Notices

Front shocks knocking? hawk wrx wagon

Old 30 March 2015, 11:50 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front shocks knocking? hawk wrx wagon

Hi all, I have had a small knock on the front left for a while. But only seemed to do it over 1 or 2 speed bumps. Recently knocking a bit more.
I replaced the rear shocks last year to KYB Excel-G shocks and this cured it the rear knocking. I think the fronts are the same inverted shock design as the rear? Are they also susceptible to this problem?

I thought it was the wishbone ball joint so I replaced that when I did the wheel bearings.
Roll bar and drop links changed to white line so sure it isn't that.
Could it be top mounts and would it be worth doing them as well while there?
Any 'upgrade' options I should consider?

Cheers,
Old 01 April 2015, 07:54 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Anyone confirm these part numbers are the correct ones for the KYB Excel-g's on the hawk wagon?

I am fairly sure they need to be replaced.

thanks,
Old 01 April 2015, 08:14 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More likely to be a drop link as the front shocks are not known to knock.
Old 01 April 2015, 08:21 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Cheers for reply but car has had the knock before and after changing the drop links for whiteline ones. made no difference to the noise at all.

suspension top mounts maybe?
Old 01 April 2015, 08:23 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Or lower ball joint , if you are friendly with your mot tester get it up on ramp and test the joints.
Old 01 April 2015, 08:30 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

way ahead of you... I replaced ball joints on both sides when I replaced wheel bearings.
I thought it could be that as well.. given this price they are it made sense to do while it was all off.
Also gave the wishbones bushes a good going over and bushes are also in good condition.

as you can see I am running out of things to replace.

Oh and it has gone through 2 MOT's at 2 different garages with this knocking and not been picked up either time. the 2nd garage even did a full hunter 4 wheel alignment and said nothing about any issues.
Baffled and annoyed lol
Old 01 April 2015, 08:33 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Top mounts struts or hub nut , hope you get it sorted, don't know if the lithium grease on the shaft works on the front as a sanity check for shocks.
Old 01 April 2015, 08:56 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Confident the hub nut is ok as was replaced with a new one and torqued up correctly when bearings were done. and edge knocked in to stop it moving etc. that and it knocked before and after the bearings were done.

This is where it gets expensive then lol.. If doing the struts then for peace of mind I would do the top mounts at the same time, and possibly fit the STi group N mounts for an extra few £'s more.

I have been putting up with it for ages as it had not got any worse.. but now is getting worse so I have to track the noise down.

So, Anyone know the correct part numbers for front KYB shocks on a 56 plate Hawk WRX wagon are? lol
Old 01 April 2015, 09:01 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Something has just occurred to me.... The front near side wheel (side making noise) was bent on the inner edge when I got the car.. I bought a new wheel to replace it.
Now I think about it had that done any damage to maybe slightly kink the strut or damage the top mount and cause the knocking noise?!

Could possibly have my answer here.
Old 01 April 2015, 09:34 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

I had a knocking from front left on my blob wagon so replaced the shocks and top mounts (lemforder) when fitting my lowering PCA Dynamics springs, cured the knock.

Part numbers for excel-gs are correct for your wagon, same as what I ordered.
Old 01 April 2015, 10:03 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Cheers, It currently has the inverted shocks. are the new ones the more traditional style shock? I would ideally like to do away with the inverted style if I can help it.

The STi group N mounts are £17 more than the stock Subaru ones.. I do love an uprated part lol

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...y=&searchPart=

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...y=&searchPart=
Old 02 April 2015, 12:08 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Camskill have come back to me and said the ones I require are
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m10b0s2662...03_on_Excl_STi

not a bad deal but not in stock
Do we have any discount codes for Camskill?
Old 02 April 2015, 01:30 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Got mine from ebay, £70 each, a lot cheaper than Camskil:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/dsc/i.html?_so...dkw=kyb+334463

http://www.ebay.co.uk/dsc/i.html?_so...ront&_osacat=0
Old 02 April 2015, 03:34 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

I don't think they are the same part number on the Hawkeye. The ones you list are 2003 to 2005.

KYB numbers for hawk are 339121 and 339122 as far as I can tell.
Old 03 April 2015, 04:44 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Here we go on another KYB part number hunt!

I've just downloaded the latest 2015 KYB catalogue and those part numbers don't exist however google them and they appear on websites in the states which reminds me they kept cropping up when I was searching for my front dampers and wondered if they were inverted versions (but, I believe the US never got inverted dampers on the WRX) and have never found an answer.

The dampers on the hawk wagon are the same as on the late blob (inverted) dampers which is what was fitted to mine but the KYB dampers I fitted (non inverted) are the numbers you initially listed and are listed in the 2015 KYB catalogue for fitment to 2003-07 wagon so blob & hawk.

Would be interesting to see what dampers Camskill supply as I doubt they will be different to what is listed in the 2015 Europe catalogue.
Old 03 April 2015, 06:57 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

We will soon find out what dampers Camskill supply I decided to order them as it will be easier to go back to them if there is an issue and they do not fit. They said there would be a 2 to 4 week lead time on them. This suits me fine as I will be too busy to fit them before then.

I dare say you are right and the original part numbers I posted will indeed fit. according to the catalogue it states MY1.03 - 12.07
I will keep you posted on the part numbers when they arrive.

Oh and I could not resist the STi top mounts so they are also on order.
Old 03 April 2015, 11:57 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Yep, be interested to find out what turns up!

Maybe they're ordering them in from the states...
Old 04 April 2015, 07:42 AM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

It really wouldn't surprise me if the kit is comprised of both the part numbers we already have.
Old 17 April 2015, 05:31 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Update on this. Apologies, it will be a lengthy post.

Mark at Camskill called me as they could not source the right shock. It was on back order from Japan. They then called me again 10 minutes later to inform me there was a manufacturing fault and they have no date of arrival...

He then advised he would be happy to supply me the individual part numbers and I could contact other sellers to see if any have them in stock.. I agreed but asked could they just modify my order and send me the 1 they did have.

For the record part numbers for the Hawk WRX wagon are indeed 334462 and 334463. (no surprises huh?)

I was finally able to source the other shock from a seller on ebay, I contacted a few and they all advised no stock and again no availability.
He did disagree with me as he said this was the incorrect part number and gave me a part number for the saloon?! He finally posted out the shock I wanted. Both arrived yesterday and I have had a chance to fit them.

when fitting I noticed the rubber mount at the top was split allowing the spring to dig into the top of the shock, rotated this round to a nice fresh bit of rubber.
I also got some TEIN Spring silencers http://www.tein.co.uk/product/silencer_rubber.html and fitted them to the bottom of the spring in the metal dish.

Then the Group N STi top mounts.. So glad I got these, the bearings in the original ones were notchy and loose and the rubber cracked. Way past their best.

So far, feels nice to drive. noticeable quieter and most importantly the knocking seems to have been cured.
This makes my day... Having spent near £300 on parts I would have been miffed if it still knocked.

Tracking etc. out but will get looked at over the next week or so.

I could not commit to saying if the shocks or the top mounts was the cause of the knocking but my thinking was to swap both while doing it.
Old 22 April 2015, 04:46 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

What is the difference between the STI grp.N mounts and standard WRX - just the stiffness of the rubber?
Old 22 April 2015, 06:11 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

basically yes. they look very similar to the OEM ones but the rubber is noticeably firmer when you dig your nail in.
as they were only a few more £ than the stock ones it was good enough justification for me