ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

what should I offer?

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2014, 10:59 AM
fiestaturbo1984
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what should I offer?

A guy local is selling an r reg silver classic with about 106k. Ita down as a t2000 but is a pre face lift.
Has sti7 seats, gash front and rear lights, full 3 inch stainless system.

Paint needs work however. Rust on rear arches and a pillar and boot is crazed.

Any idea as to what it would be worth? Want to make an offer that would be reasonable for the condition.

Thanks
Old 20 December 2014, 11:07 AM
Raptorman
Scooby Regular

I reckon around £500-700

The rusty rear arches will be the killer.

No doubt the seller will think its worth a lot more
but it isn't, keep your money and take your time
finding the right car.

Last edited by Raptorman; 20 December 2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 20 December 2014, 11:10 AM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

See if you can get a price on the arches first as it could be quite a shock or maybe fingers crossed not to bad.
Old 20 December 2014, 11:12 AM
Raptorman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johned
See if you can get a price on the arches first as it could be quite a shock or maybe fingers crossed not to bad.
It will cost more getting the arches fixed and body re sprayed
than it will ever be worth.
Old 20 December 2014, 11:13 AM
fiestaturbo1984
Scooby Regular

He had it up for £1400 and I think would accept a grand. I'm not after a show car, this will be my 7th impreza if I get it, just thought it would be a cheapish toy for a few months over winter and then sell it on again next summer.
Old 20 December 2014, 11:20 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

plenty around bud, as said dont buy the first rusty shed you see there are lots to choose from. i,d be wanting one with solid arches for a start as the work involved to put them right is costly. cars with gash lights etc point to an owner that is not an enthusiast and cars with decat exhausts, induction kits and the like not mapped in will prob be asking for trouble down the line. if your budget is low save up a bit more as bargain basement impreza,s will be cheap for a reason and buying a bad example could burn a big hole in your pocket.
Old 20 December 2014, 11:26 AM
fiestaturbo1984
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4
plenty around bud, as said dont buy the first rusty shed you see there are lots to choose from. i,d be wanting one with solid arches for a start as the work involved to put them right is costly. cars with gash lights etc point to an owner that is not an enthusiast and cars with decat exhausts, induction kits and the like not mapped in will prob be asking for trouble down the line. if your budget is low save up a bit more as bargain basement impreza,s will be cheap for a reason and buying a bad example could burn a big hole in your pocket.
Cheers bud. There isn't really a budget as there isn't really a need for me to have a 4th car at home. It was more a case of well if it's reasonably priced, then I could smoke around in it for a few months without losing much money when I come to sell it.

The chap admits to not being an enthusiast as he is 50 and just wanted one 5 years back.

Not sure on the map side of things, there is a powers sticker on the maf although this could mean sod all
Old 20 December 2014, 11:27 AM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fiestaturbo1984
He had it up for £1400 and I think would accept a grand. I'm not after a show car, this will be my 7th impreza if I get it, just thought it would be a cheapish toy for a few months over winter and then sell it on again next summer.
Wouldn't go near it for a grand. As stated arches to sort properly, you are looking upwards of £800 to fix for deffo and that's being conservative. My old classic had rusty arches had it sorted for £500 or so I thought 8 months later it was back and cost me another £300 to cover and still sold it with bubbling arches (just started coming back again). So the car alone with just sorting the arches I should think you would be looking at easy £1800 money you will never get back, but if you are ok with that you crack on mate it's personal choice, But as stated I would wait for a better example.
Old 20 December 2014, 11:34 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

if you just want a cheap winter hack then it will be fine i guess, just dont expect to get your money back on it! if its as rough as you say then it either needs money spent to make it re- sellable or you will have to bank on someone like yourself wanting a cheap hack.
Old 20 December 2014, 11:54 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4
They aren't 'plenty' around these days, well, examples in good condition at least. If I had a good example, sub 100k with no rust, I'd want at least £2k for it.
Old 20 December 2014, 12:02 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Yea if your looking for a cheap run about then why not. If you sell it in 12 months you might get your money back.

Believe rear arches cost bout £250 a side as been said. The rust will need to be cut out, i tried rubbing mine down and rust proof and filling came back in 6 months gutted
Old 20 December 2014, 12:11 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

well i,ve seen loads of cheaper examples going for the 1500- 2k mark. most are dogs yes, but thats why i said look around you might find a turd that will polish up for that money. i,ve seen cars at 2k with decent mods as well fitted with esl boards remapped etc.
Old 20 December 2014, 12:26 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Earlier this year saw a 2000 turbo with 49k on the clock selling for £2500 complete bargain one owner etc why i didn't but it i don't know. So they are out there
Old 20 December 2014, 12:34 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

My dad had his arches repaired on his bug WRX cost £400 a side repaired and painted and blended in with the rest of the paint, so take this into account when buying from someone who describes there Impreza with "just a little surface rust on arches, a easy job, wont cost much"