ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Water everywhere again...

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2001, 08:33 AM
Adan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roads flooded again....

As I queued to go through the shallowest bit my mind went back to the desert rally stage last year in the WRC (was it in Kenya??? - I forget). I remembered with some amusement how the scoob was fine through what was probably the only river for 100 miles. The Ford however did not make it. Amusing shots afterwards of water spraying out through the removed spark plug holes.

As a complete mechanical ninny how deep water could you drive a scoob through (slowly)? Since the scoop is on the top of the bonnet, is that the only air intake? Does that mean that water would have to be coming over the top of the engine to get in the air intake?

Also, when it was my turn to go through the flood a lorry came the other way and made me swerve into the deeper water. The lorry then sent a huge wave of water spraying over the bonnet and windscreen. Loads must have gone in through the scoop. But not even a cough or splutter. Where did the water go???

Adan
Old 13 February 2001, 08:40 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

The scoop on the bonnet is not the air intake - that's the intercooler inlet. The air inlet for induction purposes is inside the engine bay just behind the drivers side headlight.

You would have to be in pretty deep to submerge this however....

Matt.
Old 13 February 2001, 10:27 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Another danger is not keeping the revs up (or stalling) when driving through water which might let water up the exhaust pipe.
Old 13 February 2001, 11:50 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Talking

Isn't it that you shouldn't let the revs drop as the difference in pressures created will actually suck water into the zorst pipe.

There's a kiddies toy boat that works on the same principal (Keely's motor, I think).
Old 13 February 2001, 01:45 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

A Metro passed Carolyn yesterday with a bow wave running up over the bonnet!!!!

There are lots of vulnerable lower bits that people do not think about such as gearbox and diff breathers , turbo (thermal shock), starter motor, picking up debris in the belt pulleys and chucking a belt off etc.

Lots of floods round our way, and if I do not know how deep I do the following - drive into the water VERY slowly with the drivers door open (after making sure nobody coming the other way!!!). If the water comes up to the middle of the black plastic sill protector that's about 8-9" on a UK car and anough for me - I back out and find another way.

I am not going to risk a hydraulic lock and £3000 engine blowup just cos I am too lazy to find a way round it.

And IM/insurers are far too wise to treat this as a warranty claim or anything but negligence on the part of the driver.....

[This message has been edited by Dave T-S (edited 13 February 2001).]
Old 13 February 2001, 04:15 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

If it come up to the exhaust dont go throught it.

I was paddleing home yesterday when my 4X4 went through a the wave cleared my roof.
Old 13 February 2001, 04:36 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Dont let too much water or any water get up your tail pipe, once it hits that cat, booooom!!
bye bye cat it runs at some high temp so cold water aint going to do it or your car any good, nice on the intercooler thou, make your car go faster lol!!!

Tony
Old 13 February 2001, 04:47 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

.....it ain't gonna hurt our cats - they're in the garage roof where they belong!!!!
Old 13 February 2001, 05:18 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Question

On a serious note, are there issues for the owners who have removed their resonators??

I was looking to replace the resonator with a cold air feed pipe from MRT, but could water make it into the air inductor or further??!!!

Cheers
Andy