ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Who was driving

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2001, 02:10 PM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Neighbour has received NIP and cannot determine who was driving at the time a Gatso took a picture of his car. Both his wife and he drove past the camera that day and they can't decide who was speeding.
He has wrote back asking for photographic evidence to establish who was driving.
If the photo does not distinguish who was driving, what does he then do ?

Old 01 August 2001, 02:19 PM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Similar experience myself; photo turned out to be the rear of the car ( my best side ! ). When confronted they said that they would do the registered keeper if we did not nominate the driver. Road Traffic Act regs. they said, did consider contesting it but thought it would cost more in the end so gave in !

Cheers

Old 01 August 2001, 02:23 PM
Lushman
Scooby Regular

I presume the police would have an exact time when the photo was taken. this may be able to help you. otherwise nominate the person with the least amount of points.
Old 01 August 2001, 02:37 PM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

The time the photo was taken doesn't help as they both drove the car near to the time stated as the camera is a local one.
What he doesn't want to do is nominate his wife, and then find the police intend to prosecute him for providing the wrong driver details after they scrutinise the photo and find a female driving.
Old 01 August 2001, 02:40 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Lewegie:
<B>The time the photo was taken doesn't help as they both drove the car near to the time stated as the camera is a local one.
What he doesn't want to do is nominate his wife, and then find the police intend to prosecute him for providing the wrong driver details after they scrutinise the photo and find a female driving.[/quote]

How you can you tell who was driving from a photo of the rear of the car ??
Andyp

Old 01 August 2001, 02:43 PM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

I guess that some cars may permit enough view of the driver to determine if the driver is male or female, ie, long blonde hair - no offence to you guys out there with long blonde locks.
Old 01 August 2001, 02:47 PM
dustbin hoffman
Scooby Regular

I suggested this in a previous topic:
If the car was for sale and Joe Random was test driving it at the time, it would be impossible to nominate the driver. Would the police still try and prosecute the registered keeper?
Old 01 August 2001, 03:06 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Undoubtedly. There have been cases of groups of lads delivering cars for hire-car companies triggering Gatsos. When they refused to nominate who was driving the actual car in question, the police said that they'd prosecute all of them!
Old 01 August 2001, 03:09 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Police couldn't prosecute all of them, but would go after the Registered Keeper. It's the RK's responsibility to know who's driving the car at any time, or take the rap himself.

[Edited to cerroct mu crop spilling ]

[This message has been edited by HunterB (edited 01 August 2001).]
Old 01 August 2001, 03:19 PM
David 1982
Scooby Regular

Cool

Let your wife take the blame!

Seriously though, she should because it will affect your insurance premium less.

David
Old 01 August 2001, 03:24 PM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Wink

Tell them it was this French bloke who stayed with you for a few days as a bed and breakfast guest.

He paid in cash and his name was Jean something. You couldnt quite catch it.

There! youve provided them with the details and its up to them to find him!!

Otherwise try this, it wasnt me, I wasnt there. It must have been a car the same as mine with the same registration i.e. a stolen one on a false plate. It does happen and the police know it.

Good Luck
Old 01 August 2001, 03:24 PM
healeyb
Scooby Regular

I was under the impression that this is the only situation where you can get away with it. If you really don't know who was driving and they can't prove it, then there you go! It's probably a massive surprise to everyone but in this country you are presumed innocent until proven guilty. No kidding!
Old 01 August 2001, 03:40 PM
dustbin hoffman
Scooby Regular

Don't believe it!
Old 01 August 2001, 03:53 PM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Apologies !

Omitted to say that from the photo of the rear of the car it was impossible to tell IF there was a driver, nevermind identify their sex !

It was taken by a hidden mobile unit and was extremely clear / sharp with the date - time - speed printed on it.

Car was a Seat Ibiza.

I`ll bet they count on the vast majority of us confessing - like me !

