Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2015, 04:02 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Evo Magazine New Long Termer - 2014 WRX STI

and its in Blue.

Got a bit of a slating from the reviewer,

"Theres a radio with both FM and AM! and ZX Spectrum-spec fuel economy gauge and a graphic that tells you what the wheels are doing. Or something."

and

"The low speed ride is awful...the steering confuses weight for feel and the chassis feels a bit 90's Audi"

but does admit to only driving 200 commuting miles so far. Will be interesting to see what they make of it..Obviously it will probably be s***e then they will drive the JDM twinscroll version, and there will be a Eureka moment!

Last edited by Trinity; 26 January 2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 26 January 2015, 04:11 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Henry Catchpole seemed to like it.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...nd_prices.html
Old 26 January 2015, 04:12 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Trinity
and its in Blue.

Got a bit of a slating from the reviewer,

"Theres a radio with both FM and AM! and ZX Spectrum-spec fuel economy gauge and a graphic that tells you what the wheels are doing. Or something."

and

"The low speed ride is awful...the steering confuses weight for feel and the chassis feels a bit 90's Audi"

but does admit to only driving 200 commuting miles so far. Will be interesting to see what they make of it..Obviously it will probably be s***e then they will drive the JDM twinscroll version, and there will be a Eureka moment!
JDM Envy!
Old 26 January 2015, 04:13 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Maz
Yes I remember that review, goes to show what longer in a car on UK roads can represent over a car thats test driven on a perfect location in a perfect environment chosen by the press team.

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
JDM Envy!
Old 26 January 2015, 04:27 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive tried to like it but sadly i dont.
cant see it selling as the chavs cant afford one and those that can usually arent that stupid as there are far better cars available
Old 26 January 2015, 04:33 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
ive tried to like it but sadly i dont.
cant see it selling as the chavs cant afford one and those that can usually arent that stupid as there are far better cars available
I really want to take one out for a spin.

The Golf R is a massive contender in this category, but I find German cars lack a type of 'soul' that an Impreza has. Having owned an array of GTI's, S3's, Quattros etc, there was just something about the Type R and the JDM Blob that the others couldnt come close to matching (apart from my Mk2 GTI). Who knows if the new one brings this or not.
Old 26 January 2015, 08:38 PM
Not a Diesel!!!
Scooby Regular

Definitely the Golf R at that price point.

Running costs (depreciation/economy/Service) on the golf for the same performance got to be lower. They have been doing crazy lease deals on the Golf R also.

10 Years ago an STI & EVO had the USP of more power and grip and you could see it in the WRC.

Now they are all at it. Mercedes, Audi & VW with BMW doing pretty well with 2wd in 135i & 235i .
Old 26 January 2015, 08:39 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Ooh it has proper steering; that's a big plus IMO.
Old 26 January 2015, 08:47 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Subaru's and Evo's have had there day, Bit like Liverpool F.C, where good in the early 90's, but just average now days.
Old 26 January 2015, 08:51 PM
scoobyland
BANNED

The only thing wrong with the WRX STI is that it's not an impreza, and STI is an unfortunate name.
Old 27 January 2015, 12:34 AM
mslorach
Scooby Regular

I've had one for a month now and I think it's great, have to disagree with the Evo long term initial review. Low speed ride is fine and the chassis is anything but 80's audi. Its a huge step forward from my previous Subaru (RB320) as far as handling and build quality goes and it's also comfortable with a surprisingly decent interior.
Everyone's got their own opinion though, I'd highly recommend having a test drive in one, you'd be surprised how good it is.
I honestly thought my 320 would be the last Subaru I'd own but I love the new styling and I'm really happy with the car so far. I'm sure the Golf R is a great car and there are definitely plenty of similar powered cars available but the Subaru does it for me.
Old 27 January 2015, 07:35 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

I think partly, its because we know what to expect from a Subaru , these tester test every car under the sun, therefore they have a wider set of experience and knowledge to base a decision on. I don't doubt its a great car, but is it enough car hitting enough areas to warrant its price tag? Bearing in mind the Golf R is a remap away from 400bhp and a sub 3 second 0-60 jolt, in a more refined cabin and size.

