Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Ebay exhaust....oh dear

Old 31 August 2015, 01:07 PM
leeturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay exhaust....oh dear

You know what they say, "buy cheap l, buy twice." well I should of listened. I bought a full 3" ss exhaust for £199 delivered of eBay, and the down pipe is literally sat on the steering rack! I've tried taking it all off and starting again but it's definitely nothing I've done, I should mention it comes with the up pipe aswell so whether that's causing the turbo to be "twisted" slightly I'm not sure. The worse news is that I threw the old exhaust away and the car is undriveable now, now I've got to try and get a refund and source a decent one, or try and hammer a dent where it's catching? So anyone thinking of being as stupid as me, forget it. Save your money and your time/nerves.
Old 31 August 2015, 01:09 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

I have a full decat hks system for sale,no downpipe though.

Yeah buy cheap buy twice
Old 31 August 2015, 01:13 PM
leeturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Yeah I seen it I think, if it's the same one. A week too late, I've got to wait to get a refund now before I can even look for another, plus I will need a downpipe.
Old 31 August 2015, 01:23 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

You mean 'but nice or buy twice' lol.
Old 31 August 2015, 01:31 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by leeturbo2000
Yeah I seen it I think, if it's the same one. A week too late, I've got to wait to get a refund now before I can even look for another, plus I will need a downpipe.
I reccomend the japspeed de cat downpipe, £135 on here from ed @japspeed. I had one on my last impreza and the fit is 110% accurate. I'm actually gonna buy another one for my current car in a week or so, meaning my current downpipe maybe for sale aswell
Old 31 August 2015, 03:34 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know what they say, "buy cheap l, buy twice." well I should of listened. I bought a full 3" ss exhaust for £199 delivered of eBay, and the down pipe is literally sat on the steering rack! I've tried taking it all off and starting again but it's definitely nothing I've done, I should mention it comes with the up pipe aswell so whether that's causing the turbo to be "twisted" slightly I'm not sure. The worse news is that I threw the old exhaust away and the car is undriveable now, now I've got to try and get a refund and source a decent one, or try and hammer a dent where it's catching? So anyone thinking of being as stupid as me, forget it. Save your money and your time/nerves.
£200 is cheap, I would just cut and weld it to make it fit.
Still cheap at that.
Saying this because you can't buy an off the shelf exhaust to fit my impreza, so that's what I would have to do any way- cut and wel it to make it fit. An hour with your grinder and welder will see it on. Job done.
Then slaughter the guy on eBay with feedback.
Done this many times before with cheap eBay purchases, last one was rear subframe poly bushes, I had to machine them smaller to make them fit after destroying the old ones removing them. Same situation, car was off the road, needed it back.
Just have it get on with it and engineer a solution!

Last edited by boosted; 31 August 2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 31 August 2015, 04:14 PM
leeturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boosted
£200 is cheap, I would just cut and weld it to make it fit.
Still cheap at that.
Saying this because you can't buy an off the shelf exhaust to fit my impreza, so that's what I would have to do any way- cut and wel it to make it fit. An hour with your grinder and welder will see it on. Job done.
Then slaughter the guy on eBay with feedback.
Done this many times before with cheap eBay purchases, last one was rear subframe poly bushes, I had to machine them smaller to make them fit after destroying the old ones removing them. Same situation, car was off the road, needed it back.
Just have it get on with it and engineer a solution!
I've sort of done this, I took it off and got the hammer out not as precise as your way but it seems to have done the trick, I just knocked a scallop into it and I mated it up and it seems to clear it, won't know until tomorrow now because, surprise surprise the brand new gasket is shot lol only been on a day and not done even half a mile and it fell in two! Anyway got a good one from blueprint on order and I'll let you know what happens.
Old 31 August 2015, 04:27 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've sort of done this, I took it off and got the hammer out not as precise as your way but it seems to have done the trick, I just knocked a scallop into it and I mated it up and it seems to clear it, won't know until tomorrow now because, surprise surprise the brand new gasket is shot lol only been on a day and not done even half a mile and it fell in two! Anyway got a good one from blueprint on order and I'll let you know what happens.
Turbo-downpipe gasket? I'd just re use the old one
Old 31 August 2015, 04:31 PM
leeturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boosted
Turbo-downpipe gasket? I'd just re use the old one
It got stuck on and I had to bend it and twist it to get it off, not much going my way I think.
Old 31 August 2015, 05:32 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

Ive got a no name down pipe and cat back but good quality uppipe with no problems. Cant see a branded Downpipe back making much difference anyway. I wouldnt fit one of those nasty flexy up pipes mind
Old 31 August 2015, 05:49 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

As above with flexy.
Old 31 August 2015, 08:09 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Ebay exhaust....oh dear

I bought a cheap exhaust for my first exhaust full system. Bought new around £150 no problems at all. Not perfect fit, eg gear box mount wouldn't line up, so left hanging. But apart from that it's fine.

Removed it after year and a half I think. Sold it for abit less. Apart from small surface rust, was good exhaust. So it's not always the case. Buy 2nd hand exhaust iff here then send yours back.