ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

The mighty GB270

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2015, 08:57 PM
shaunys_gb270
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The mighty GB270

Hi all im very new to all this so please bare with me .

I have just bought my very first Subaru impreza wagon a gb270. I found this car for sale and it was like love at first sight and I had to have it.

Im really interested to now how far can you take these things i.e. performance wise whilst keeping the engine stock because I have heard a lot of story by people talking about chocolate pistons and all that tripe??
and every time I have to do a little modification I have to get it mapped all the time. so even if I change the air filter to a panel filter like a KnN I have to get it mapped and then again if I want to change the exhaust later on its life and so on and so forth. sorry for the rubbish questions but im brand new to all this and you alot have probably heard it all before.

just some advise would be great of anyone would be nice thank you for reading.
Old 26 November 2015, 12:38 AM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Id say panel filter and backbox be fine wont really effect car but yes a remap will bring out a few more horses. Its only when you change to decat/sports cat and induction kits that a remap is needed. If you plan on changing turbo,intercooler etc id either have it all done at once or collect the parts gradually then fit before you get it mapped. That way you will only pay for one map instead of a map then paying for a map tweak as you add uprated parts. Also depends how far you want to go with it. Dont forget brakes and suspension upgrades aswell.
Old 26 November 2015, 08:45 AM
shaunys_gb270
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nortonscooby
Id say panel filter and backbox be fine wont really effect car but yes a remap will bring out a few more horses. Its only when you change to decat/sports cat and induction kits that a remap is needed. If you plan on changing turbo,intercooler etc id either have it all done at once or collect the parts gradually then fit before you get it mapped. That way you will only pay for one map instead of a map then paying for a map tweak as you add uprated parts. Also depends how far you want to go with it. Dont forget brakes and suspension upgrades aswell.

Thanks for the reply it's already got ksport 8 pots on it and it's got bc coil overs on it so I guess all in all its ready to get beasted out haha how far can you take these engines without going crazy
Old 26 November 2015, 09:01 AM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Probably no more than 300 anymore and id be forging it, 2.5 is an engine to tread very carefully with. Id leave it the way it is i could not be bothered with having to live with the worry of it self destructing unless you plan on forging it when it pops.
Old 26 November 2015, 09:07 AM
shaunys_gb270
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **jay**
Probably no more than 300 anymore and id be forging it, 2.5 is an engine to tread very carefully with. Id leave it the way it is i could not be bothered with having to live with the worry of it self destructing unless you plan on forging it when it pops.
300 is that it. it's already 266 isn't it wow are they that crap these engine????
Old 26 November 2015, 09:14 AM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shaunys_gb270
300 is that it. it's already 266 isn't it wow are they that crap these engine????
Its no different from a normal 2.5 wrx yeh could run a bit more with correct mods but more you push them the more chance of it failing, if you have money put by for a forged engine then yeh id just push it to the max, if it hold great but if it lets go then no big deal as money aside for a rebuild.
The 300 is probably a limit id go with if you dont fancy rebuilding anytime soon, the 2.5 is a strange engine though could run for ever or it could crap itself even with no mods its the chance you take with it.

They are not crap but just have too many problems ie ring land failure and head gaskets the block is quite weak on them.

Last edited by **jay**; 26 November 2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 26 November 2015, 09:16 AM
shaunys_gb270
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **jay**
Its no different from a normal 2.5 wrx yeh could run a bit more with correct mods but more you push them the more chance of it failing, if you have money put by for a forged engine then yeh id just push it to the max, if it hold great but if it lets go then no big deal as money aside for a rebuild.
The 300 is probably a limit id go with if you dont fancy rebuilding anytime soon, the 2.5 is a strange engine though could run for ever or it could crap itself even with no mods its the chance you take with it.

