Notices
Trader Announcements Announcements (including special offers, product/service information) made by Authorised Advertisers

SS Headers new design now in stock

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2015, 09:57 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS Headers new design now in stock

We have taken alot of care and time in developing these new headers, they are made from HD 2mm tube, precision tig welded and have slip joints on the front pipes which can be clamped with Mikalor clamps(supplied) for total sealing. The design gives excellent gas flow and good clearance for fitting. The up-pipe is a smaller bore than most aftermarket headers giving great spool and gas flow to the turbo, it also features a double walled slip joint. This makes the fitting easier to get everything perfectly aligned. It also prevents cracking and was specifically developed for competition cars running very high temps, eg antilag.
Ive run one on my own rally car (34mm restictor-338bhp/600nm) for the past 3 years and even running in the hottest weather with antilag on they are still not showing any sign of cracking.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Imp...item51d20d1074
Old 03 June 2015, 10:01 AM
Darrell@Scoobyworx
Authorised Trader

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be intrested to see some feedback on these once fitted with some before and after figures
Old 03 June 2015, 11:30 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

The actual manifold size and shape is the same as my old ones, which have always given good results as seen on our test car-
https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...test-mule.html
the main improvements are thicker pipe, better weld quality and a better way of sealing the front slip joints. The up-pipe is the main thing to improve on, as its a smaller bore and the slip joint improves the fitment and reliability. We will also be selling the up-pipe seperately but they havn't arrived yet.
Old 03 June 2015, 07:23 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I notice you have no restrictor bars welded at the slip joints to stop them opening up to much. If you clamp them at the slip joint then they can't expand so pointless having a slip joint.
Old 04 June 2015, 09:47 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Arch
I notice you have no restrictor bars welded at the slip joints to stop them opening up to much. If you clamp them at the slip joint then they can't expand so pointless having a slip joint.
Yes they are clamped together, but not welded solid, so they can move about enough to prevent cracking and the clamps keep a good seal.
They have been tested in a very harsh environment and no signs of cracking or leaks from the slip joints or the up-pipe gasket. What ive found over many years of fitting, fixing and re-designing is that allowing some movement between the fixed points of the manifold is the key thing.
Old 04 June 2015, 09:09 PM
t999cuk
Scooby Regular

Hi,

What kind of power are these suited to?
Old 05 June 2015, 09:40 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by t999cuk
Hi,

What kind of power are these suited to?
You will see gains from a mildly tuned WRX on a std turbo. But they are suitable for any stock position turbo, so up to 500-550, after that you need to go rotated anyway.
Old 05 June 2015, 02:11 PM
stealthbomber
Scooby Regular

Well, I orders a set yesterday on the strength of Andys advice and workmanship. I'd been debating over what way to go ie ported or gt spec but after speaking to andy I thought I'd give his a go, they look a quality product and home grown and developed, fair price too. I won't be able to report back yet as I'm just collecting parts for my build as funds allow.
Old 05 June 2015, 04:44 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wms-racing
Yes they are clamped together, but not welded solid, so they can move about enough to prevent cracking and the clamps keep a good seal.
They have been tested in a very harsh environment and no signs of cracking or leaks from the slip joints or the up-pipe gasket. What ive found over many years of fitting, fixing and re-designing is that allowing some movement between the fixed points of the manifold is the key thing.
The point I was trying to make relates to the amount of movement allowed on the slip joints. I have just had a failure of the pipe for cyl 4 just before the collector. This has been attributed to fatigue caused by the restraining bar for that pipe failing and allowing the expansion joint to expand suffficiently to cause repeated flex at the area of the weld at the collector. This fatigue eventiually caused the failure below. That's why in my opinion the headers, which look good could benefit from the restraining bars on the slip joints of the two pipes from cyl's 2 and 4.

Name:  Headers%202_zps5htbp10h.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  249.1 KB

Name:  Headers%201_zpsbf8y2seq.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  314.1 KB
Old 07 June 2015, 08:53 AM
Fai17
Scooby Regular

An absolute bargain buy if it delivers what it promises.
Welldone Andy for putting another option out there for potential buyers.
Old 08 June 2015, 10:00 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

The point I was trying to make relates to the amount of movement allowed on the slip joints. I have just had a failure of the pipe for cyl 4 just before the collector. This has been attributed to fatigue caused by the restraining bar for that pipe failing and allowing the expansion joint to expand suffficiently to cause repeated flex at the area of the weld at the collector. This fatigue eventiually caused the failure below. That's why in my opinion the headers, which look good could benefit from the restraining bars on the slip joints of the two pipes from cyl's 2 and 4.

