Notices

Preparing house for my STI

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2016, 12:02 AM
DanGlennon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preparing house for my STI

Long story short. I live on a council estate. I've lived here for years, get on well with all my neighbours and have never had any trouble since we moved in. It's actually the best house we've ever had.
Anyway, you can never be too careful and I'd like to take some extra precautions to prepare my home for when I buy my new Scooby. It will be on a drive behind iron gates that will be locked every night. I planned to install a CCTV system pointing at the car and surrounding area. Nothing too expensive or fancy, just a setup to ensure that if anything happened I'd have a clear picture of whoever did it.
I also planned to put two heavy duty padlocks on my gate at night. However, all the locks that I've looked at, no matter how expensive, still seem to have the same thickness of bolt.

So, can anyone help me out on this? Any CCTV systems you can recommend? I want one that is wired into a box, into my telly and that can record all the time. Also the locks for my gate, what can you recommend? Wrapping a chain around and locking it or is there a better method?
I've never had any problems with my previous cars or my home in general but I'm not taking any chances. Another question I'd like to know. Can I put a sign up somewhere warning people that CCTV is in use or is that too far?

Thanks!
Old 17 October 2016, 12:54 AM
poffer1
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do fit some decent padlocks, sort the gate hinges out too - Thieves often don't bother with the locks, they just pop the gates off their hinges.
Old 17 October 2016, 01:31 AM
DanGlennon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by poffer1
If you do fit some decent padlocks, sort the gate hinges out too - Thieves often don't bother with the locks, they just pop the gates off their hinges.
Good point. Didn't even think about that! Thanks for the info, big help
Old 17 October 2016, 07:17 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't bother, if thieves decide they want your car then they are going to get it by hook or by crook (pun intended)

Save your money and just make sure the keys are in plain sight near the front door, that way any really dodgy buggers won't be coming upstairs to mess with your family for the keys while you're asleep.

Or just buy a big nasty looking dog.
Old 09 November 2016, 03:58 PM
AP3491
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I wouldn't bother, if thieves decide they want your car then they are going to get it by hook or by crook (pun intended)

Save your money and just make sure the keys are in plain sight near the front door, that way any really dodgy buggers won't be coming upstairs to mess with your family for the keys while you're asleep.

Or just buy a big nasty looking dog.

anything that would draw thieves into you house and put your family in jeopardy is not worth having, however this should not be the case you should be able to have nice things and sleep well at night without the use of cctv and other measures, this is the world we are living in i am afraid

buy a gun practive on moving targets at a range and im sure you will keep your subaru just fine
Old 09 November 2016, 04:52 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I have to agree with above, if thieves want something that bad they will get it, if they can't get into your garden etc then they will just jack you when you come home or follow you etc and jack you then.
Also the keeping family safe situation, leave keys downstairs visible if they come in, that what insurance is for after all.
A nice dog is a good deterrent to keeping your home and family safe.
Old 14 November 2016, 12:47 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Alsatian /Rottweilers ae very good deterrents!
Old 14 November 2016, 02:10 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Webster
Alsatian /Rottweilers ae very good deterrents!
I'd have both of these instead bro but my high fence/gates has done a good job so far I've had an English pitbull such lovely kind dogs

Old 14 November 2016, 03:34 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I wouldn't bother. They just bring screwdrivers and unscrewed all the padlocked gates round our area. I ended up filling all my screw heads with JB weld so they couldn't get them off.
Old 14 November 2016, 05:29 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZANY
I'd have both of these instead bro but my high fence/gates has done a good job so far I've had an English pitbull such lovely kind dogs

haha nice pic Zany!
Old 20 November 2016, 07:51 PM
big-kev
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

for all your security needs and much more lol !
www.gundeal.co.uk
Old 21 November 2016, 07:49 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by big-kev
for all your security needs and much more lol !
www.gundeal.co.uk
only ever used a cosh/bat !! a gun bro is extreme!!
Old 21 November 2016, 06:12 PM
big-kev
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZANY
only ever used a cosh/bat !! a gun bro is extreme!!
it was a joke
Old 22 November 2016, 07:15 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by big-kev
it was a joke
U funny guy
Old 22 November 2016, 09:02 AM
Yellow R
Scooby Regular

Council estate and a Subaru, Just warn the old folk down the local P.O before you get it, ok joke aside just get a tracker on it and proper insurance cover,
Old 14 December 2016, 03:41 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CCTV is only a deterrent, it wont stop your car getting stolen. Immobiliser is a must and a disklok steering wheel lock all adds time and hassle that will deter casual scum but maybe not the full time thieving ****e. Chains and padlocks are quite easy to get round, get a pro hasp with a shield for the padlock to stop them getting bolt croppers on the lock.
Disconnecting the cps will stop it being started and you will hear the engine being turned over if you're in the vicinity. Razor blades and fish hooks with some double sided tape work well but not so good if you are forgetful.

At the end of the day if they really want it they will break into your house and look for the keys so its up to you how many obstacles you want to put in their way. Another tip is to get an old Subaru key and leave it in the house where they can find it and hide the real set.
The best security I have is my two yappy dogs, no one walks up my driveway without them barking.

If they are willing to break into my house to take the keys they can have it. I don't want the family to be at risk and god knows what I would do to any one found breaking into my house.
Old 14 December 2016, 03:45 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

couple of these should do,