Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Community > ScoobyNet General
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 16 February 2011, 07:35 PM   #1
gino
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (0)
Default Low battery setting off alarm?

I've been told that my factory-fitted alarm, (03 wrx), is going off radomly at night beacause my battery is low due to me not using the car often..............can this be?????

Thanks
gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2011, 07:42 PM   #2
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (5)

not necessarily, could be the internal sensors (if you have them of course) reacting to temperature changes etc. I have a cobra system and during the cold spells, disable the internal sensors and no more hassle, battery was never low either.

If your car will start after the alarm going off, its not the battery.
brendy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2011, 07:51 PM   #3
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Trader Score: (2)
This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.

I had that happen years ago on my Cossie. seems as the battery wasn't holding its charge, the alarm was sensing a voltage drop, similar to the courtesy light coming on when door is opened. Get your battery checked, its free at many places. If that don't fix it, look elsewhere.
s70rjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2011, 08:01 PM   #4
scoobydog63
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (4)

Had this happen on my MY03 but only on start up. It would just go off briefly every now and then when I started it up.
scoobydog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2011, 08:06 PM   #5
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydog63 View Post
Had this happen on my MY03 but only on start up. It would just go off briefly every now and then when I started it up.
Was it just a chirp at start up?
Old 16 February 2011, 08:11 PM   #6
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (1)

Put your sidelights on when driving it even in the day ,they have smartcharge i used to have my03 do that then stopped after a long drive with sidelights on,never had a problem after that
zs_phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2011, 08:21 PM   #7
Wilky_Boy
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zs_phil View Post
Put your sidelights on when driving it even in the day ,they have smartcharge i used to have my03 do that then stopped after a long drive with sidelights on,never had a problem after that
The man's right ! Had the same prob with the alarm on my 04 WRX, and someone suggested running with my side lights on. It put enough charge into the battery and I had no further problems.
Wilky_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2011, 08:25 PM   #8
kewe
Scooby Regular

Is it also true the sidelights/lights go off when you leave the car on these models so the battery won't discharge. Found it a bit strange there is no warning sound or display on the dash to show lights are on or left on when exiting the car?
kewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2011, 08:30 PM   #9
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Lights go off with the ignition. Parking light switch on top of the steering column cowling
Old 16 February 2011, 08:51 PM   #10
stu turbo 98
scooby serial killer

Trader Score: (6)
scoobyblues

your alarm will go off when battery is low,both of mine do it,its due to the voltage sensor detecting the drop.
stu turbo 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2011, 08:58 PM   #11
silverscooby09
Scooby Regular

mine did the same got to the point were I fitted a new battery was ok for a few months but come back now and again - keep meaning to take it to the garage to check which sensor is setting it off but never get the time always more important things to tinker with.
silverscooby09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2011, 09:18 PM   #12
kewe
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by s70rjw View Post
Lights go off with the ignition. Parking light switch on top of the steering column cowling
kewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2011, 10:13 PM   #13
wr pete
Scooby Regular

as above. This is normal when car battery gets low on charge, mine does it all the time. if i dont put a charger on every few weeks to keep the battery topped up.
wr pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2011, 10:14 PM   #14
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu turbo 98 View Post
your alarm will go off when battery is low,both of mine do it,its due to the voltage sensor detecting the drop.
Same as mine

Last edited by bugeyejohn; 16 February 2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: cant spill lol
bugeyejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2011, 10:14 PM

Tags
alarm, bad, battery, car, classic, disconnecting, low, off, problems, scooby, set, seting, setting, subaru, wrx