Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Tyre Recommendations for 400+ Club

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2014, 09:08 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tyre Recommendations for 400+ Club

Not happy with my Vredestein Ultrac Vortis, very different to the old Sessantas, so looking for something that behaves a little more similarly; interested to hear from owners of higher powered (400+ pls) cars on what you'd recommend.
I've added some makes here, but if you would strongly recommend others please post a reply. Thanks in advance (and before the spelling police point it out yes I mis-spelled Potenza but I can't edit the poll)

Last edited by MrNoisy; 12 January 2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 16 December 2014, 09:23 AM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running federal rsr,s on my hawk ! £76 for 234/45/17 delivered , can't complain ! Just did cadwell park and found them awsome .

Maz
Old 16 December 2014, 09:35 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Track day tyre though ain't they mate? I want something that won't fly off in the wet as well - Camskill shows them with a wet grip rating of E (although the Vorti's are shown as B or something so my trust in that indicator is not what it was!)
Old 16 December 2014, 09:36 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just bought a set of NS2rs (430bhp) can't say what they're like as not fitted yet, but I bought them on recommendation.
Old 16 December 2014, 09:36 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

I'm with you on the vredstein , they are on my summer Rota's I have no confidence in them , car feels very lairy , traction is there but feedback & stability is truly weird .. Got my OEM 17's on at mo for winter running rain sport 3 & to be honest it's let go a few times but the feedback is there so I'm fine till spring .. When the 18's come back on I'll be looking else where also . So very interested in recommendations
Old 16 December 2014, 09:46 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by jazzyjembreaze
I'm with you on the vredstein , they are on my summer Rota's I have no confidence in them , car feels very lairy , traction is there but feedback & stability is truly weird .. Got my OEM 17's on at mo for winter running rain sport 3 & to be honest it's let go a few times but the feedback is there so I'm fine till spring .. When the 18's come back on I'll be looking else where also . So very interested in recommendations
It's good to hear I'm not the only one.
Last night it felt like the car scrabbled for traction in third gear going up a hill...in the dry, and that was just on vpower!

Like you I'm also about to change over to winters on my 17's but yes mine feels the exact same - the wheel feels overly light and the car feels like it's sliding around - how it got the scores it did in the various ratings and tests I have NO idea - all I can think is maybe it suits heavier cars?
Old 16 December 2014, 09:48 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by cookstar
I've just bought a set of NS2rs (430bhp) can't say what they're like as not fitted yet, but I bought them on recommendation.
Let me know how you get on
Maz, was any of your track day in damp / wet? How did they perform?
Old 16 December 2014, 11:14 AM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

As an all rounder on a ROAD car.
Very good at everything, master of nothing
The Goodyears no question.

Dry weather once warmed up the Federal RSR are more capable than the Goodyears.
So a better ROAD and TRACK tyre in dry conditions
But cold and in with a lot of water about they are not so good they break away earlier.

Both are progressive on the limits of grip, which is the main factor

(I have pushed both tyres regularly over the limits of grip in a near 500hp classic on alpine roads and on track)

Last edited by Steve Whitehorn; 16 December 2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 16 December 2014, 12:25 PM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrNoisy
Cold and only damp I would say ! I use my hawkeye all year round and just have to remember that I am running semi, s lol ! I have ran verdi,s ultrac before and found them awsome all rounders !
Old 16 December 2014, 12:32 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm running Hankook evo V12's on mine, seem to cope with over 600bhp pretty well so far
Old 16 December 2014, 01:00 PM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

Vredi Ultrac Sessantas and Vortis that you have fitted are quite different.

Look at some reviews (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk):

"I run a modded Impreza that's just shy of 450bhp so don't tend to skimp in the tyre department!
Having been a huge fan of Vredestein's Ultrac Sessanta I went for a set of Vorti's thinking they had a similar pattern to Continental SportContact 5's which were also a cracking tyre.

Unfortunately, there is a problem with these tyres, mainly in the wet, and the car feels skittish and has a tendency to run very wide when cornering.
Wet braking is also not great. I had the car slide sideways when cornering (not aggressively) on a corner I've taken at similar speeds on a set of Hankook Evo Ventus's.

