Court Summons tomorrow - Advice please

Old 12 September 2001, 05:20 PM
dela
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Background
----------
I sold a car back in June 2000, through the AutoTrader to a guy I didn't know.
I filled out the relevant parts of the V5 and gave to him to complete and post. 1st Mistake.

In Feb 2001 I get letters from the police saying this scally has been gatso'd and can I prove tell them who was driving. I reply saying I sold the car last year, go after the new owner please. I got two more of these nice letters, which I responded to in the same way. After all this, I get a letter from the DVLA asking me to verify I have sold the vehicle as someone is trying to re-register it. So I tell them the story.

Then low and behold, I get a summons and a mandatory court appearance for tomorrow as I have withheld info to who the driver was.
I'm going, losing out on earnings and travelling expenses just because some **** didn't send off the V5.

Anyone got similar experiences or advise, as I'm getting a little worried now.

cheers,
dela

(It feels pretty petty to be talking about these minor speed-bumps in life right now, yesterdays disaster gives a little perspective to these "problems")
Old 12 September 2001, 08:20 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Angry

Maybe you could draw the Court's attention to the recent news about the senior police officer who had his speeding ticket ripped up because he couldn't remember who'd been driving his car at the time of the offence

Hugh
Old 12 September 2001, 08:39 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Question

Dela

Presumably if you had the car up for sale you would have receipts etc from Autotrader.

Did you get a receipt or any other kind of paperwork from the car sale you could use to prove who the new keeper is ?

Take the letter from DVLA to court and present it to the 'Clerk' of the court, if you can prove you no longer are the owner/keeper then the case against you will be dropped.

DVLA may still get the **** as it is your responsibility to notify them who the new keeper is. If someone refuses to give there name on a car purchase I personally say no sale, for this very reason.

Cheers
Nathan..
Old 13 September 2001, 03:03 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Question

have you got any stuff from the insurers, like when you cancelled/changed the policy to a new car???