Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

BOV,blank wastegate or leave it?

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2015, 08:18 PM
dynaudiofocus
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOV,blank wastegate or leave it?

Always been my dream to own a fast turbo car,love the delivery,sound and performance of Subaru.question is do I get a bov,blank the wastegate for some chatter or is it best to just leave it alone?will I look and sound like a chav with a bov
Old 26 May 2015, 08:24 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Its a Marmite question,get what "YOU!!!" can personally live with and like,as every answer to this question will be down to who ever is answering it i.e there preference,do what ever makes you happy mate.SJ.
Old 26 May 2015, 08:41 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As above, but also, you dont just get that wastegate chatter, you still have to have the right setup, airbox and standard TMIC doesnt give good chatter/flutter, you need to say, modify the airbox or have a FMIC to get the ebst flutter noise
Old 26 May 2015, 08:46 PM
dynaudiofocus
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by The Rig
As above, but also, you dont just get that wastegate chatter, you still have to have the right setup, airbox and standard TMIC doesnt give good chatter/flutter, you need to say, modify the airbox or have a FMIC to get the ebst flutter noise
Sorry but I'm new to owning a Subaru and don't understand TMIC,FMIC,EBST?
Old 26 May 2015, 08:57 PM
300gnspitzer
Scooby Regular

Top Mounted Inter Cooler Front Mounted Inter Cooler best
Old 26 May 2015, 09:03 PM
Barxy
Scooby Regular

BOV

But by a decent make, HKS or Forge, careful not to get a fake, real ones cost a lot.

And ignore people who say they cause you're car to run badly / blow up etc its all a load if tosh, although a fake or cheap BOV may do if it leaks, hence why i say get a decent one.
Old 26 May 2015, 09:05 PM
dynaudiofocus
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by 300gnspitzer
Top Mounted Inter Cooler Front Mounted Inter Cooler best

Cheers pal 👍
Old 26 May 2015, 09:07 PM
dynaudiofocus
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Barxy
BOV

But by a decent make, HKS or Forge, careful not to get a fake, real ones cost a lot.

And ignore people who say they cause you're car to run badly / blow up etc its all a load if tosh, although a fake or cheap BOV may do if it leaks, hence why i say get a decent one.
I will be using Scoobyworld as I don't want to risk fake stuff
Old 26 May 2015, 09:27 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess you mean blanking the recirc/DV off rather than the wastegate.

Blanked gets my vote in any case.
Old 26 May 2015, 09:38 PM
dynaudiofocus
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Fonzey
I guess you mean blanking the recirc/DV off rather than the wastegate.

Blanked gets my vote in any case.

Yeah that's what I meant lol
Old 27 May 2015, 08:39 AM
Matt_STi
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Leave it with the standard recirc valve.
Old 27 May 2015, 09:16 AM
dynaudiofocus
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Matt_STi
Leave it with the standard recirc valve.

Yeah I think I will mate,read horror stories of blanking and what not
Old 27 May 2015, 10:08 AM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dynaudiofocus
Yeah I think I will mate,read horror stories of blanking and what not

I would say get a decent BOV, try it out if you like it its a win if notreplace it back with recirc. I had a BOV for a while and Changed it to recircnow I’m sure that I will change it back at some point again.

As for all that CHAV part etc, I think it a load of tosh. amount of meets Ibeen to many people have an aftermarket BOV and I can assure you they are farfrom 'Chavs'. In addition to that, I am certain that so called 'Chavs' will notbe able to afford the running costs of a subaru in the first place...

Good luck
Old 27 May 2015, 03:54 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have the older TD mitsubishi turbos they can cope with the flutter of blanking, its the later weaker VF ones that you hear go bye bye
Old 27 May 2015, 04:08 PM
SouthernScooby
Scooby Regular

Went to view my Scooby last month not wanting a BOV. Wasn't listed in the ad but completely changed my opinion as i was driving the car and didn't raise my insureance at all!

+1 to getting an established brand.
Old 27 May 2015, 06:08 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

BOV

+1 when fitted a standard recirc and hatted it. Nothing to gain at all its all for noise and emissions. There is no map sensor on the intercooler side like on some vag cars so the dumped air cant have been measured

DONT blank it the air has nowere to go gets forced back towards the turbo and slows it down thats the "chatter" you hear

Last edited by south_scoob; 27 May 2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old 27 May 2015, 06:14 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

With a ebay bov you may look like a chav.. With the ssqv chirping you will look like a driving god
Old 27 May 2015, 07:04 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Maybe get a gfb deceptor b.o.v? Then can adjust from v.t.a to recirc if you change your mind
Old 27 May 2015, 08:18 PM
Barxy
Scooby Regular

Anyone who calls a BOV chavvy, yet drives around in a car with a noisey exhaust is an idiot
Old 28 May 2015, 03:30 AM
gary77
Scooby Regular

Hmm not sure if I should stick my turbo smart bov back on or sell it along with the rediculously loud decatted de resonated h+s exhaust
Old 28 May 2015, 02:20 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Another BOV thread with loads of rubbish churned out.