Its such a shame the UK spec STI's get the poverty engine, I really think having the JDM twinscroll would raise more eyebrows at the Evo headquarters.
Old 27 January 2015, 08:09 AM
fawor
BANNED

I think partly, its because we know what to expect from a Subaru , these tester test every car under the sun, therefore they have a wider set of experience and knowledge to base a decision on. I don't doubt its a great car, but is it enough car hitting enough areas to warrant its price tag? Bearing in mind the Golf R is a remap away from 400bhp and a sub 3 second 0-60 jolt, in a more refined cabin and size.

Its such a shame the UK spec STI's get the poverty engine, I really think having the JDM twinscroll would raise more eyebrows at the Evo headquarters.
No idea how twinscroll could improve low speed ride steering feel, no reviews about engine complains yet.
would prefer bigger singlescroll with better spool and kick
im sure is way better car on corners, town etc than golf r
Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Ooh it has proper steering; that's a big plus IMO.
still banned on bmw forum, should own car with proper M not m package

Last edited by fawor; 27 January 2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 27 January 2015, 08:17 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fawor
No idea how twinscroll could improve low speed ride steering feel, no reviews about engine complains yet.
Oh Fawor, little immigrant no mark, the Twinscroll spools earlier, thats the whole point you are laughable.

And JDM comes with different suspension. Lol.

Now runalong back to the carwash and leave this thread for the knowledgeable
Old 27 January 2015, 12:29 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fawor

still banned on bmw forum, should own car with proper M not m package
You should be banned from this country by the sound of it. However I am not and never have been banned from any BMW forum you halfwit. Who probably hasn't even got a car.
Old 27 January 2015, 12:38 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they did a wrx version with a fake eBay spoiler and some cheap nasty xxrs fawor would car wash his little bottom of to get one
Old 27 January 2015, 12:54 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

I don't care what any of you say, which is better, what the failure rates are etc etc.

if you pull up in a Golf R, S3, Type-R or a new 2015 impreza ,

the impreza will be the one everyone focuses on.

and as everyone above are well aware that engine has been used for years and we all know how tuned up that engine can be. so power shouldn't be an issue and I don't think any of us would buy any car and not consider mods

Subaru and Mitsubishi have never been the type of car you see on every motorway and never have they been the quickest

We can hold on to our classics, bugs, blobs, hawk, hatch forever - but what do they all have in common? they are still highly respected and held close to the people that own them and recognised by anyone that see's them.

you cant say that with many other marquee's and brands.

the 2015 impreza is a really nice looking car and the 2015 car will still be highly regarded as we get to 2025 like our blob eyes now.

The classic is what 20 years old now? look at the majority of other cars which are 20 years old, Subaru impreza is a strong brand and isn't going no where.
Old 27 January 2015, 01:26 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd tend to agree with you, on which would tend to gain the greater exposure out of those four you mention. Part of the STI appeal has been about the rally inspired look, and in this day and age of boring styling.... it certainly stands out.

Whether the 2015 is "really nice looking" is subjective. Some will say (for the reasons stated above) that it looks awful, whilst others will say it's "OK" or "AWESOME!!". I actually like the look of this model.

The Impreza brand has taken a major battering, which has in part been the outcome of not being part of WRC, let alone any issues known with the cars themselves. This led to the point that IM withdrew the STI from the UK. Thankfully that decision has now been reversed, so let's hope they continue to grow the brand further.

IMO the STI is yesterdays news. Subaru need to reinvigorate the brand, as the way things are going with nearly every other marque raging forward, they will disappear in to an even more niche market than they currently hold.

