ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Puff's Afternoon @ Bedford Autodrome

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2001, 07:44 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

HI.......Puff yeah was there like you had a great day....Except when i was pushed off in my beloved Scoob......:MAD:.....If your the culprit who pushed me off.......Thanks.....Still no harm done except my pride, And I would like to say a massive thank you to everyone who made it such a great day.....Never been or seen anything like it and I'm still in the clouds.
Lets hope it's not too long before the next one. I would also like to say a big thank you to the guy driving the P1 for the ride of my life(something I will never forget) and to evryone at the track for making it such a great day.
Cheers.
Old 31 March 2001, 08:45 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Err - don't think I pushed anyone off - but please correct me if I did.

Very clean DGM 5Dr #36 with a towbar

There was an Sti that was trying too hard to catch me & span behind me

Old 31 March 2001, 08:46 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hehehe nice one Puff

Well if you're gonna do it...............
Old 31 March 2001, 08:49 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

BTW, watching vid as I type !!

TVM,it is really good as always

DJ
Old 31 March 2001, 10:07 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Stef is on the case Puff (and Doc, see other post).

I initially thought the prices for the venue were a bit high, but having seen the facilities and experienced their organisation/customer care, it is worth every penny.

As for the track we used, it was the South West layout. This is the instructors favourite, partly because it includes a slight left, severe right chicane followed immediately by a long left and long easy right. Fantastic pendulum swings, with the car sideways for probably 15 seconds, one way then the other. The Scoob's would take a 100m out of anything else there, through this series.

The way to overtake is to hold back and then power towards a car through a bend, passing after the exit. Nice to pass an RS4 with enough speed that he doesn't catch you up down a 1000m straight

I must take some cheap tyres/slicks next time. Running on 700 quids worth of 18" Pirelli Rosso's did dampen my enthusiasm to keep sliding, lap after lap

Awards... A toss up between Stef's excursion whilst learning the "flick" through the chicane (watched by 50 people) or Mark bottling the second half of the back chicane and consequently running along side me for 100m, me on the track him on the grass... or was it Mo (Zac) for the longest "on power" slides past the pits, EVERY lap.

Nah... It was Rob Mac eventually spinning a P1, after leaving what must be the longest set "darkies" I have ever seen on a track. Well over 100m of 4 continuous black lines

As it got darker (we drove until 8pm), it was great driving down the back straight and watching the imprezas pop blue flames out on gear changes, ahead of you. Also seeing the glowing discs of the cars on the track (its a *very* hard circuit on brakes).

This must be the worlds finest Petrol Playground.

Old 31 March 2001, 11:43 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Yeah - I know, but it is expected now!

Was very fortunate to get a place @ the Autocar Subaru Track event at Jonathan Palmer's awesome facilities @ Bedford Autodrome

Concept was that 40 track places were available for driving between 16.45 & 19.45 in 20 min sessions. To add spice to this, Subaru UK kindly donated some toys for us to enjoy, in the form of a P1 & 2x new MY01 WRXs

We arrived around 15.00 to be meeted & greeted with coffee & registration. it was great to see some familiar faces there, DocJock, Pete Croney, Stef & to meet some new BBSers, Zak & phil ng. Surprisingly, there were more than a few scoobs Probably around 15, inc a 22b Type UK, P1s, 5 Wagons ( ) Sti & a MY01 (Y reg!). To mix it up with there were all sorts inc Golf GTi (Turbo?) R340, F355, ST2000, Exige, Seat Toledo, various BMW saloons, Civic Type R & a bright yellow Ford Puma!

After initial stuff, we then had a brief tour of the JP Audi facility, aided by two very knowledgeable & obviously keen chaps, who breathed single seat racing! Quite an amazing facility with Alcon 4 potters just lying around... Noticed they had some scoobs in a corner as well, but they didn't talk about these...

Then it was track briefing & off to the pits for a sighting session

We were led out to eye up the track & what a track 2.8 miles with 14 corners & some quite long straights. Also virtually dead flat with <I>massive</I> run-off areas ('cept at turn 8 which came after a particularly fast series of bends ). It is obviously a very fast track, which suits cars with more power than PTMW! but is also quite hard on the brakes as the higher speeds generate more wear. Oh & it also runs anti-clockwise!