The turbo spool is compromised by atmospheric chav valves like the SSQV, amongst many other issues it will cause. Granted it probably wont do any damage, but performance will be hindered. You poverty spec UK car owners probably don't notice it with your laggy trubos, but compare the two on a JDM twinscroll, and the difference is night and day.

OEM valve is the best one you can get.
Old 28 May 2015, 03:21 PM
gary77
Scooby Regular

Is there any situation where a vent to atmosphere would be an advantage over a recirculation type ?
Old 28 May 2015, 03:40 PM
Ryanj1993
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trinity

The turbo spool is compromised by atmospheric chav valves like the SSQV, amongst many other issues it will cause. Granted it probably wont do any damage, but performance will be hindered. You poverty spec UK car owners probably don't notice it with your laggy trubos, but compare the two on a JDM twinscroll, and the difference is night and day.

^This, only person talking sense
Old 28 May 2015, 04:03 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gary77
Is there any situation where a vent to atmosphere would be an advantage over a recirculation type ?
No. A CS 400 uses a normal one.
Old 28 May 2015, 04:07 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Anyone who calls a BOV chavvy, yet drives around in a car with a noisey exhaust is an idiot
Not all owners fit "MAKE MORE NOISE" exhausts or chavvy valves, so your statement is a bit broad brush.

If people are trying to emulate the "chirp" that rally cars make they need to have the anti-lag running constantly and be ready to buy a new turbo every few hundred miles.
Old 28 May 2015, 04:27 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

Youve just contradicted yourself! On a twinscroll maby but on my uk wrx (yes mock..away) there is **** all difference in turbo spool.

This may make a few people like you jellous because in high gears the ssqv doesn't chirp it makes a symphony of noises personally i hate woosh standard dvs but wouldnt sell my hks for love nor money!
Old 28 May 2015, 07:21 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by south_scoob
Youve just contradicted yourself! On a twinscroll maby but on my uk wrx (yes mock..away) there is **** all difference in turbo spool.

This may make a few people like you jellous because in high gears the ssqv doesn't chirp it makes a symphony of noises personally i hate woosh standard dvs but wouldnt sell my hks for love nor money!
I am not entirely sure that you know what the word 'contradiction' or 'contradicted' means, because if you did, there was no contradiction in that sentence.

If you look a little a closer, it says ' you wont notice it', this is not to say that is is not there, therefore no contradiction. It has been proven time and time again, by, you know, those of us that have actually tuned our cars for many many years. No experienced mapper likes atmospheric valves.

I don't need a cheap metal valve to provide 'a symphony of noise' because, if you had bought the right car in the first place, i,e a Twinscroll, its own natural not artificially produced sound is one of the best noises a human can ever experience.

So enjoy your chav valve and grab a dictionary while you are listening to it go 'chrrp'
Old 28 May 2015, 07:42 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by south_scoob

That is such a sad statement.
Name:  s320x240.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  11.8 KB
Old 28 May 2015, 08:12 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

I am not entirely sure that you know what the word 'contradiction' or 'contradicted' means, because if you did, there was no contradiction in that sentence.

If you look a little a closer, it says ' you wont notice it', this is not to say that is is not there, therefore no contradiction. It has been proven time and time again, by, you know, those of us that have actually tuned our cars for many many years. No experienced mapper likes atmospheric valves.

I don't need a cheap metal valve to provide 'a symphony of noise' because, if you had bought the right car in the first place, i,e a Twinscroll, its own natural not artificially produced sound is one of the best noises a human can ever experience.

So enjoy your chav valve and grab a dictionary while you are listening to it go 'chrrp'
Best sound a human can experience? Funny because in every twinscroll video ive ever watched they sound just like a civic type R

ive lost count of the amount off people (strangers) complimenting the sound of my car so it cant be that bad/chavy
Old 28 May 2015, 08:49 PM
Barxy
Scooby Regular

You seriously have a chip on your shoulder dude lol. Chill out a bit

Quick Reply: BOV,blank wastegate or leave it?