I suspect that on the rear alone they'd be okay, but I won't be using these again on the front of my car."

"Having had Vredestein Sessantas on a previous car, and being impressed with them, I thought I'd give the Vorti a try. The car is highly modified, with 600bhp+ at the wheels, but I'm getting less grip from these than I did from the P Zeros which it came from the factory with unfortunately.

A shame, as I really wanted to like them, but they've made the car practically undriveable in the wet and, even on dry roads, it's a challenge. As for the wear, not really done enough miles yet, though I'm not expecting more than 6,000 miles from them.

Goodyear Eagles next I think, on a recommendation."

I have Sessantas and they were definitely better than Pzero Neros that were on the car originally.
Old 16 December 2014, 01:18 PM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrNoisy
Cold and only damp I would say ! I use my hawkeye all year round and just have to remember that I am running semi, s lol ! I have ran verdi,s ultrac before and found them awsome all rounders !
Old 16 December 2014, 05:05 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by tjmatt
Vredi Ultrac Sessantas and Vortis that you have fitted are quite different.

Look at some reviews (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk):

"I run a modded Impreza that's just shy of 450bhp so don't tend to skimp in the tyre department!
Having been a huge fan of Vredestein's Ultrac Sessanta I went for a set of Vorti's thinking they had a similar pattern to Continental SportContact 5's which were also a cracking tyre.

Unfortunately, there is a problem with these tyres, mainly in the wet, and the car feels skittish and has a tendency to run very wide when cornering.
Wet braking is also not great. I had the car slide sideways when cornering (not aggressively) on a corner I've taken at similar speeds on a set of Hankook Evo Ventus's.

I suspect that on the rear alone they'd be okay, but I won't be using these again on the front of my car."

"Having had Vredestein Sessantas on a previous car, and being impressed with them, I thought I'd give the Vorti a try. The car is highly modified, with 600bhp+ at the wheels, but I'm getting less grip from these than I did from the P Zeros which it came from the factory with unfortunately.

A shame, as I really wanted to like them, but they've made the car practically undriveable in the wet and, even on dry roads, it's a challenge. As for the wear, not really done enough miles yet, though I'm not expecting more than 6,000 miles from them.

Goodyear Eagles next I think, on a recommendation."

I have Sessantas and they were definitely better than Pzero Neros that were on the car originally.
I may either go back to Sessantas or move to F1's.
I had Hankook Evo Ventus V12's before this but felt they weren't very progressive as they started to reach their limit in comparison to other tyres I've had.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 12 January 2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 16 December 2014, 08:34 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

I've had Hankook v12 evos on my old Type R and rated them highly both wet and dry. I've just put REO70s on my Widetrack STI not really had a chance to try them out properly.
Maybe the the Hankooks are more suited to classics with it being a lighter car?
Old 16 December 2014, 09:25 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

I've ticked other as I'm using Michelin pilot sport 3...

Was told they didn't do sport 2 anymore???
Old 16 December 2014, 09:47 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Although I'm not in the 400 club i would highly recommend the Goodyear.
I find them very predictable in the wet with excellent dry grip too.

There is noticeable flex in the sidewalls but I find this gives you a more oe feel to running 18's and I really can't tell the difference between my turini's with the goodyears on and standard STI wheels with pilots on.

Siv
Old 16 December 2014, 10:01 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

RE070's are shìt in the winter months imho, got stuck with them last year and a little yaris diesel on budget tyres rolled on by

I've also just bought some NS-2R to have a crack with when the weather warms up a little, good wet rating on them from memory as well.
Old 16 December 2014, 10:46 PM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

Ive been Running Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 2s for 9 months.
I find there a lot softer than the Re070 Bridgestones and ride quality also a lot better.
So maybe not good if your pushing your car hard and want good response.

But wet weather grip and braking is really good and also very progressive you can easily feel how much grip there is available.

Dry weather is also as good as the Bridgestones.
Also not experienced any tramlining.
Only bad point is the tyre noise seems a lot louder.