I would love to return back to this marque at some point, but for me, they will need to do some forward thinking to persuade me to do that. Personally I feel this will be difficult for Subaru..... they are a relative small manufacturer and I suspect that one of the main reasons why they continue to use "dirty" technology, is that they don't have the funds to develop the next generation. It would be sad if this seals their fate.

The problem is, if you rest on your laurels too much during the good times, when you need to drive things forward again it becomes quite a task to undertake.

Let's hope they already have the "next development" waiting in the wings.
Old 28 January 2015, 01:24 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XDevil666
I don't care what any of you say, which is better, what the failure rates are etc etc.

if you pull up in a Golf R, S3, Type-R or a new 2015 impreza ,

the impreza will be the one everyone focuses on.

and as everyone above are well aware that engine has been used for years and we all know how tuned up that engine can be. so power shouldn't be an issue and I don't think any of us would buy any car and not consider mods

Subaru and Mitsubishi have never been the type of car you see on every motorway and never have they been the quickest

We can hold on to our classics, bugs, blobs, hawk, hatch forever - but what do they all have in common? they are still highly respected and held close to the people that own them and recognised by anyone that see's them.

you cant say that with many other marquee's and brands.

the 2015 impreza is a really nice looking car and the 2015 car will still be highly regarded as we get to 2025 like our blob eyes now.

The classic is what 20 years old now? look at the majority of other cars which are 20 years old, Subaru impreza is a strong brand and isn't going no where.
Yes but you are talking a new car, only those with huge bank accounts would modify one from scratch as you would lose the warranty, and we are yet to see if they have freeze dried the chocolate engine

I agree, its an awesome looking machine, although I would go as to say its slightly underwheeled but Imprezas always have been.

Its a niche market, they will sell some, but it might still be the end for the STI in England I feel at the price point it is at.

Originally Posted by Shaun
I'd tend to agree with you, on which would tend to gain the greater exposure out of those four you mention. Part of the STI appeal has been about the rally inspired look, and in this day and age of boring styling.... it certainly stands out.

Whether the 2015 is "really nice looking" is subjective. Some will say (for the reasons stated above) that it looks awful, whilst others will say it's "OK" or "AWESOME!!". I actually like the look of this model.

The Impreza brand has taken a major battering, which has in part been the outcome of not being part of WRC, let alone any issues known with the cars themselves. This led to the point that IM withdrew the STI from the UK. Thankfully that decision has now been reversed, so let's hope they continue to grow the brand further.

IMO the STI is yesterdays news. Subaru need to reinvigorate the brand, as the way things are going with nearly every other marque raging forward, they will disappear in to an even more niche market than they currently hold.

I would love to return back to this marque at some point, but for me, they will need to do some forward thinking to persuade me to do that. Personally I feel this will be difficult for Subaru..... they are a relative small manufacturer and I suspect that one of the main reasons why they continue to use "dirty" technology, is that they don't have the funds to develop the next generation. It would be sad if this seals their fate.

The problem is, if you rest on your laurels too much during the good times, when you need to drive things forward again it becomes quite a task to undertake.

Let's hope they already have the "next development" waiting in the wings.
Definitely agree, the press and marketing around the STI is terrible. There is no excitement, no hype, Nissan managed it with the GTR, I dont know why Subaru UK feel they can still sell them on history alone.
Old 28 January 2015, 01:42 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Whilst we think that the WRX/STI is such a corner stone of their performance line-up, Subaru clearly don't see this, or they are trying to get away with as much or as little as possible (in respect of development, either doing it or not). IMO that is clear with what both you and I have alluded to.
Old 28 January 2015, 02:11 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
Whilst we think that the WRX/STI is such a corner stone of their performance line-up, Subaru clearly don't see this, or they are trying to get away with as much or as little as possible (in respect of development, either doing it or not). IMO that is clear with what both you and I have alluded to.
Good point. There is also the issue with the level of technology available on the car being quite low, - not neccesarily a bad thing, but with reduced levels of kit, and an interior that cannot match the German rivals, I would what they truly hope to achieve with the new STI. America, will be all over it due to having states that cars like this can actually be used, and a cost that is more bearable in terms of purchase and running costs, but I just don't see it in the UK. Which is a real shame. I also noticed that Subaru in the states has done a lot more press around the release.