Fair play, thats the biggest crack ive ever seen, on a manifold anyway! I see what your saying about restricting the amount they can expand now. All I can say is that the set ive tested has been faultless so far. At the end of the day no matter which SS headers you buy, they will at some point crack. they are a comlplex shape with alot of bends and welds, and they go through so many heat cycles.
Old 08 June 2015, 10:08 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Hope you have not taken this as negative as it was meant to be constructive, your headers do look very well made and well designed. In my opinion a couple of restrictor bars on the slip joints would make them even better.
Old 08 June 2015, 10:45 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Hope you have not taken this as negative as it was meant to be constructive, your headers do look very well made and well designed. In my opinion a couple of restrictor bars on the slip joints would make them even better.
No not at all, these have been an evolution of a variety of manifolds ive sold over the years, the performance of them has never been in doubt, but the fitting and reliablity is the main thing I have tried to resolve with these.
Hopefully i'll have another couple of cars I can show dyno results soon, I have a pretty std bug wrx and a V7 JDM STI with a 2.6 stroker in to test.
Old 08 June 2015, 09:31 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Could have helped you out there but already went down the RCM road and ordered a set
Old 09 June 2015, 10:43 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Andy, are you only making them with a 2 bolt up pipe design ?? Wasnt your previous model using the 3 bolt fitment ??
Old 09 June 2015, 04:54 PM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dubzy
Hello Andy, are you only making them with a 2 bolt up pipe design ?? Wasnt your previous model using the 3 bolt fitment ??
I don't have any plans to go to 3 bolt, the idea behind this is that the up-pipe/headers are interchangable with the std ones. We will have the up-pipes for sale seperately for anyone wanting to de-cat their wrx's. Ive found that the issues with gaskets leaking on the 2 bolt flange isn't a problem when you have the slip joint in the up-pipe, as they can 'float' and allow for any heat expansion.
Old 09 June 2015, 05:05 PM
Shortyturbo
Scooby Regular

I'm considering giving it a try.
Are they made to order or do you have in stock?
Old 09 June 2015, 10:01 PM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

Just bought a "trick uppipe " for my standard headers, can you see these making much difference to the standard ported headers and will the trick uppipe fit your headers? Also if so will you do any sort of discount without your uppipe?
Thanks Ian.
Old 10 June 2015, 10:00 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ianbott
Just bought a "trick uppipe " for my standard headers, can you see these making much difference to the standard ported headers and will the trick uppipe fit your headers? Also if so will you do any sort of discount without your uppipe?
Thanks Ian.
It really depends on the rest of the setup and what you are trying to get from the engine, std ported headers with a small up-pipe with a smallish turbo will be great. I would say if you are trying to make mid 300's or more tubular headers will start to come into their own. Std headers have a pretty small single pipe across the front and as you start pushing the gas flow up it does start to be a restriction.
We have nearly sold out of the first few sets in stock, but there's another 50 on the way and should be available from the end of the month. If you are in a rush I can probably get hold of one set. They do come as the kit - headers/up-pipe, but yes you could fit your trick up-pipe and sell the other one. Let me know if you need a set?
regards
Andy
Old 10 June 2015, 10:56 AM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply Andy, I have recently bought an MDX321T and aiming for somewhere around 400-420bhp, I know it's capable of more but don't need it haha.
I didn't really want to go down the rcm route purely for cost plus I am not looking for all out power as want to retain some low down spool so from what you have said they seem ideal.

Would the up pipe you supply with the headers make much difference to spoil if swapping from a standard uppipe?
Cheers Ian.
Old 10 June 2015, 07:28 PM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the reply Andy, I have recently bought an MDX321T and aiming for somewhere around 400-420bhp, I know it's capable of more but don't need it haha.
I didn't really want to go down the rcm route purely for cost plus I am not looking for all out power as want to retain some low down spool so from what you have said they seem ideal.

Would the up pipe you supply with the headers make much difference to spoil if swapping from a standard uppipe?
Cheers Ian.
It's hard to say 100% but the up-pipes are matched to the headers, i'll have to check how the std up-pipe mates up, I think there is a small lip as they are a bit smaller dia than the new ones. I will check in the morning and let you know.
Old 10 June 2015, 07:59 PM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the response. The only reason I ask is I want to use the Harvey uppipe as it cost me a fortune lol. So the thinking is fit these headers with the Harvey uppipe and flog the uppipe that comes with the headers as an upgrade for someone.
Cheers Ian
Old 11 June 2015, 12:57 PM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the response. The only reason I ask is I want to use the Harvey uppipe as it cost me a fortune lol. So the thinking is fit these headers with the Harvey uppipe and flog the uppipe that comes with the headers as an upgrade for someone.
Cheers Ian
Can you tell me the bore of the up-pipe you have please? I need an up-pipe myself for a very secret project, lol, so we can do a deal on just the headers if you need a set.
Old 13 June 2015, 07:27 PM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

Hi inlet and outlet of the new up pipe are 46mm.
You need any more info? What sort of deal you have in mind?
Old 15 June 2015, 09:47 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Quick up-date, the first few we had in stock have all gone, but the full shipment is due to land thiw weekend, so all being well we will have them ready to send out by the end of next week.
Old 17 June 2015, 12:21 PM
jbagh
Scooby Regular

So you will update the link with an ebay listing that has not ended?
Old 17 June 2015, 01:12 PM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jbagh
So you will update the link with an ebay listing that has not ended?
Yes I will as soon as we have them here, we have loads of interest in them so sooner they land the better
Old 28 June 2015, 06:25 PM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

Are these back in stock yet?
Old 30 June 2015, 09:44 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Are these back in stock yet?
Yes they have arrived yesterday, let me know when you need one.
Old 02 July 2015, 10:38 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

In stock now folks
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Imp...item51d39a58a9
We also have the up-pipes available seperately and will put a listing up shortly

Quick Reply: SS Headers new design now in stock