Last edited by InTurbo; 16 December 2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 16 December 2014, 10:58 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im currently on a new set of Toyo Proxes and they are great in the dry and no issues in the wet either. The only others i would recommend from experience are the Hankook evo v12's, prob my favourite tyre to date.
Old 17 December 2014, 06:54 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Dubzy
Im currently on a new set of Toyo Proxes and they are great in the dry and no issues in the wet either. The only others i would recommend from experience are the Hankook evo v12's, prob my favourite tyre to date.
Thanks mate but as above the Ventuses were not good enough imho, I found they were not progressive and broke traction with little warning compared to Sessantas or Continentals.
Proxes are not great when worn close to the limit - I had a part worn set of T1S's on my rota's that I got off another set of wheels and man alive they didn't like wet weather, but that's probably why they barely feature in tyre tests now! See what you think when you're 6-7000 miles in
Old 17 December 2014, 06:56 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Thanks everyone for your input so far. Looks like it's going to be a toss up between the Goodyears and the Sessantas.
Old 17 December 2014, 10:36 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Yokohama AD08's just be careful when it's cold.

Surprisingly good in the wet
Old 17 December 2014, 12:46 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

Hey Giles.

I currently use the sessanta on mines and find them pretty good in both wet and dry. Felt previous toyos (too soft), RE070 to be too firm and uncomfortable.

The sessanta are by far best compared to the ones ive used however i wouldnt mind giving the eagle f1 asymmetric a go next.

Both the sessanta and goodyear f1 are dead cheap on camskills at present.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20141217_124532.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	18209
Old 17 December 2014, 12:48 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NS2Rs have some proper voodoo shizz going on. Amazing in the wet, way more amazing than they should be. RSRs are also superb in the wet.
The Subaru currently wears Michelin Pilot SuperSports, great tyres but at £250 a corner, i stilll dont think theyre any better than the NS2R.

Up to you mate, but i'll never use another street tyre, track tyres are so much more stable and predicatble. When the Michelins are dead, ill fit NS2Rs to the Subaru.
Old 17 December 2014, 01:10 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

They sure are , however we are into winter now & a soft compound sticky wouldn't be my choice . Come spring yes that's what I'm goin to commit to .. I just couldn't bring myself to using a sticky now , back in 99 I had a off in such a situation 70mph long sweeping left dry road but water flowing down embankment from Forrest .
I'm on rain sport 3 at mo on 17's
When the snow arrives travelling to work I'll be on 4 space savers with snow tyres & chains
Old 17 December 2014, 02:46 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Previously ia had 3x sets of Federal RSRs that i drove on daily 356 days a year, rain sleet and snow. They were superb, and ill continue to drive on track based rubber throught the winter.
Old 17 December 2014, 05:55 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Frayz, are these the ones you're talking about?
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m118b0s669..._Noise%3A_71dB

I'm tempted; they're not exactly cheap for the brand, but I just want predictable and good stick to the road tendencies that won't fling me off the side in the wet!

The Goodyear and Vredestein look like solid options; I have done 2 sets of Sessantas in the past and found them good solid and dependable in all weathers, and several guys in my local club run them now too, so I may just go back to them - better the devil you know and all that - the Vortis were my "let's try something new" moment and I suffered a bloody huge fright with them that I would care to forget.

Like Chet says, both are < £90 a corner at the moment, so not a bad time to buy potentially.

I've told the missus she can get me 2 for Christmas and I'll buy the other 2 - better to have something you need!

Last edited by MrNoisy; 12 January 2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 17 December 2014, 08:45 PM
scooblet
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Running NS2R on the road and track. The grip in the dry is awesome!! Not driven in the rain yet.. Done trackday at castle combe and they were mint!

Also a great price imo.

Running 407bh

I also rate sessantas too.
Old 17 December 2014, 09:06 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I'm enjoying this thread, looks like I made a good choice with the NS2r
Old 17 December 2014, 09:34 PM
scooblet
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by cookstar
I'm enjoying this thread, looks like I made a good choice with the NS2r
You have mate, they will be my next set after i have worn these down.

Quick Reply: Tyre Recommendations for 400+ Club