Notices

Clunk/rattling noise coming from the back end

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2015, 09:49 PM
tgordine
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk/rattling noise coming from the back end

Hi guys, I was wondering if you could help me out. Since I have had my 2004 blobeye (only a couple of months) it has always had a bit of a clunk/rattle from the back end. It is more noticeable on the passenger side but I think there is a noise on the other side as well, just nowhere near as loud.

Originally I thought it was something to do with the boot maybe as it has an STI spoiler but I suspect only the stock WRX torsion rods (boot springs whatever you want to call them). So I took the boot, hinges and rods off this weekend and took it for a drive but it was still making the noise.

I have been reading up on this problem and it seems to be fairly common on stock suspension whereby the suspensions rattles as it does not have enough grease in them but this has KW coilovers (I think V3's) on them which led me to think that maybe the top mount has gone.

I took the top mount cover off, as I already had the rear interior out to remove the boot, and they seemed OK from a visual inspection on top but are there any tests I can try to find out if it is definitely the top mounts or has anyone else had any similar issues whilst using coilovers?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 06 August 2015, 08:51 PM
Owain1972
Scooby Newbie

My bugeye 02 wagon clunks enough to feel it on a turn thats a bit more than a light turn. In the wet it breaks away into a slide, not ideal for a road car! Ive (probably wrongly) assumed it was a mod by the prev owner, (the boot had a full on fluro lights ICE install) who I thought was a boy racer who liked to raz it up. The back end feels like it has AWS and 'flows' around corners in the dry. Is that normal?
Any suggestions anyone?
Old 12 August 2015, 09:32 PM
antz84
Scooby Regular

My blob eye also clunks n rattles on any uneven ground when going slowly thort was exhaust but have rattled exhaust and leant rubbing on anything, any ideas ?
Old 13 August 2015, 08:40 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Check the rear anti roll bar and mounts, ive just had to change my arb due to the bar corroding and becoming too thin for the bush to hold it properly, ive now fitted a whiteline bar and its all sorted.
Old 13 August 2015, 09:36 AM
rovermb6
Scooby Regular

Rear strut top mounts
Old 30 August 2015, 09:39 AM
realsteal
Scooby Newbie

give this a try. It worked for me.