Thanks for the advise. Anyone wanna buy a gb270 wagon haha.
How much we talking for a forged engine???
Old 26 November 2015, 11:45 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Nice one; best looking wagon, best colour imo. Welcome !
You don`t say what mileage and service history it has, which can have a bearing on it`s current engine condition. A custom map as it is will give a bit of peace of mind, but personally I didn't ever buy one because of living with the 2.5l fear; That is not to say that you will have any problems at all. It is still a wrx though, so you will have to change more than just the turbo to push above 290/300, as Jay said.
Old 26 November 2015, 12:06 PM
shaunys_gb270
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Nice one; best looking wagon, best colour imo. Welcome !
You don`t say what mileage and service history it has, which can have a bearing on it`s current engine condition. A custom map as it is will give a bit of peace of mind, but personally I didn't ever buy one because of living with the 2.5l fear; That is not to say that you will have any problems at all. It is still a wrx though, so you will have to change more than just the turbo to push above 290/300, as Jay said.
Hi hedgecutter
It's had one owner from new and full subaru history and it's got 83 thousand on the clock. Had timing belt done at 49 thousand. It feels really strong with no knocks or funny bangs starts up with no rattles or anything.
Old 26 November 2015, 01:12 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I do like a wagon and have had Impreza, Legacy and Foresters but all JDM and not UK specs.

I would look at getting a timing belt change done as they are changed every 50k or 5 years which ever comes first. The 2.5 is a bit of a stange fish in it's ability to self destruct or last for ages, no hard and fast rule. At 83k the bushes will start to ge tired and are worth replacing with polyurthene.

The GB270 is a standard WRX with some cosmetic nice bits and PPP added, the leather seats being the most desirable. A real shame considering what Subaru could have done.

Most of the points have been covered already but I would bin the coil overs and get a decent struts/spring combo for UK roads. Good quality tyres will be a must and the brakes are uprated so less of a worry.

How much did you pay by the way?
Old 26 November 2015, 01:18 PM
shaunys_gb270
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
I do like a wagon and have had Impreza, Legacy and Foresters but all JDM and not UK specs.

I would look at getting a timing belt change done as they are changed every 50k or 5 years which ever comes first. The 2.5 is a bit of a stange fish in it's ability to self destruct or last for ages, no hard and fast rule. At 83k the bushes will start to ge tired and are worth replacing with polyurthene.

The GB270 is a standard WRX with some cosmetic nice bits and PPP added, the leather seats being the most desirable. A real shame considering what Subaru could have done.

Most of the points have been covered already but I would bin the coil overs and get a decent struts/spring combo for UK roads. Good quality tyres will be a must and the brakes are uprated so less of a worry.

How much did you pay by the way?
Its got Bridgestones all round on it. It drives really smooth and straight. I paid 7800 for it I thought it's a fair price as it's only had the 1 owner there's not one scratch on the car or the wheels it's really clean car and it has the half leather and alcanta trim with the GB270 stiching.
Old 26 November 2015, 01:22 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

wow £7800!
The following users liked this post:
Old 26 November 2015, 01:41 PM
shaunys_gb270
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
wow £7800!

I thought it was a alright price because it's a rare wagon and it's totally standard so I think it wouldn't of been hammered everywhere I'm not arsed what it cost me tbh I'm really pleased with it I mean u pay 9 k for a Ford focus wouldn't you haha
Old 26 November 2015, 03:11 PM
Matt_182
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought you said it's already got Ksport brakes and BC coilovers? Unless you've added them already since buying it.

Either way it sounds pricey but if your happy with it then that's all that matters. It's a cracking looking car and if it wasn't for the 2.5 engine I'd have got one for sure! Look in the projects thread and someone is currently modding a hawkeye wagon in search of safe gains, should give you some ideas about what's manageable.
Old 26 November 2015, 03:46 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

don't get hung up on hp figures - take a look at the torque output as well, with a decent exhaust and a remap you'll be clear of 300 lbft of torque and the car will drive much better for it.
Old 26 November 2015, 07:32 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Happy motoring in the new motor mate
What colour is it? Any pics?
Old 26 November 2015, 09:07 PM
shaunys_gb270
Scooby Regular

its the grey colour its a really nice grey cant remember the actually colour name haha. ill try and post some pics now
Old 26 November 2015, 09:21 PM
shaunys_gb270
Scooby Regular

my gb270
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gb271.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	19722   Click image for larger version

Name:	gb272.jpg
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	19723   Click image for larger version

