Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2014, 03:28 PM
DTVHSR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apex Lowering Springs

I'm looking to get Apex Lowering springs for my 55 plate WRX Blobeye

They state a 30mm drop.

Can I get away with this without it knackering my suspension geometry too much?

I have KYB Ultra SR's on the rear and I'd imagine I'll need to add them to the front also as I have stock shocks on the front.

If I get the tracking set up and camber bolts could I run with a 30mm drop with out needing a roll correction kit?

Cheers.
Old 03 October 2014, 08:09 PM
DTVHSR
Scooby Regular

No one?
Old 04 October 2014, 08:52 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not 100% sure but I would guess it should be ok.. I have a hawkeye wagon on KYB shocks and prodrive springs.. No sign of camber adjusting bolts or roll correction kit I can see and this was fitted by the dealer from new.
As for APEX not my personal choice. been in a few cars with them fitted (not impreza's) and always found them overly hard and crashy. If I replaced my prodrive springs would probably be Eibach's. personal thing I guess.
Old 05 October 2014, 12:03 AM
DTVHSR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FuZzBoM
Not 100% sure but I would guess it should be ok.. I have a hawkeye wagon on KYB shocks and prodrive springs.. No sign of camber adjusting bolts or roll correction kit I can see and this was fitted by the dealer from new.
As for APEX not my personal choice. been in a few cars with them fitted (not impreza's) and always found them overly hard and crashy. If I replaced my prodrive springs would probably be Eibach's. personal thing I guess.
That's the thing, Eibachs being less of a drop would be preferable but £233's vs £104, I want my lowering springs to be hard and no mention of comfort in their description lol. But yeah, if they are ridiculous and crashy that's the other end of the spectrum. I have on good authority that Apex springs are fine to use on impreza's they are good quality even though they are cheaper than the rest.

Might just have to go for it and see what happens!

Cheers bud.
Old 05 October 2014, 10:07 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What about other alternatives? TEIN have a good reputation and its between the price of APEX and Eibach
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Imp...item1e8cd3e969
Old 07 October 2014, 09:42 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL - Eibach make the Prodrive springs
I've had:
- WRX on Standard Shocks and standard springs
- WRX on Standard Shocks with Prodrive springs
- STI on standard shocks with TEIN Springs
- Coilovers on both

Standard shocks + Tein springs were the most comfortable combo for me and rode better than any other Impreza I've ever been in.
Trouble is with the wide tracks when they develop that ******* knocking
I'd say if I had the money, I'd go with TEIN every time.
They won't rust like the Prodrive or other cheap kits do either - my old Tein ones had done about 8000 miles and were still bright green

And no, you won't need a roll centre correction kit or camber bolts for just this mod, BUT you will want a proper four wheel alignment after by someone who knows what they're doing with a geo machine (i.e. not kwik fit )
You can buy the above mods but you probably won't get a great deal of benefit from them for the outlay, and the springs alone won't damage your car.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 07 October 2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08 October 2014, 10:58 AM
DTVHSR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrNoisy
LOL - Eibach make the Prodrive springs
I've had:
- WRX on Standard Shocks and standard springs
- WRX on Standard Shocks with Prodrive springs
- STI on standard shocks with TEIN Springs
- Coilovers on both

Standard shocks + Tein springs were the most comfortable combo for me and rode better than any other Impreza I've ever been in.
Trouble is with the wide tracks when they develop that ******* knocking
I'd say if I had the money, I'd go with TEIN every time.
They won't rust like the Prodrive or other cheap kits do either - my old Tein ones had done about 8000 miles and were still bright green

And no, you won't need a roll centre correction kit or camber bolts for just this mod, BUT you will want a proper four wheel alignment after by someone who knows what they're doing with a geo machine (i.e. not kwik fit )
You can buy the above mods but you probably won't get a great deal of benefit from them for the outlay, and the springs alone won't damage your car.

Good to know man thanks. I've looked at TEIN prevsiouly but decided against them for whatever reason. I want to lower the car with stiffer springs but not too low.

Sounds like a plan, I'll book it in to somewhere with a properly geo set up and get it checked.

Thanks for the info
Old 19 October 2014, 12:40 PM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Got apex springs on the Mrs Classic sport special - very harsh ride and lowered to about 35 to 40 mm.

Very hard springs though - also have standard wrx shocks - the car has gone through 2 rear wheel bearings in a year on the same side - since fitting the new suspension - but has only done about 2 and a half thousand miles in that time.

I'm not saying outright that the hard ride has caused the wheel bearing failure but it's a little suspect don't ya think ?

Andy.
Old 19 October 2014, 08:13 PM
DTVHSR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dark_angel
Got apex springs on the Mrs Classic sport special - very harsh ride and lowered to about 35 to 40 mm.

Very hard springs though - also have standard wrx shocks - the car has gone through 2 rear wheel bearings in a year on the same side - since fitting the new suspension - but has only done about 2 and a half thousand miles in that time.

I'm not saying outright that the hard ride has caused the wheel bearing failure but it's a little suspect don't ya think ?

Andy.
Yeah the Apex springs for classics get a 40mm drop which fairly bit tbh, newage get 30mm or so they claim!

See I like the fact that they are hard spings, but they sound overly hard considering the wheel bearings going so quickly!
Take it was the N/S bearings?

Thanks for the info
Old 20 October 2014, 12:39 PM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DTVHSR
Yeah the Apex springs for classics get a 40mm drop which fairly bit tbh, newage get 30mm or so they claim!

See I like the fact that they are hard spings, but they sound overly hard considering the wheel bearings going so quickly!
Take it was the N/S bearings?

Thanks for the info
It has suprised me as well - yes N/S bearings.

No worries.

Andy