Then it was onto track time

Maximum amount of cars on track was 20, in 2 sessions, so you wouldn't get to mix it with all the cars there & depending when you got out, then there may've been no-one to play with

I won't bore everyone with a list of all the cars I overtook ( ) but suffice to say there were quite a few. Best fun was the Ferrari who completely wazzed me on the straights then seemed to brake early & tip-toe through the corners! This meant that it was bye-bye in the straights & how many scratches in your bumper in the wiggly bits We had one session with the 22b leading, 355 then me, for 4 laps or so. I was hoping Ferrari could take the 22b so that I could have a go at the 22b but he couldn't (or wouldn't ). Result was an excellent 5-10 mins brought to a close by the end of the session

Everyone got the chance to drive, & be driven by an Instructor, in one of the Subaru UK supplied cars. When my time came, I chose the new WRX (partly because RobMac was in the P1 ) & went out for a play. Had a nice laid-back Irish instructor with me (sorry - can't remember your name) & he began to show me the lines. The cars provided were as FHI built & totally standard, so it was a good comparison against PTMW! (albeit a 4dr ). Bearing in mind the brake & suspension mods to PTMW!, the WRX handled very well. No u/steer was noticable, infact very neutral handling. It was definately quieter & prehaps that detracted from the sensation of speed slightly, definately less raucous is how I'd put it. It also felt slower, but I have got mods so that might be slightly unfair. Only 115-120 down the back straight compared to 125-130. Then the instructor gave a quick demo (& with total respect to him as a driver, 'cos he had it slipping & sliding at will ) was not able to o/take a Legacy RSK, which PTMW! was able to quite easily. Not conclusive I know, but possibly the car but possibly because the instructor wanted to show me the Autodrome sideways However, the car was definately a scooby & that I think counts for more Roll on the STi Wagons...

Track time all to soon came to an end but it was agreed by all I spoke to that if was a brilliant venue for scoobs, so I'm hoping that the SIDC will soon make an appearance there in force I'll be there

There followed a meal & a chance to wind down before we wended our wary ways - oh what a day

I have got to say that the whole event was just so well organised and I would offer my thanks to all that made it so. Particularly Autocar for getting it together in the first place, a fine concept & one that worked brilliantly Subaru UK for getting involved & providing some toys Prehaps this is the start of a welcome association between Subaru UK & the SIDC?? Hope so. To all at Palmersport - everyone tried so hard to make it an enjoyable day for the participants & it worked Many Thanks Finally to Liz, for putting up with my phone calls & emails - an extra big hug

If you get the chance to go on one of these Autocar days - do it. If & when the SIDC track day comes up - take the chance

[This message has been edited by Puff The Magic Wagon! (edited 31 March 2001).]
Old 31 March 2001, 01:09 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Cool

Bugger wish i could have gone, would have enjoyed going on track with another Civic Type R, was he quick ???

Glad you all had a top day, i really want to try that facility out, as i have heard lots of good comments.

Matt
Old 31 March 2001, 01:25 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Matt

Get on the phone quick mate. They are doing a Honda day !!!

01403 733999 ask for Liz
email enquiries@palmersport.com
Old 31 March 2001, 04:55 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sent an email today. Couldnt get through on the phone will try Monday.

Cheers DJ, are you allowed to use slicks ?
It would be nice to compare my car to similar Type R's.
Old 31 March 2001, 05:06 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

I can't help but feel that these topics would be better received if they were all one general topic, rather than 'My Day Out..' ,but Ho Hum!
Anyway, it was a truly top afternoon. Despite my initial concerns for CK1's fitness, it perfomed very admirably. The track suits Scoobs down to the ground, despite the long straights. At the end of the longest one I was bouncing off the rev-lmiter in 4th for a couple of seconds before braking, that's 135mph!!
As Pete says, the way to go was to hold back and catapult past the faster cars on the exit. The Porsche driver in particluar was not a happy chappy!
As my confidence grew, so to did my willingness to get CK1 sideways. There is run-off everywhere and every bend is just begging to be slid round, so they were! I had my habitual off at one of the chicanes whilst trying to attempt a double-flick-type-thingy, but where would a day be without it?
The track is simply lush, and I don't normally like flat circuits. The SIDC is gonna be back there very soon for a similar evening event, so keep your ears to the ground cos the places will go like hot cakes.

Stef.

Old 31 March 2001, 05:46 PM
ALANB
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just to add my tuppence.
If the SIDC do this track, morgage your granny to get there. It's the best of both worlds, tricky corners but loads of run-off for waaay-hey evilness, the one at the end of the long straight way my favorite, one for complete hooligans.
Nobody mentioned the goodies, the lairy subaru tie, Autocar, Autocar mug and best of all the die-cast model of Burnsies motor, class.
P.S. Had a right result on the way home, got stunk behind a copper in some really nice twisties, he comes up behind a slow ambulance with a frustrated driver stuck to his bumper, so close he could never see if it was clear, I'm thinking "I bet he will shortly be regretting his decision" and sure enough on go the lights, all three pull over and I'm away, I'm not one to laugh at someone else's misfortune but I did have a big smile!
Old 31 March 2001, 06:27 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Alan.
Good point about the goodies. The model in particular was a most welcome surprise.
The whole day was fantastically organised, and the grub at the end was lush! We'll have something similar I'm sure.
It won't be too far away, that I can tell you...

Stef.
Old 31 March 2001, 07:35 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

JP's scoobys are for the corporate days and are used on a smaller circuit. They are standard apart from better pads as they go through two sets in one day. Excellent fun with plenty of run off. Also played in a Integra R, big grin when I let it go with 6k rpm on the clock. Track was fog bound so we had to rely on the instructors. Very strange powering out of a corner when you can not see a thing. After half a day it was called off due to bad weather so hopefully get another go when the weather gets better. All
the guys I spoke to said they liked the scooby the best with the type R a close second.

