A Very Close Call!

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2002, 12:49 AM
markpm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi all,

Not been on for a while, but thought I'd share details of an extremely close shave I had in the Scoob today!
I took a work collegue out for a blat after work tonight. This guy is a bit of a car nut, but had never been in a Scoob before so.....!

We were going down a narrow country lane (Hmmm I can hear the uh-oh's already!) and I was being a little, shall we say, over enthusiastic for the type of road etc!
When all of a sudden we came over a small crest, saw a slight right hander, and a large white van!!

Well, first instinct was to jam on and much swearing and filling of pants ensued as I suddenly remembered that older Scoobs dont have ABS!! (94 WRX)
So, there we were, locked up, snaking down this road towards a rather bemused van driver. It was then that I was glad of all the time Ive spent playing the Colin McRae rally game, as I tried to decide between van or hedge.
Deciding that the hedge was probably the better option of the two, I tried to control the sliding beast in between the two, with a little more emphasis on hedge!
And I did it too!
Well, almost.

I managed to get away with a few "nice" scratches on the passenger side front bumper from rocks sticking out of the hedge, which Im not too pleased with, but it could have been SO MUCH worse...

Never the less, my passenger seemed to think it was a good wheeze anyway!

It was just a good job I wasnt doing any more than 40 and the van driver stopped almost instantly too.
If circumstances were only slightly different, I could have had a VERY crumpled Scoob tonight, and I think I would have cried....LOTS!

So, the moral is kids, take it easy on those narrow country roads.
I normally do, but having the mate in with you, is always a killer.
You know you shouldnt, but you always push it that little bit further....

A very relieved Scoob owner...
Old 29 March 2002, 05:52 PM
yoza
BANNED

Wink

There endeth the lesson,till next time.Its always the way when your trying to impress you over do it and end up impressing no one and s**ting your self,which isnt very cool at all.But a dare say weve all done it.He will be in work next week telling everyone how much of a shadey jockey you are so be prepared!Tell them you meant to do it and thats how you always drive,that usually works,and then youll just be known as a psyco as opposed to a bad jockey.
Old 30 March 2002, 12:05 AM
markpm
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hmmm, my passenger DID complement me on my driving at the time actually. He said that he would have probably ended up embedded in the front of the van if it was him driving!
So no doubt, I'll get the "Psycho" taunts back at work on Tuesday!

Ah well, its been and gone now, and I managed to get MOST of the scratches out today with a bit of T-Cut and elbow grease.
I then decided that I should wax the whole car as a token of thanks / apology for yesterdays events!

3hrs later (!) and I have a shiny, but slightly scratched motor...

Cheers for the reply...

Mark...
Old 30 March 2002, 12:14 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

@ the risk of soundin like a no it all it sounds like the problem was u didnt no how far u kud push it?
I cant complain too much as i lost it a while back but have since got new tyres so can now go so much further
Si
good luck but no yer limits chap
Old 30 March 2002, 11:28 AM
yoza
BANNED

Lightbulb

I dont know how deep your scratches are,but if they are only minor but lots of them empty the paint from a colour stick(touch up) onto a cloth and wipe it over the effected area rub it in liberally.It looks a mess right now but trust me,leave it to dry for half a hour.Then rub over the top with t-cut or g60 compound again on a cloth,and you will find that the paint will come off where you didnt want it to be,but will stay where the scratches were because it is submerged in the scratch,so therefore doesnt get buffed off!If you do this twice you can get the repair perfect.
Old 31 March 2002, 12:39 AM
markpm
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cool!
Cheers Yoza. I'll try that...
The scratches are quite deep. Actually down to the (black) plastic of the bumper in places.
I'll have to try and find a touch up stick in my colour...

Cheers
Mark...
Old 31 March 2002, 09:24 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hmm sounds quite tempting as i have a mild scratch & a tub of touch up paint (from subaru dealer) bit worried about just spreading all over da shop thou so just wanted 2 check is half an hour not a bit long? & T-cut is that the stuff where u have 2 pick a colour n all?
Ho hum paranoi cha cha cha
Si
Old 31 March 2002, 11:59 AM
yoza
BANNED

Red face

No,t-cut is in a red bottle product colour is tan brown,i think the stuff your on about is colour magic-different animal all together.As for leaving it for half an hour,no probs g60 or similar cutting compound just wazzes it off.