Notices
Sport General sport discussion

The 2015-2016 Manchester United Thread

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2015, 08:59 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard one football pundit say that Ronaldo could easily pull in excess of £50-60 million through merchandising every year for the club so it appear sensible to try and persuade him to return.

My thoughts are that he will go to PSG simply because he'll pull in a mega bucks deal, it's an easier league, not as physical or as fast as the Premier League.
Old 24 November 2015, 10:46 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Can't see Ronaldo coming back. He said on interview other day he wants to finish at top of his game, and wants to stay at Madrid, so only if they don't want him would he leave.
Old 25 November 2015, 09:46 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone else beginning to struggle watching this week in week out, I thought Lvg had turned a corner during that spell against Liverpool spurs and Chelsea towards the end of last season, we're probably worse than last season presently.

Yes I'd have Ronnie back just to inject some pace

Bored ****less tonight
Old 25 November 2015, 10:10 PM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Absolutely dire tonight. Why bring fellaini on to give away the ball and commit foul after foul? Really hard to watch. Thought young was going to come on for rojo, so he and depay could double up down the left hand side. And what was the point in giving mata 5 minutes?
Old 25 November 2015, 11:35 PM
elgassi
Scooby Regular

terrible
we have it all to do now
Old 26 November 2015, 11:08 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

It wasn't the best performance. although clean sheet, but should of scored. To be honest the front 4 was the exact 4 i would of chose. I like the young and depay idea, as that has worked well in the past and both have pace.

I'm not sure what else i would have done, as they had the pace up front.
Old 26 November 2015, 12:07 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 154 Likes on 105 Posts

It's dire to watch, they lack creativity and quality in the final third. Starting with 2 defensive midfielders, at home in a must win game is negative for a start.

When PSV counter attacked they did it with more pace and a lot more quality, the way they went through our midfield was too easy at times. Imagine what Barcelona, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich would do to the same midfield, i don't think we need to worry about that as i'll be very surprised if we get the result we need away at Wolfsburg.

Rooney for a leader isn't leading, he needs to lead by example but constantly giving the ball away isn't doing that. Lingard did some great work off the ball but he needs to work on his finishing, he missed 2 easy chances against Watford and again last night he missed glorious chances.

As i said in a previous post a while back you can expect a lot more of this dull football under LVG, he's the wrong fit for a club like United who have a tradition of being an exciting and free flowing attacking team. Klopp would have been a great fit but that's by the by now.
Old 26 November 2015, 01:26 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Well as they say the proof is in the pudding. I prefer more exciting football, but if they beat Leicester on Saturday, what can you say. I can't see it happening, i'm sure Vardy will get a goal, and can't see united getting 2.
Old 26 November 2015, 09:18 PM
elgassi
Scooby Regular

klopp might be at RM next season IMO

We have moved forward with LVG, compared to the short lived Moyes era
time will tell if we come through this goal drought, hopefully someone steps up to the plate and we drop the shackles and starts blasting the goals in ! starting on Sat
Old 27 November 2015, 01:21 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

the stats say they are pretty close in terms of results - after 50 games anyway

http://www.sportskeeda.com/football/...chester-united

maybe a question of perception - Moyes never really looked comfortable in the role
Old 27 November 2015, 09:44 PM
elgassi
Scooby Regular

I reckon our footing is way stronger now than it was with Moyes
(I don't fear every single game now)

We just need a couple of the players to step up and start scoring (please)
our season could really start to look a lot brighter - champions again
Old 28 November 2015, 02:12 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Van gall has proven himself to be good, same here, not as nervous about every game. More confident. And there stopping the goals coming in just need to score more now.

Anyone like to guess score line?
Old 28 November 2015, 06:30 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

That first half consisted of no pace, no creativity and generally no idea from United. Even Martial is off his game at the min, Leicester looked impressive on the ball, they have pace and a lot of creativity.

If i'm being honest i'm surprised that United got the draw as Leicester should have killed the game off with the chances they had especially the one from Ulloa, at least LVG had the metal for once to take Rooney off.

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 28 November 2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 28 November 2015, 08:36 PM
elgassi
Scooby Regular

^^ agree
were terrible if the truth be known, but I'd never admit it lol
Old 29 November 2015, 03:39 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

To be fair United controlled the game until Leicester scored the first goal. Then they pulled united apart, until United scored a goal. 2nd half was back and forth, Man u dominating position and Leicester basically just counter attacking, they nearly scored aswell, if hadn't been for De gea and Smalling.

On the plus side Smalling was man of the match, he did well tracking back with Vardy, Vardy has more pace, but Smalling completely shut him down, he's starting to be a very solid for the back 4
Old 01 December 2015, 10:57 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Same old same old I'm afraid, I agree with the comments about not thinking we will lose every game, i.e. I have some confidence in the team, but I certainly no longer think Yeah we'll smash this lot.

Rooney - Finished or LVG's system is destroying his supply and his game.

Not into stats necessarily, but it was interesting to see the only person in the team against CSKA who covered less distance than Rooney was De Gea.
Old 05 December 2015, 11:16 PM
elgassi
Scooby Regular

another poor performance, if we could just get our act together the league is there for the taking, the top teams are slipping up every week, if only we could turn our draws into wins
cracking performance by Bournemouth tonight, well deserved win
Old 06 December 2015, 11:27 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Forget about the league elgassi, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Liverpool finish ahead of United and United didn't make the top 4.

