Sport General sport discussion

The 2015-2016 Manchester United Thread

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2015, 11:26 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 154 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
I know but as i said he needs time, hes been stuck in midfeild for ages, its going to take time for him to get use to being up front, keeps dropping deep.

As i said Falcoa was used all last season and he was rubbish, Rooney deserves same chance. I think if they don't sell De gea, make him sit on bench the whole season. If he doesnt want to ply for Man u.
I appreciate what your saying but i don't share your view, Rooney is a natural striker, that's his position unlike a midfielder switching to a strikers role Rooney shouldn't have that problem as it's his natural position. He scored a hatrick in midweek albeit against a very poor team, it didn't take him time to settle into the strikers role in that game.

For someone on an estimated £300,000 per week his first touch can be pretty poor, technically he is nowhere near as good as the best strikers in the world. He shows brilliance occasionally but that's very few and far between, since he signed for United he's gone on these long runs without goals, if your competing for titles you can't carry strikers like that especially when your playing one up front.

As an example, how better a team would United be with someone like Neymar, Muller or Messi up front instead of Rooney ? Those are on similar wages.

English players are nowhere near as good technically as the players from the leading countries in the world, just look how we get embarrassed at tournaments.

United need a clearout and to go in another direction, the direction United fans want is to revert back to the free flowing football that the club has always been known for. Sorry but that isn't going to happen under LVG, i'm not even sure what his style or philosophy is but one thing is for sure, watching one of his teams play is pretty dull and predictable hence why the opposition are quickly working United out.
Old 31 August 2015, 12:06 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I see what your saying. And there is strikers out there that are better, all i was saying is that they played Falcao for ages and he scored next to nothing, Rooneys had a few games and scored 4 i think. So i wouldn't write him off just yet.

The thing is with Rooney is he's nothing like Neymar or Messi. Top strikers normally spend most of there time up front. And wait for there team to supply them with the ball. Rooney doesn't do that, he will drop back win the ball then start off the attack. He works his *** off, you watch where most of his touches are, in midfield. Ends up having to get the ball himself sometimes. I think he finds it hard just sitting up front waiting for the ball which alot of strikers do. That could be because he's been in midfield to long.

Technically i'd agree that alot of European players seem to be more Technically minded. But saying that alot of them struggle in the premiership. Look at Di maria he couldn't hack it.

As for Van gaal, i've not a clue what hes doing either. Think he needs to play fast pace wingers, he has Depay and Young. Although Depay was flat yesterday.
Old 31 August 2015, 12:36 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Read this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34104415

Then this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34107092

8 goals in 31 games is hardly prolific in a weak league, if that isn't a panick buy then i don't know what his as all the striker targets that United were chasing didn't want to come to Old Trafford for one reason or another then this appears out of the blue.
Old 31 August 2015, 02:22 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow - 36 million.
Old 31 August 2015, 03:15 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

only a million more than Andy Carroll (although that's was a few years ago)
Old 31 August 2015, 03:49 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah that does seem an odd choice for a splurge of £36.6m

Really beginning to think I could do a better job of wasting United' millions than LVG and Woodward have been doing.
Old 31 August 2015, 04:06 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
Really beginning to think I could do a better job of wasting United' millions than LVG and Woodward have been doing.
I've no doubt that you probably could.

The priorities this season in this order were:

1. If De Gae was to leave then we needed to sign a top replacement.
(Not achieved)

2. A top class central defender
(Not achieved)

3. A top quality striker that's champions league proven.
(Not achieved)

4. A top class central midfielder that can create openings for the strikers, has pace and can beat a man. (Not achieved)

5. A right back. (Achieved)

He signs 2 defensive midfielders that play in the same position as Carrick, one past his best and one that looks to be very good in Schneiderlin. Depay looks to have potential but he's far from the finished product, United need players that are ready out of the box as they can't really afford to stand still and wait for players to fulfil their potential, the same goes with this new signing Martial, he's far from the finished article if you read some of his past managers comments.

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 31 August 2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 31 August 2015, 05:40 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day Ferguson, didn't spend half of what Van Gaal has. And to be fair most of the time the squad wasn't the best. But they still did well.

On match of the day it was showing how Swansea's manger was good at buying players in, at either a bargain price or free. Thats what Ferguson did, but he also had money aswell.

Van Gaal is attempting to do what Chelsea and Manchester city are doing which is throw money at the problem. Which to be honest isn't what its all about. Bringing up players from youth squad is one way, not sure why Wilson wasn't played he's scored plenty of goals when he's been bought on.

And not sure why players aren't wanting to come to Man u. Probably getting offered better deals with other clubs, or think other clubs stand a better chance of winning the title.
Old 31 August 2015, 08:37 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Deal done for De Gea with Navas going the other way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34108093
Old 31 August 2015, 08:40 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Hernandez gone too: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34108233

Plus Januzaj to Dortmund on loan. Lindegaard signed a two-year deal with West Brom.

Busy day.
Old 31 August 2015, 08:55 PM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless we pull off a big signing or two tomorrow this is going to be a very long season!
Old 31 August 2015, 10:48 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Default The 2015-2016 Manchester United Thread

Glad Januzaj gone, as he's way to soft on the ball.
Old 01 September 2015, 08:22 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sprigeteer
Deal done for De Gea with Navas going the other way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34108093
Not so fast, probably going to have to wait until January now
Old 01 September 2015, 08:32 AM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

What a mess . . . we can't even sell 'em now.
Old 01 September 2015, 08:46 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

The whole DeGea transfer is a joke.
Regardless of who is to blame, why wait until the last bloody minute?
And signing a kid for 36 million, who the ****'s calling that, Woodward or LVG?
Old 01 September 2015, 10:21 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Not so fast, probably going to have to wait until January now
Real Madrid won't bid for him in January because they can get him for free in the summer, he'll either be at United until next summer or the Spanish FA
need to back down and let the transfer go through now. I'd be surprised if the latter happened as they have never done it before in similar circumstances with other players.
Old 02 September 2015, 09:01 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Fe...-transfer.aspx

Now Real Madrid. What have you got to say
Old 02 September 2015, 12:13 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

I hope i get proved wrong but i think LVG could put Man United back years, look at his signings so far, the failures and the getting players backs up with his it's my way or no way approach.

