Notices

Please Help: Wobbly Ride

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2016, 05:40 PM
Da Matser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help: Wobbly Ride

I have an '07 Hawk STI on Eibach springs and noticed an issue with the steering over the past 12 months. When I accelerate on a right-hand sweeping bend the car pulls right slightly and when I come off the throttle (retarding not braking) it pulls left slightly. It is not noticeable in a straight line and I am not sure about left-handers.
I first noticed it after a change of tyre and thought it could be down to dissimilar treads but have recently had a new set of wheels & tyres.
The dealer previously said it could be a lower arm bush. On a recent MOT they had to replace a cracked droplink and I was hoping that was it, but alas, it's still there.
So I am wondering if I should go for some polybushing and if so, which bushes. I assume I would then need a geo setup. That got me thinking and I am wondering if a geo setup is all it needs
Has anyone had any previous experience of this phenomena and what advice would you give please?

Thanks, MAF

Last edited by Da Matser; 22 June 2016 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Inserted Eibach springs
Old 30 November 2016, 12:33 AM
Da Matser
Scooby Regular

A polite bump?
Old 30 November 2016, 09:33 AM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Poly bushes for a road car aren't ideal IMO unless you are prepared to accept the inevitable decline in NVH.

If you have never had a alignment I would start with that. Yes you'll have to pay to do it twice if it doesn't solve the problem and you end up replacing suspension components, but chances are the alignment could well sort it.
Old 30 November 2016, 06:36 PM
Da Matser
Scooby Regular

Thanks @plenty. I didn't realise there were any downsides to polybushes Does NVH mean Noise, Vibration Harshness?

I will go for a geo alignment and see how things go. Any advice on settings please?
Old 30 November 2016, 09:16 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, poly bushes will be harsher than OEM which might grate if the car is a daily.

Settings are a very personal choice...if you're starting out it pays to spend some time reading up on it. The Prodrive settings aren't a bad default option if you don't mind some compromise on tyre longevity.