I kerb one???
Old 07 April 2015, 12:30 PM
bry with a y
Scooby Regular

Looking good yesterday by waitrose jay thought I heard the burble and obviously it wasn't coming from my ride lol..you got her spot on now and is looking pie hot
Old 07 April 2015, 09:00 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bry with a y
Looking good yesterday by waitrose jay thought I heard the burble and obviously it wasn't coming from my ride lol..you got her spot on now and is looking pie hot
Cheers Bry
Old 08 April 2015, 10:29 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Onwards and upwards Jay.
Old 08 April 2015, 09:03 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Onwards and upwards Jay.
Getting there Ian, as you know well, it's surprising how much work you find when you starting running through things to bring up to a standard we're happy with.
Old 09 April 2015, 09:16 AM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Peter Pan;11660454]Thanks Lee, as said it has been frustrating at times over the past few weeks but also a great deal of pleasure getting it to where it is now and putting a good few miles on it over this weekend. I caught a glimpse of a White hawk just outside Abergavenny on the HOV road yesterday, was it you???

No buddy was not me

You have done a good job to be fair
Old 09 April 2015, 03:28 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

Looks lovely jay, wide arches though. You know my thoughts ��
Old 09 April 2015, 06:04 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by big daz2
Looks lovely jay, wide arches though. You know my thoughts ��
I know Daz, I love the look of them too but I'm worried it'll be an acquired taste when I sell so putting off buyers. If it had rusty arches like a classic can suffer then I wouldn't think twice.
Old 21 June 2015, 11:14 AM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

As most of you know the STI went to a new owner on Friday evening . I always find it annoying when threads are left unfinished so I thought I'd hop back on and wrap this one up.
It was the first newage that I've owned and really loved my time with the car along with the hours spent returning it to a standard I was happy with. When the car came into my ownership it was apparent it was a well sorted car with a great deal of money spent on it but needed some tlc in the right places.
From the track day at Llandow to our recent trip over to the Nurburgring the car has always performed impeccably and put many a smile on my face every time I drove it.
I really wish Aiden all the best with the car and hope he gets as much pleasure out of it as I have within his ownership, I'm going to miss it for sure.
Old 21 June 2015, 04:21 PM
gregwill
Scooby Regular

Good to see it has gone to a new owner and at least hes getting a well maintained and mechanically sound car!!
Old 21 June 2015, 09:38 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gregwill
Good to see it has gone to a new owner and at least hes getting a well maintained and mechanically sound car!!
For sure Greg and thanks to you for playing a large part in the sale of the car
Old 21 June 2015, 10:08 PM
gregwill
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peter Pan
For sure Greg and thanks to you for playing a large part in the sale of the car
No problem at all buddy And you still got the other scoob to enjoy any more thoughts on another motor?
Old 21 June 2015, 10:34 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gregwill
No problem at all buddy And you still got the other scoob to enjoy any more thoughts on another motor?
Unfortunately the car I was going to view sold yesterday morning so just a waiting game now until the right one with the right spec comes along.