Si
Old 02 April 2001, 01:57 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Thumbs up

Just 2 add 2 everyone else's comments.

Great facilities, great track despite it being flat and a perfect place to perfect those lairy driving styles....

Only one turf trimming moment, I tried to power slide Mo through the chicane at the end of the 1km straight......great power slide left, lift - right - back on, start to slide...even further right.....cant stop it spinning!!!.....into the grass coming to a stop with a foot square piece of turf on the bonnet (I did replace it!)

Only gripe I had all day was track etiquette of a couple of drivers... I was held up on two occasions by cars that seemed to have similar performance. Eventually they indicated and moved aside but carried on accelerating at full bore, leaving me off the racing line and bug###ing the bend completely.

Please guys (or girls for that matter) a momentary lift of the throttle is all that is needed to let people in my situation pass safely. Other than that a fab day.

Nice one to the black golf (TT engine under the hood I believe) and thanks to the guy in the red Porsche, we had a couple of good laps together although I couldn't get passed him. My brakes are standard 4-pots which on a track like this gave up after the first chicane, causing me to coast up to the rest of the bends........ummmmm, time to look at getting some bigger ones me thinks..

And thanks to Rob, for showing me how to balance the car properly and showing me the meaning of great car control...
Old 02 April 2001, 04:03 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Does anyone know who the photographer was?
Old 02 April 2001, 04:10 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

There were 2...

There was the young chap with all the lenses who was taking photos all day & he was from Autocar. I'm not sure if any of those pics might be available, as I did ask & he replied in the negative.

2nd was <I>ME</I> I managed to blag a roll of film, but mainly of the 1st 20 cars group, tho' there is some cross-polination (Stef & PC & others). Those pics that I have will be put up on
Old 03 April 2001, 10:07 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Hmmm...

That you Mo?

& a couple more of others...

& there's more

[This message has been edited by Puff The Magic Wagon! (edited 03 April 2001).]
Old 03 April 2001, 10:35 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Heree's a couple...

Old 04 April 2001, 10:49 AM
Liz Bushnell
Scooby Newbie

Finally I think I have managed to work out how to post a comment on your forum!!!

Liz from PalmerSport here (the one who took all your calls and did her best to organise what turned out to be a fantastic event.)

I was over the moon to see that you all had such a great time. The raving reviews you gave the event are greatly appreciated. I managed to get about three photos in total before my film ran out (how was I to know it was a 24, not 36!) so I'll make sure that I post them here if they come out ok.

I am sure that you will all be pleased to hear that on Saturday (unfortunately a day too late for you to see it) my brother became the very proud owner of a UK spec Subaru Impreza Turbo in silver with racy looking gold wheels! He is over the moon and has been cleaning it ever since. It was a shame he came to pick it up the day after your event because he would have loved to see your cars but he did have a great day on Saturday and took me for a quick spin (not literally). Being 23 his friends are green with envy and he has been smiling ever since he got it.

For your reference (Peter/Stef) he is interested in becoming a member of SIDC and I would be grateful if you could advise me as to how he can do so.

Anyway, back to your event. I’d like to thank you for being such a fantastic bunch of people to deal with. It was lovely to meet you all and I really hope to be seeing you all again. I will be in touch, if Stef and Peter don’t get there first, to get you all back to Bedford Autodrome.

I have just seen the photos that James sent (thanks James). There were some awesome cars at the event. Are they are all running all right now? I hope that you all had as an enjoyable time as I did. It was nice to see so many smiling faces.

Thank you all for being so co-operative and friendly. You made it a fantastic day and it and it was nice to meet so many enthusiasts.

If any of you have any queries regarding further events at Bedford Autodrome please feel free to contact me (not a sales pitch, I promise).

James – Keep your emails coming. I’m glad we got you a place on the event; I don’t think I could have coped with disappointed emails!

Stef – Hope to be dealing with you again in the future.

Peter – How do I make my brother a member?

Thanks again, for all your support and enthusiasm!

Love from Liz
Old 04 April 2001, 10:57 AM
RobMac
Scooby Regular

Liz,

Get my mobile number from someone in the office (Jon Tait etc., or any of the staff at BA) and give me a ring. I can tell you how to get SIDC membership.

I asked via this BBS a year ago whether anyone wanted to do a trackday at BA, but NO-ONE replied!! Obviously you have more persuasive ways about you!!

Remember, the SIDC needs it's chief (only!) instructor there on any future events!!

See ya soon,

Rob.

Old 04 April 2001, 01:02 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Liz.
Very kind words indeed, thanks very much.
We'll sort out your brother's membership, no probs.

Rob.

The wheels are in motion peeps, there will be an announcement of an SIDC event at Bedford very soon.

Stef.