Advanced driving/handling training in my Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2015, 09:00 AM
WokaImp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advanced driving/handling training in my Impreza

Hi,
I've been involved in some form of motorsport for 30+ years...light track and EPEC/24hr Karting.
Pretty much everything I have driven in anger on a track is rear wheel drive. I can handle these with my eyes closed.
4x4 is a different matter though.
I am simply not a good enough driver, yet, to handle the Impreza round corners when going flat out...and before anyone says anything I don't drive like this on public roads, not even close...I just don't want to put my car sideways into a tyre wall on a track day. On my previous track days I have nailed some corners and the Impreza, very impressively, sticks like glue. So far it's never gone sideways. Most I have got is a bit a tyre squeal (Eagle F1s)
Can anyone recommend a place where I can go for an advanced driving/track course?

Thanks,

Woka
Old 09 August 2015, 10:11 AM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

From what you are saying you are a good enough driver
It is just about getting a feel and more of an understanding of 4WD

Two places here

http://www.carlimits.com/
(North Weald)

http://www.donpalmer.co.uk/
(Bruntingthorpe)

I would dump the F1s for track use. (Great all round road tyres mind)
And put on a set of Federal 595 RSRs
They are road legal, but are more suited to track use.
You have to get heat into them for them to work and towards the end of their life when they are more slick like they get pretty good. I have also found them to be progressive on the limits too.

Do you heal and toe? As I find that makes a big difference in a big power impreza in terms of getting it set up/balanced coming into a bend on track.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09 August 2015, 10:52 AM
WokaImp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn
From what you are saying you are a good enough driver
It is just about getting a feel and more of an understanding of 4WD
Thanks for the vote of confidence
I would only consider myself a good enough driver if I can consistently recover from the car losing traction, like it was second nature. Until then I am merely average and won't push the car to it's limits.
Just got an STI 6 speed gearbox upgrade...sort of kicking myself I didn't go for DCCD
Thanks for the links I'll look them up later today.
I don't use Heal & Toe on the road and only attempted it a handful of times on a track. It's this kind of thing I would like instruction on as well.

As for tyres...I did look at those when I got my new alloys....but opted for one of the best wet tyres as Yorkshire can be a bit soggy some days.
They only have 4k miles on them and will probably last me a good few years. Don't fancy buying another set of alloys just yet for dedicated track use.

Thanks,

Woka

Last edited by WokaImp; 09 August 2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09 August 2015, 05:32 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You might find this interesting

https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...d-driving.html

DCCD does not necessarily make you quicker.
And also there is so much you can do with ARBs and suspension settings to get the car to behave in different ways on the limits,
Old 11 August 2015, 03:43 PM
WokaImp
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the links.
I think I saw that thread a while back.
Spent days reading and researching about DCCD on an Impreza. I think I went for the right choice in the end for how may car will be used.
It's not like the upgrade was disappointing, I love the 6 speed STI gearbox that's been fitted. Just love it...grass is always greener
Old 11 August 2015, 08:31 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Have a chat with Andy and he will be able to advise in regards to setting the car up to how you want it to feel
Old 12 August 2015, 07:54 AM
WokaImp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Have a chat with Andy and he will be able to advise in regards to setting the car up to how you want it to feel
Yea, got it back from Andy (Richard Henry Motorsport) a few weeks ago. The adjusted everything then. Feels great on the road.
I just need to go onto a runway with soft squishy foam cones, stiffen the suspension with a few turns of the **** and learn the ins and outs of exactly how it handles.
The car is going back to Andy in September for an MD321H turbo and head upgrade. My aim is to put it through it's paces before then so if it needs any minor adjustment then it can be done at the same time.

Myself and tyre walls have had meetings before. It if very unpleasant and costly. I'd go into shock if I even clipped a tyre wall in my Impreza.
Last time I was at a track some guy put his nice new expensive Exige sideways into a tyre wall. Not only did he trash the body work but his car hoovered up what seems like all the gravel, as he drove around the car park it was coming out of every orifice of the car for over 10 minutes. I almost cried for him.

Last edited by WokaImp; 12 August 2015 at 08:01 AM.