Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Community > ScoobyNet General
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 21 June 2008, 20:32   #1
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (5)
Default Has anyone been to Southampton car auctions?

As title, just my friend said that apparently there is a car auction down there that deal in Jap imports. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of the place? If so do you need a deposit for entry etc?
timmy2take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2008, 19:27   #2
christianSTIV4
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (0)
Default Southampton auction

Hi
Yeah, it's called Motorway car auctions on gate 4 Southampton docks

MCA/LPA

I live about half an hour away and have been there loads of times. It used to be a dealer only auction but anyone can go and bid now.

There are pro's and cons but IMO buying from there is a bit of a mine field. You can sometimes get a decent car if you know what you are looking for but a lot of the time it is full of the **** that didn't/wouldn't sell at auction in Japan. I suppose 1 good thing is that if you get there early you can at least get to have a good look around the car with your own eyes and that could better than buying from a Jap auction house online.

You can certainly pick up a cheap motor but a lot of them are dogs and with what I now now I wouldn't recommend buying a car from there unless you go into with your eyes WIDE open. Saying that, some people are bound to disagree with me and they may be right. I know that a lot of people also slate Motorway. Best bet is go and have a look for yourself without bidding, see what you think.
I know of dealers who it give all the billy big bollocks about having a buying connection in Japan or say that they go on a buying trip over there every 6 months but I always see them them down the auctions buying grade 3 motors.

In my opinion it's risky

Christian
christianSTIV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2008, 20:07   #3
GC8
On the Edge~In the Hedge!

This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.

Id advise you to avoid docks auctions; the cars are sh*te.
GC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2008, 02:39   #4
SqeekyMclean
Scooby Regular

I have seen a couple of fresh imports and i have to say some dog of cars are being imported in currently.

Either Britain gets the junk or japs don't take care of their cars well.
SqeekyMclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2008, 11:47   #5
GC8

This is my Scooby.  To set up your own Scooby, go to your user cp, and click 'Edit Settings'.

All of the low grade crap from the domestic auctions ends up here in docks auctions. Its spammed up to the fullest, given a haircut and sold to the gullible or traders who simply do not care.
Old 23 June 2008, 21:07   #6
christianSTIV4
Scooby Regular

Yep, thats pretty much it.
christianSTIV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2008, 21:37   #7
craigwrx277
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (1)

what so they would make a good donour car?
craigwrx277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2008, 22:34   #8
GC8

No. Not unless you are donating steel to Chinas economic growth...
Old 23 June 2008, 22:34

Tags
auction, auctions, car, cars, dock, docks, import, jap, japanese, mca, motor, motorway, port, southampton