He has a history of upsetting big name players, coaches and directors.

So far at United he's caused a rift with RVP, Victor Valdes and United's player of the year David De Gae, that's in a short space of time.

No wonder the players arn't playing with a smile on their faces or playing with confidence, would you if you had to come in to work each day and he was your boss ?
Old 03 September 2015, 08:51 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

I suspect your right sadly.

He's pissed off many a player so far.
Di Maria, Rojo, Hernandez, Valdes, RVP, DeGea

Whereas take Ferguson for example, I don't know what he said to the players, but they all busted a gut to play for that man
Old 03 September 2015, 04:02 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

And Alex Ferguson didn't?

Of the top of my head Ferguson fell out with beckham and we lost him, he fell out with jap stam, who United needed, but due to Ferguson's pride he didn't like players bigger than himself. And got rid of anyone who disagreed with him. Even Ferguson admited he regretted getting rid of jap stam. Beckham said he apologised to Alex and said he wanted to sort things out, but once you cross Alex theres no going back.

Originally Posted by The Joshua Tree
I hope i get proved wrong but i think LVG could put Man United back years, look at his signings so far, the failures and the getting players backs up with his it's my way or no way approach.

He has a history of upsetting big name players, coaches and directors.

So far at United he's caused a rift with RVP, Victor Valdes and United's player of the year David De Gae, that's in a short space of time.

No wonder the players arn't playing with a smile on their faces or playing with confidence, would you if you had to come in to work each day and he was your boss ?

Last edited by jaygsi; 03 September 2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03 September 2015, 04:25 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
And Alex Ferguson didn't?

Of the top of my head Ferguson fell out with beckham and we lost him, he fell out with jap stam, who United needed, but due to Ferguson's pride he didn't like players bigger than himself. And got rid of anyone who disagreed with him. Even Ferguson admited he regretted getting rid of jap stam. Beckham said he apologised to Alex and said he wanted to sort things out, but once you cross Alex theres no going back.
It's hardly comparable, Alex Ferguson was at Manchester United for 27 years and in that sort of timescale your bound to have the odd few disagreements with players where you don't see eye to eye. Beckham was justified as he was leading too much of a show biz lifestyle at the time mainly because of his Mrs and the focus had gone from his football, that was quickly sorted out.

LVG has been here 5 minutes and look at the list of players he's upset already, his got a track record of it, he just doesn't upset top players he upsets directors, other managers as well as the media.

Fergie's record speaks for itself as well as the style of football that United played under him, he got the best out of players. Watching United play now is dull and boring in comparison.

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 03 September 2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03 September 2015, 10:32 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Hasn't Van gall got a good record? Don't know much about what hes a complicated in the past. Only time will tell, if he does poorly this year i'm sure he will be out.
Old 11 September 2015, 03:25 PM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

United returned the favour for the Ramos situation then? Agents having a field day!

Glad he's staying as you need world class players in key positions like that to even think about challenging for the league. Not saying the rest of the team is quite good enough yet but at least it gives us some backbone for a few years to build on
Old 11 September 2015, 04:48 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

De Gea has a new 4 year contract
Old 11 September 2015, 05:03 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty standard tactic to negotiate a bigger fee at the next transfer window tbh. Same happened with Ronaldo/Bale/Modric/Suarez.

At least get decent service out of him until he goes. We'll be doing the same with Lloris......
Old 11 September 2015, 06:31 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is my What's App being hacked ??

My eldest son and I are always chatting footy and United on Whats App

two instances of conversations we've had in the past 2 months.....

1: With regards to the way RM go about destabilising a player, "we should keep De Gea, give him a new contract but promise to let him go next season if RM pay £40m.

Well blow me he's signed, will be interesting because both he and Mendes are seriously pi5sed with RM about the way they conducted their approach for him only for them to submit a bid with 6 hours of the window left, if they'd wanted him that much they would have paid £30m once the window opened, well that's reportedly De Gea's thinking.

2: 31/8/15 after discussing what would happen when LVG leaves - "Gary Neville, Phil Neville, Nicky Butt as coaches, Giggsy as Manager and Paul Scholes as the genius tactical guru with the game plan and the Godfather Fergie on the end of the phone should they need advice"

Read this in the Telegraph 3 days ago......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...assistant.html
Old 13 September 2015, 03:35 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Boring first half yesterday. Fellaini up front - ***** sake LVG, stop that

Young lad got a wee bit of good fortune I know, but great finish still.
Fantastic move for the first goal, lets have more of that please.
Old 13 September 2015, 03:41 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Genuine striker needed - a Mark Hughes type figure to add a genuine threat. Fellaini will do a job but he has the touch of a centre back in tight situations. But, the results are coming and this is half the battle.
Old 14 September 2015, 01:26 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just seen this and had me in stitches. Scousers do have a sense of humour:

https://www.facebook.com/ynfathehub/videos/901794599857436/
Old 14 September 2015, 01:52 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Very good, very funny indeed.

Quick Reply: The 2015-2016 Manchester United Thread