ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Scooby Newby..advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2015, 09:47 PM
HoddyRS
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Scooby Newby..advice needed!

Hello everyone I'm brand spanking new to the world of veneral diseases and WRX's but I have a good idea what would suit me but may need some direction on where best to look. I've previously owned a modified mk1 RS Focus and now have a standard megane r26 so 4 wheel drive will make wet weather driving that bit more accessible ;-)

So far I've gathered that if tuning a scoob the newer (post classic) STI's are the ones to go for and probably easier easier to live with. Any advice on what main points to look for when viewing one and if possible point me In the direction of any enthusiast owned examples for sale :-) sorry for blabbing on and yes, I do know there's a search button ;-) thought id say hello first...

Paul
Old 02 August 2015, 09:54 PM
Soup
Scooby Regular

Used to have a mk1 FRS myself do miss it and the roar of thàt PD system

I went for a blob widetrack sti and love it! took a long while to find a good one tho. Take your time looking a lot of **** ones out there
Old 02 August 2015, 11:14 PM
S204Darren
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go JDM Spec C if you can, great car out the box.
Old 02 August 2015, 11:53 PM
HoddyRS
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Soup
Used to have a mk1 FRS myself do miss it and the roar of thàt PD system

I went for a blob widetrack sti and love it! took a long while to find a good one tho. Take your time looking a lot of **** ones out there
Yeah my RS sounded the nuts will be a hard car to replace.
Did you have any experience driving the none widetrack STI's and if the driving experience differs much from the widetrack? My budget is roughly 8.5k so can't really get a low miles widetrack unfortunately
Old 03 August 2015, 05:17 PM
Soup
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HoddyRS
Yeah my RS sounded the nuts will be a hard car to replace.
Did you have any experience driving the none widetrack STI's and if the driving experience differs much from the widetrack? My budget is roughly 8.5k so can't really get a low miles widetrack unfortunately
I didn't tbh just went straight for the wide track looked at 6 over a couple of months and settled on the one I have now all standard and untouched apart from the PPP.

Did you have the same forum name on the RSOC? (The name looks familiar)
Old 03 August 2015, 08:05 PM
HoddyRS
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Soup
I didn't tbh just went straight for the wide track looked at 6 over a couple of months and settled on the one I have now all standard and untouched apart from the PPP.

Did you have the same forum name on the RSOC? (The name looks familiar)

similar mate. Was Hoddy910. No issues at all running the car? Are there any known issues to look for on these models?
Old 04 August 2015, 08:03 AM
serpico
Scooby Regular

I too have had a couple of FRS in the past & a numerous Impreza's. I have to say as a daily driver you can't go wrong with a new age sti. With a few choice mods it will be a good point to point car. Although in my FRS third gear was absolutely immense, albeit the lack of traction used to really annoy me.
You can bag a newage sti from around 5-7k but for a decent widetrack blob you'll be paying a premium of at least 9k.
There are a few decent spec sti's in the classifieds depending on your budget.
Old 04 August 2015, 10:04 PM
HoddyRS
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by serpico
I too have had a couple of FRS in the past & a numerous Impreza's. I have to say as a daily driver you can't go wrong with a new age sti. With a few choice mods it will be a good point to point car. Although in my FRS third gear was absolutely immense, albeit the lack of traction used to really annoy me.
You can bag a newage sti from around 5-7k but for a decent widetrack blob you'll be paying a premium of at least 9k.
There are a few decent spec sti's in the classifieds depending on your budget.
Yeah mate I'm eyeing up a few online but I'm a little unsure whether the premium for the widetrack is actually worth it? Would the driving experience be they much better? The prices for STI's and widetracks are closer than you'd expect atm
Old 05 August 2015, 08:07 AM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HoddyRS
Yeah mate I'm eyeing up a few online but I'm a little unsure whether the premium for the widetrack is actually worth it? Would the driving experience be they much better? The prices for STI's and widetracks are closer than you'd expect atm
If you can afford widetrack then go for that. There is a lot of revisions that can't be seen on widetracks. A lot of this is underneath the car including things like the diff, lateral arms, trailing arms, suspension tweaks, different hubs, subframes, I'm pretty sure the gear box is revised too & more...but that is beyond my limited know how. A search on here will yield the main differences.

I have driven & owned both. Day to day driving they will be pretty similar in my own opinion. I think when pushing it ***** out you will notice some of these differences...well I did anyway. Don't get me wrong though it's not like night & day.
I currently have a blob sti on a 54 plate (pre widetrack) however if I could afford it, I would buy another widetrack.