Oil Pump

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2015, 03:18 PM
BenGTTurbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pump

Hi,

Looking for a new oil pump for my engine build. Was just wondering can anybody tell me if there is any difference between the Cosworth, Roger Clarke and API oil pumps other then the brands and prices ?

Thanks
Old 26 January 2015, 03:25 PM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

I believe api and rcm are oem pumps but adapted in house. Not sure about cosworth though.
Old 26 January 2015, 03:34 PM
BenGTTurbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markfey
I believe api and rcm are oem pumps but adapted in house. Not sure about cosworth though.
Thats what i thought. So the "adapted" part of the oil pump was the weak part of the oem pump i take it?

In theory the RCM and API are more or less the same just different brands and price tags ??
Old 26 January 2015, 04:01 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

some of the Cosworth ones have a little "blueprinting" at best and are basically badge engineered.........not value for money IMO

pretty sure the API ones dont have any internals replaced but are 'worked & polished' - never used one so cant comment fully

the RCM ones tend to have modified internal components as well as extra working and IMO are the "best" if going for an aftermarket/modified pump and something we have used and supplied for 10yrs+ - we have a very close association with RCM and can always offer deals using the benefit of our buying power............
Old 26 January 2015, 04:07 PM
BenGTTurbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
some of the Cosworth ones have a little "blueprinting" at best and are basically badge engineered.........not value for money IMO

pretty sure the API ones dont have any internals replaced but are 'worked & polished' - never used one so cant comment fully

the RCM ones tend to have modified internal components as well as extra working and IMO are the "best" if going for an aftermarket/modified pump and something we have used and supplied for 10yrs+ - we have a very close association with RCM and can always offer deals using the benefit of our buying power............

Thanks for your reply. The API also has the same sort of spec (according to there website) as the RCM oil pump but i think i will probably go with the Roger Clarke. Thanks again
Old 26 January 2015, 05:27 PM
BenGTTurbo
Scooby Regular

Also could anyone tell me what's best to go for? The 10mm or the 12mm ?

Thanks
Old 26 January 2015, 06:32 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Don't make the usual mistake of going for the biggest pump available, it depends on your engine spec, ie, bearing clearances, avc's heads or not, oil cooler, etc, otherwise the pump will only be creating further heat working against the prv.
Old 26 January 2015, 06:45 PM
BenGTTurbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT
Don't make the usual mistake of going for the biggest pump available, it depends on your engine spec, ie, bearing clearances, avc's heads or not, oil cooler, etc, otherwise the pump will only be creating further heat working against the prv.
So the standard size of 10mm would be fine on a ej207 with forged pistons, rods, uprated bearings, head gaskets ect running no more then 400hp using my standard ej20 sti heads ?
Old 26 January 2015, 06:46 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BenGTTurbo
So the standard size of 10mm would be fine on a ej207 with forged pistons, rods, uprated bearings, head gaskets ect running no more then 400hp using my standard ej20 sti heads ?

Whats your bearing clearances with uprated bearings?
Old 26 January 2015, 06:55 PM
BenGTTurbo
Scooby Regular

Whats your bearing clearances with uprated bearings?
Whatever size the standard acl race bearings are as the crank is not being ground ?
Old 26 January 2015, 07:02 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BenGTTurbo
Whatever size the standard acl race bearings are as the crank is not being ground ?

So you have not measured them, or not yet built it ?, if they are to std tolerances as per Subaru guidelines, then a 10mm pump is more than adequate, if larger, especially on the b/e allowing for cooling in uprated engines, my choice would be 11mm.
Old 26 January 2015, 07:15 PM
BenGTTurbo
Scooby Regular

So you have not measured them, or not yet built it ?, if they are to std tolerances as per Subaru guidelines, then a 10mm pump is more than adequate, if larger, especially on the b/e allowing for cooling in uprated engines, my choice would be 11mm.
The engine has not been built yet. I was gonna order the oil pump ready but ill hold off and wait for measurements. Thanks