The only reason City are struggling at the min is they have a depleted squad through injuries, i think i read that City only have 13 or 14 fit players. It's the same with Arsenal, they are also heavily hit with injuries.

Everything is wrong at United, the manager is the wrong fit for United, he's also well past his sell by date. The squad is very thin on quality, United have just one genuine world class player and that's De Gae.
Old 06 December 2015, 01:16 PM
elgassi
Scooby Regular

hope you're wrong about Liverpool, but I do think they'll have a good season, Klopp will grow in stature, problem for L/Pool is keeping him when Real come looking for Benitez's replacement
I live in hope for United - as ever
we are short of quality all over the park, albeit if we could score a few the players may react and start showing a bit more class (if they have it ?)
Old 06 December 2015, 06:35 PM
elgassi
Scooby Regular

It's a funny old game, just got back in and seen the score, well done Newcastle
Old 09 December 2015, 01:00 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

That wasn't exactly a great return to the Champions League, in 6 games United picked up just 8pts. When the draw was made most experts were saying that Manchester united would be delighted with draw as it looked an easy group which they should breeze through, past United teams would have breezed through that group, it just shows how far from grace United have fell and are continuing to fall.

The midfield simply isn't good enough, i've never rated Mata, neither did Mourhino and i can see why. Schweinsteiger looks past his best and seriously lacks pace, players go past him too easily. Lingard isn't United standard, he does a lot of good work but it's his end product and shooting that's nowhere near good enough. Carrick is too predictable, sideways, sideways and backwards.

From the current squad i'd only keep De Gae, Smalling, Shaw, Memphis and Martial. The rest arn't good enough for Manchester United.

Even Darmian is starting to look ropey after a bright start, Blind would be a good squad player but not a starter, with Schneiderlin you need more time to judge him as he's been in and out of the side, Young would be a good squad player from the bench, Jones i've never rated, the same applies to Rojo, Valencia and Herrera. Rooney i've commented on enough, this should be his last season imo and the same goes for LVG and he can take his philosophy with him.

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 09 December 2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09 December 2015, 06:33 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Positives ? Varela and Borthwick-Jones
Old 09 December 2015, 07:18 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Joshua Tree
That wasn't exactly a great return to the Champions League, in 6 games United picked up just 8pts. When the draw was made most experts were saying that Manchester united would be delighted with draw as it looked an easy group which they should breeze through, past United teams would have breezed through that group, it just shows how far from grace United have fell and are continuing to fall.

The midfield simply isn't good enough, i've never rated Mata, neither did Mourhino and i can see why. Schweinsteiger looks past his best and seriously lacks pace, players go past him too easily. Lingard isn't United standard, he does a lot of good work but it's his end product and shooting that's nowhere near good enough. Carrick is too predictable, sideways, sideways and backwards.

From the current squad i'd only keep De Gae, Smalling, Shaw, Memphis and Martial. The rest arn't good enough for Manchester United.

Even Darmian is starting to look ropey after a bright start, Blind would be a good squad player but not a starter, with Schneiderlin you need more time to judge him as he's been in and out of the side, Young would be a good squad player from the bench, Jones i've never rated, the same applies to Rojo, Valencia and Herrera. Rooney i've commented on enough, this should be his last season imo and the same goes for LVG and he can take his philosophy with him.
I find it hard to disagree!
Old 09 December 2015, 07:47 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
Positives ? Varela and Borthwick-Jones
Definitely, both can walk with their heads held high, neither looked out of place which is credit to them given their age and lack of experience.
Old 10 December 2015, 04:45 PM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say at the moment it is only De Gea, Shaw, Smalling and Martial that can be assured of a place.

Herrera I like but he hasn't had a run. Mata I like but you need to build a team around him like City do Silva, on the wing he is wasted.

Rooney/Carrick/Schweiny have moments but all too infrequently.

The rest are bang average. Fellaini has to go whilst we can get any money for him (cheeky Fellaini plus cash for Lukaku would be nice!)

Got to be worth giving Pereira a few games until January?

Can only dream but Pogba would fill a massive void if we could pull that off. Doubt it though, why us when he could pick practically any team?
Old 10 December 2015, 05:11 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

One of the better silly rumours was Rooney + cash for Lukaku and Barkley
Old 10 December 2015, 05:38 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

maybe not first on the team sheet, or in that starting 11 at all

but surely Fellaini has a place in most premiership teams (maybe city and Chelsea excepted)

he may have not been worth the money United paid - but he is a handful for the opposing defenders and does get some important goals
Old 11 December 2015, 06:05 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
maybe not first on the team sheet, or in that starting 11 at all

but surely Fellaini has a place in most premiership teams (maybe city and Chelsea excepted)

he may have not been worth the money United paid - but he is a handful for the opposing defenders and does get some important goals
Arsenal need a holding midfielder, I'll drive him down for you
Old 12 December 2015, 05:51 PM
elgassi
Scooby Regular

I've been lying under the P1 all day removing brackets for painting and applying stone chip to the underside.
I've been counting the hours down to the start of the game
time arrives, so I turn sky on, game starts, go to the toilet, come back
1-0 down
unbelievable - still plenty of time..................I hope, for us to score and not them

full time - wish I'd stayed under the car .......shambles

Last edited by elgassi; 12 December 2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12 December 2015, 11:56 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

yep, should have stayed under the car. Shyte performance by MUFC

Quick Reply: The 2015-2016 Manchester United Thread