ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Travel advice sought....

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2001, 06:50 PM
Oz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I'm going to be relinquishing the North soon and heading off to work down in Surrey...

Now, the difference in house prices between Middlesbrough and Surrey really do have to be seen to be believed and so, it's looking like I'm going to have to live quite a way away from the Chertsey/Guildford area that I'm going be working in if I want something more than a shoebox....

So, I was looking at both Milton Keynes and Swindon. Both (according to Shell Geostar route planner) are about an hour away from the Chertsey/Guildford area but I was looking for some advice about congestion down South...

People tell me the M25 is the world's largest carpark. Is it stupid to even consider running from the M1 junction down to the Chertsey/Guildford junction (junction 10/11) on a daily basis or have people been exagerating?

Equally, is it possible to commute in from Swindon? The map route looks quite straightforward but I really don't trust it. ;-) Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer me some sound advice!

Cheers

Oz
Old 10 February 2001, 10:23 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Won't the extra petrol amount to a fair chunk of mortgage?

I did a rough calculation and reckon you'd be spending at least an extra 200 notes on fuel a month, and that's assuming your not doing it in a scoob!

Not to mention other running costs (tyres, wear and tear, depreciation, servicing etc etc).

Try looking at properties a bit further south of Guildford, once you get to Farnham and beyond the prices start to drop a bit, as it's starting to get a bit less appealing for London commuters.

Cheers

Simon

[This message has been edited by simes (edited 10 February 2001).]
Old 10 February 2001, 11:07 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Your mates must be travelling in something above ground to go that fast.
When I have the misfortune to do Northampton to Southampton for a morning meeting it takes me 2 hours to get to M3 junction on M25 (via M1)during rush hour. After that its treble figures all the way.
Do you want to do a house swap as Northampton area is becoming greater London?
Old 11 February 2001, 06:18 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Oz

I am currently working down in Surrey for 4 weeks and had the misfortune of using the M25 on Thursday morning. It took me 1 hour 10 minutes to get from Farnham (Hogs Back Jarvis)to Woking which is about a 15-20 mile trip.

If I were you I would take Simes advice on the houses further West.

Simon

PS I used to live in the Boro for 4 years as well - spooky!!
Old 11 February 2001, 06:34 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

No travel worries for me, I live literally two minutes from work! DW, you can't beat living in the sticks can you?
Bob
Old 11 February 2001, 07:15 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Dreamweaver

Was that going via guildford, if so why not go puttenham, wanborough, pirbright it's my daily drive and takes me anything between 8 and 30 minutes.

Oz

Like Simes says try farnham, godalming dare i say it woking (eeuucchhh )etc.

Si
Old 11 February 2001, 07:52 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Oz

Not an easy situation to resolve. The M25 is as bad as people say, unless you leave at crazy hour (i.e be off the M25 by 0630). I'm in a similar situation in that I start a new job in Slough tomorrow and my journey isn't going to be great and I need to work out a route that avoids the M25!!. I'm looking to move somewhere around Wokingham. If you want a good property site, have a look at
Old 11 February 2001, 07:57 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Cool

Chris, thats near my parental home That means lots of beers

R
Old 11 February 2001, 08:00 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

OZ,

First of all, I would set you straight on Milton Keynes house prices. The prices are in many cases higher than the surrounding area, and have been for some time.

The route south from MK is also a complete ****e. You can bank on being held up every morning between J11-8 on the M1, and then most of the way on the M25.

Until the recent unpleasantness on the trains I thought Neil M had it sussed, as he works in London and commutes from Stafford, where house prices are considerably less. However it all falls down when there are no trains, and you have to stay in hotels during the week.

Have a look on the on-line estate agents, and then pick the areas most feasable to commute from, although I would think that Swindon way would be a reasonable place to start.

Cheers

Josh
Old 11 February 2001, 09:41 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by BOB.T:
<B>No travel worries for me, I live literally two minutes from work! DW, you can't beat living in the sticks can you?
Bob[/quote]

Bob

You are right, does make it easier I do work in Rochdale though so still have a fair treck each day!! This is seriously affecting my choice of new car as well with fuel econ etc

Mr Cookie - i got lost on the journey as I only had to do it that day so not sure - think I did go through Guildford at one point though. I agree on Woking in most cases - odd place!!! Keep me in Lancs any day!!
Old 12 February 2001, 09:41 AM
Oz
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers for all the useful advice so far...it looks like Milton Keynes is well and truly off the list...just have to see how Swindon fares...
Old 12 February 2001, 10:14 AM
skipjack
Scooby Regular

oz

go west young man. i've had to do northampton to guildford for the last two mondays in succession. admittedly, there was a crash on the m25 first time and a tube strike to contend with on the second - which caused a 17 miles deep vein thrombosis - but the journey southbound took fours hours each time and the northbound return a mere two.

forget negotiating the m25, go for wiltshire.
Old 12 February 2001, 01:00 PM
church_monster
Scooby Regular

Question

OZ,

You wouldn't be going to work for EMC would you ???

It takes me 1 & 1/2 from jn 5 on A1M Herts to Chertsey via Jn 22 on M25, then onto Jn 11 Chertsey if I leave at 6:30 am in the morning, any later and your looking at about 3 hours.
Old 12 February 2001, 01:13 PM
church_monster
Scooby Regular

Question

OZ,

You wouldn't be going to work for EMC would you ???

It takes me 1 & 1/2 from jn 5 on A1M Herts to Chertsey via Jn 22 on M25, then onto Jn 11 Chertsey if I leave at 6:30 am in the morning, any later and your looking at about 3 hours.
Old 12 February 2001, 01:45 PM
Sonic Boom
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Oz,

Josh is right about Milton Keynes.

My Girlfriend lives nearby in Leighton Buzzard. If I travel to work in Staines from there in the morning, leaving at 7:30am you are looking at 2 hours minimum around the M25 (anticlockwise).

Guilford is a further 3 junctions round...

Done the M4 corridor route as well.. Swindon is quite a long way from Guilford. M4 towards London from about J8/9 or J7 is a pig in the morning as well.

As mentioned, you may want to try Farnham, or Chertsey, or Ottershaw/Addlestone. Somewhere near J10 of the M25.

Realistically, it is better to be travelling ANTI-CLOCKWISE between J7 to J13 of the M25 in the morning. Look around that area.

Sonic