The resale value of one of these in comparison to a Golf Type R and Audi RS3 will also be shocking, so are Subaru hoping that former glories will warrant buyers losing a lot of cash just be owning one?
Old 29 January 2015, 02:22 AM
mslorach
Scooby Regular

Has anyone got a link to the initial long term review or is it paper only? I cant find it on the Evo website.
Old 29 January 2015, 03:28 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mslorach
Has anyone got a link to the initial long term review or is it paper only? I cant find it on the Evo website.
Funnily enough you have to buy the magazine to read the review, it's how magazines make their money
Old 29 January 2015, 03:41 AM
mslorach
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough you have to buy the magazine to read the review, it's how magazines make their money
Hilarious.
Funnily enough I'm familiar with the concept of how a magazine works, nowadays some magazines even utilize this new-fangled internet thing and post stuff online, for example: the rest of the their long term tests, its pretty impressive but I don't think it will catch on.
I don't buy Evo or subscribe to it so just wondered if it was available online, thank you for enlightening me to the ways of the media and publishing industry.
Old 29 January 2015, 03:44 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Hilarious.
Funnily enough I'm familiar with the concept of how a magazine works, nowadays some magazines even utilize this new-fangled internet thing and post stuff online, for example: the rest of the their long term tests, its pretty impressive but I don't think it will catch on.
I don't buy Evo or subscribe to it so just wondered if it was available online, thank you for enlightening me to the ways of the media and publishing industry.
Happy to help
Old 29 January 2015, 07:48 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Here it is for you:

Originally Posted by Long Term Test WRX STI Chocolate Engine Edition
Car looks average, goes quite well, interior is tat.... engine blew up... next car please
There you are, saved you the cost of the mag
Old 29 January 2015, 08:23 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Subaru are doing well in the UK with the other models so could be just putting the STI out there as a feeler.
I reckon we will see a PART return of what we used to see although I think that market place has gone forever.
I've not driven it but what big saloon car is there at that price with awd and x amount of bhp, comparing it to a golf at the same price with the same power a bit more equipment but less car isn't like for like, nevertheless, IMO, doesn't seem so bad when compared, at least you wont see one everywhere you look like the golf. (not quite so much with the golf r)
Old 29 January 2015, 09:03 AM
Dibbles00
Scooby Regular

Would make a huge difference to the appearance of the interior if they used some alcantara and different softer touch material for the dash. Personally, I quite like the look of the new STI; it still looks different compared to most modern cars.
Old 29 January 2015, 09:46 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carnut
Subaru are doing well in the UK with the other models so could be just putting the STI out there as a feeler.
I reckon we will see a PART return of what we used to see although I think that market place has gone forever.
I've not driven it but what big saloon car is there at that price with awd and x amount of bhp, comparing it to a golf at the same price with the same power a bit more equipment but less car isn't like for like, nevertheless, IMO, doesn't seem so bad when compared, at least you wont see one everywhere you look like the golf. (not quite so much with the golf r)
The cost of putting a car into a market is astronomical, I doubt very much that investment would be deemed as a 'feeler'.

Originally Posted by Dibbles00
Would make a huge difference to the appearance of the interior if they used some alcantara and different softer touch material for the dash. Personally, I quite like the look of the new STI; it still looks different compared to most modern cars.
A simple set of Recaros would be nice and at that price point, expected.
Old 29 January 2015, 09:50 AM
Dibbles00
Scooby Regular

A simple set of Recaros would be nice and at that price point, expected.
Yes, that would be nice. Would be great if someone from Subaru was reading this and took your comments on board. Then the facelift would perhaps come with them as standard.

Quick Reply: Evo Magazine New Long Termer - 2014 WRX STI