Cheers

Old 01 August 2001, 04:35 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

James

Surely you must have an elderly relative that doesn't drive much these days

Richard Squire got some (plural) of these on the Network Q last year. Rich... what happened mate, was your boy driving ?

Old 02 August 2001, 07:57 AM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

I will keep you lot updated on the response to his letter.
Good point on some one test driving the car in view of posssibly selling it, however being a company car, don't think he should try that one.
I know a company who couldn't nominate the driver, resulting in £750 fine but no points.
They were told to keep a log to register who drives their company vehicles to ensure it didn't happen again.
Old 02 August 2001, 08:05 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

I've often wondered about the company thing.
As I understand it the company secretary gets the points and fine if the driver cannot be identified.

Since there is no requirement for a company secretary to be able to drive then, or even live in the UK then IN THEORY. One could set up a limited company for about a 100 quid, name a friend abroad(in the USA) as company secreraty and if a NIP comes through just say 'dunno who that was officer'

Seeing as the secreraty lives abroad and there are no points it' would IN THEORY be very unlikely to progress any further.

This mad idea was bought to you by the maker's of the deluxe pickled onion sandwich and slob-burger.

[This message has been edited by Neil Smalley (edited 02 August 2001).]
Old 02 August 2001, 08:33 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Richard Squire got some (plural) of these on the Network Q last year<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ssshh Pete.. I told not to mention that LOL

The NIP turned up at my mothers in South Wales and she being a law abiding ex-civilan police worker duly returned it with my USA address.

Haven't heard a word since and almost a year has gone by..

Richard

[This message has been edited by rsquire (edited 02 August 2001).]
Old 02 August 2001, 08:48 AM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

I have relations who live abroad who often drive our cars when visiting. If they were Gatso'd, i wonder if the police would bother to prosecute them at their oversee's address after i had completed the NIP giving their details. Has anyone actually seen a photo from a standard Gatso ?
Old 02 August 2001, 08:57 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

To determine if the driver was female :
Vanity mirror in down position
straddling the central white lines
loads of **** coming out of the exhaust cos it was in second gear the whole journey
Lots of shopping bags left on the roof

To determine if the driver was male :
Car positioned perfectly on the road
Correct distance from the car in front
Correct gear selected for the speed

Ro.
Old 02 August 2001, 04:29 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

I've seen a picture and it was clear, my mum appealed on the grounds that the time on the picce was wrong(she was at work 50 miles away). They said regardless an offence took place, lawyer said do nothing. She did nothing then last minute sent a cheque, they sent the cheque back saying sorry too late. I thought sh%t you've had it, but she heard nothing back so obviously they did not fancy the court arguement on accuracy given clock was wrong.

Regards
Cammy
Old 02 August 2001, 04:42 PM
SJobson
Scooby Regular

On the identity thing...

Friend of mine was done by a very well hidden front-facing camera. He'd already got some points, and he wasn't sure whether his missus was driving. Got the photo back, and sure enough, there he was, blonde, short haired. But his missus still took the rap - bobbed dark hair.... pretty obviously not her in the photo.

No names, places etc to preserve anonymity. But she took the points, no problem.

But it's not necessarily cheaper for your missus to take the points... I've just insured my fiancee on my Scoob, she's 38, professional, no claims, but one SP30 (3 points, £40 fine from a Gatso last August). I'm 28 (and male, not surprisingly, but no claims or convictions) so bit riskier I thought - and the premium's loaded 12.5% to include her! Apparently because of the SP30. Bunch of **** mate.

Simon
Old 02 August 2001, 04:46 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

What if the Registered Keeper is two people, like husband and wife for example.
Old 02 August 2001, 11:45 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

"Certainly officer, I'd be happy to furnish the details of the driver. He was taking the car for a test drive, and he gave his details as Mr Paul Daniels, No. 10 Downing Street, Timbuktu - he gave me his phone number as well but it mysteriously disappeared in a puff of smoke. Let me know when you get hold of him!"