Name:	gb273.jpg
Size:	526.5 KB
ID:	19724   Click image for larger version

Name:	gb274.jpg
Size:	377.4 KB
ID:	19725   Click image for larger version

Name:	gb275.jpg
Size:	444.1 KB
ID:	19726  

Click image for larger version

Name:	gb276.jpg
Size:	444.1 KB
ID:	19727   Click image for larger version

Name:	gb277.jpg
Size:	560.3 KB
ID:	19728  
Old 26 November 2015, 10:20 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Crystal Grey There are plenty of GB270 Wagons up for sale for a lot more, and one less than a grand cheaper which is cat D and no history, at 60 000 miles. If you got a warranty it`s not too expensive. Supply and demand, and all that.
Old 27 November 2015, 04:32 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice looking wagon that pal.

£7800 is a bit eye watering but bodes well for my sh1tbox wagon

As above the 2.5L in the WRX seems to do a little better than the STI and the gearbox is apparently stronger than previous 5 speeds, so that's at least something positive for you.

There was one guy on here a while back with a 2.5L that made it to 240k and there is another in the milage thread with 150k on it so it's not all doom and gloom.

One thing is for sure though if you start modding it, then the risk will be increased as the more boost you add the greater the likely hood of the heads lifting under sustained use.

It's a roll of the dice and the only way to be sure is to go forged but you're looking at £2.5/3k plus while you're at it a new clutch as it would be silly not to, then may as well add a bigger turbo and remap, so all in probably closer to £5k all done and dusted, which really is eye watering and what puts most people on here off.

Anyway enough doom and gloom, who knows you may be one of the lucky ones, those seats are nice.
Old 27 November 2015, 07:45 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by shaunys_gb270
my gb270
Nice wagon pal LET THE MODS BEGIN
Old 28 November 2015, 10:13 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

I always liked the gb270 wagons, striking looking cars but always wondered why they didn't give them the front splitter like the saloons

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Crystal Grey There are plenty of GB270 Wagons up for sale for a lot more, and one less than a grand cheaper which is cat D and no history, at 60 000 miles. If you got a warranty it`s not too expensive. Supply and demand, and all that.
they ain't crystal grey, Spec D is crystal, GB270 is the darker grey that I can never remember the name of lol
Old 28 November 2015, 10:15 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Urban grey! Google to the rescue!
Old 28 November 2015, 02:37 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gambit
Urban grey! Google to the rescue!
I`ve never seen the spec D and GB270 wagon together, so guessed they were the same, but now you`ve told me I can see the wagon is darker; I like both !
Old 30 November 2015, 12:46 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As its already been said don’t get hung up about the BHP

Torque's makes the difference with the 2.5 engine believe me, make it a very good fast road car following a map

BHP - is for top end speed
Torque’s - are for acceleration
Old 28 July 2021, 08:24 PM
Moosemotors
Scooby Newbie

Default Today is the day my head gasket went!

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Nice looking wagon that pal.

£7800 is a bit eye watering but bodes well for my sh1tbox wagon

As above the 2.5L in the WRX seems to do a little better than the STI and the gearbox is apparently stronger than previous 5 speeds, so that's at least something positive for you.

There was one guy on here a while back with a 2.5L that made it to 240k and there is another in the milage thread with 150k on it so it's not all doom and gloom.

One thing is for sure though if you start modding it, then the risk will be increased as the more boost you add the greater the likely hood of the heads lifting under sustained use.

It's a roll of the dice and the only way to be sure is to go forged but you're looking at £2.5/3k plus while you're at it a new clutch as it would be silly not to, then may as well add a bigger turbo and remap, so all in probably closer to £5k all done and dusted, which really is eye watering and what puts most people on here off.

Anyway enough doom and gloom, who knows you may be one of the lucky ones, those seats are nice.
After 135K fun motoring miles my GB270 decided to become teapot..head gasket went so water disappears.
Feel like a good friend died..still in shock.
Subaru garage had me so traded for another Subaru..a Forester. But at least I no longer have to slalom around pot holes!
Old 28 July 2021, 08:46 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Really good looking wagon there.
I like 🤩