Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Paypal card reader

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2014, 12:55 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Paypal card reader

You've bought some parts for your pride and joy, maybe off a Subaru used parts trader, the trader excepts card payments

When you arrive and pay he presents you will this (picture below)

Is it just me? or are you going to tell him to do one.

They look dodgy, who's to say fraudsters won't make a dodgy app etc etc

Why do paypal waste our time with this rubbish and provide better service
Old 23 September 2014, 01:45 PM
scoobyman2012
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just pay with cash if collecting parts
Old 23 September 2014, 01:57 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

But some people don't have the cash and want to use there credit cards, so may pick a trader who excepts cards

Originally Posted by scoobyman2012
Just pay with cash if collecting parts
Old 23 September 2014, 03:45 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anybody can have one of those by converting you account to a premium account...then you ring up a bedroom ebay seller and give him all your card details inc you cvc number and address and name....

here comes the next level of scamming...
Old 23 September 2014, 03:50 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Its mean't for face to face transactions, you need the card to input it into the reader, that is connected to your phone by wireless. Using the paypal app on your phone.

To be honest i think it looks like something someone has made themselves
Old 23 September 2014, 04:05 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xline
What's this got to do with anything?

It's a card reader. You insert your card into it to conduct a CUSTOMER PRESENT EMV transaction that's PIN verified. The CVC/CV2 and address/postcode numerics are the CUSTOMER NOT PRESENT checks!
Learn before speaking.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader

keyed transactions

I have one , manual input is possible.
Old 23 September 2014, 04:43 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

No different to any other credit card transaction. I fail to see the problem. I know more than one business that use that system successfully. The usual credit card protections are still in place.
Old 23 September 2014, 04:53 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Xline you really do make this easy.

To have keyed credit card transactions you have to have a merchant bank account. This is a level of security, a bedroom ebayer seller cant have one of these, really..without being properly registered or jumping through more hoops than PayPal require.

The point is, that my comment about the future of ebay scamming is, that ANYONE can have one of these, and the so called ebay stores, which are boys selling items out of their mums spare room can have all your details. They easily make purchases with there details by using them online or ringing up to place orders and asking for alternative delivery address's.

As PayPal is the preferred ebay payment system (hence destroying your counter device Xline), this opens up the doors to many scams from people buying on ebay, the ringing up with their card details to be manually keyed.

As my comment was about Ebay, bieng that PayPal is an eBay company and eBays preferred, almost only method of payment, this is the point.

If you dont think its a problem Xline - tell you what ill sell you one of my Genome exhausts for 1p, you ring me up with your card details - and then lets see what I do from then on (granted this is hypothetical as it would be theft and from the mentally handicapped making it far worse) but would be an interesting point

Last edited by Trinity; 23 September 2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 23 September 2014, 04:59 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

duh. Jesus, you really arent that bright.

The scam is by using your card details you just gave me, elsewhere, nothing to do with payPal.

"Hey Trinity heres my card details, address and cvc number"

"Thanks"

"Hi Dixons Online, Im Trinity, im buying a Macbook with these card details, heres my address and here is where i want it delivered"

Granted, credit cards will refund fraud, but banks and debit cards are a lot harder.

I know you are getting on a bit dude, so im happy yo educate you in terms of technology and such, just drop me a PM, £50 an hour lesson
Old 23 September 2014, 05:02 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Bless you.
Old 23 September 2014, 05:11 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

If thats the case, i'll charge you my standard day rate of £500 to come and help you out, give me a shout if you need it, got a few free days this month

Yep 3DS is good, but not everyone has it yet, and it isnt needed on phone keyed transactions, so until this is all addressed, then the new scam will continue. If you want to wake up to an empty bank account, your direct debits failing and having aLL that hassle to deal with to eventually get your money back...they I guess, there isn't a problem with it all as you say.

Me personally? much better things to do with my time and plenty of world problems to worry more about
Old 23 September 2014, 05:25 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

The scam is not new, but it is opening it up to a whole new market, which , the point of my thread (which you missed multiple times), the

BEDROOM SELLERS on EBAY

Whereas you may not use ebay and are cautious, many are not, there are plenty of bedroom sellers on ebay racking up huge sales per day. Not all of them are going to be trustworthy, especially as those details will sell for a lot to the right person. A friend of mine sells from his garage, and he gets people wanting to pay over the phone all the time.

Granted if wouldn't take long for a link to made if the person is continually doing it, but you can set up ebay account for the sole purpose of payments over the phones, then disapear, and none of those ebay details need to be real, if you know what you are doing.

Also PayPal do not require a name on the bank account attached (VBA's even better)nor a real card, VCC's are perfect for that, it is VERY easy to have a stealth paypal account. Im not going to explain this to you as you won't be able to understand all the intricacies of it all - but if thats your job might be worth looking into it...no wonder fraud is still so easy and ever prevalent!
Old 23 September 2014, 05:31 PM
Darrell@Scoobyworx
Authorised Trader

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You do know the card reader doesn't store card details at all, neither does the iphone connected to it, so unless you write down the card number in front of the customer along with their 3 numbers on the back oh and have their address as well which they don't give you when paying by paypal here machine and iphone...................

lots of scaremongering not really needed

they do a job for small businesses simples.

We prefer our card machine supplied by cardsave lots of cheaper rates available and fully PCI complaint
Old 23 September 2014, 05:35 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Yes of course the scammer will write down all the info in pen and ink when given them on the phone as the reader dosent hold the info - scammers will know how it all works!, and they will need the cvc and the address to send the item what the customer are paying for.

You are a legit business Darrell, many aren't, this isnt scaremongering, this is reality as fraud and scamming as we know is massively on the rise and I think this is shown by the niavity of some peeps and the comments. Ah well, can't say I didn't warn y'all.
Old 23 September 2014, 05:38 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

That is a valid point, i'll give you that, but it dosent take much to take an account from nothing to full power selling with very little effort when you know what you are doing. You don't even need to physically sell anything....but again, its a whole other world and one kept for another thread probably not on this forum.
Old 23 September 2014, 05:42 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

I'll let you have that one
Old 23 September 2014, 07:40 PM
Darrell@Scoobyworx
Authorised Trader

They don't do customer not present transactions. It has to have the card inserted to process. !

Originally Posted by Trinity
Yes of course the scammer will write down all the info in pen and ink when given them on the phone as the reader dosent hold the info - scammers will know how it all works!, and they will need the cvc and the address to send the item what the customer are paying for.

You are a legit business Darrell, many aren't, this isnt scaremongering, this is reality as fraud and scamming as we know is massively on the rise and I think this is shown by the niavity of some peeps and the comments. Ah well, can't say I didn't warn y'all.
Old 23 September 2014, 07:44 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Maybe there are two types?

Last edited by Trinity; 23 September 2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 23 September 2014, 07:49 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

What do mean by that trinity, you've lost me?

As this device needs you and your card to be present before will work?

As PayPal is the preferred ebay payment system (hence destroying your counter device Xline), this opens up the doors to many scams from people buying on ebay, the ringing up with their card details to be manually keyed
Old 24 September 2014, 10:07 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I bought my car I actually paid the guy via PayPal from my phone. I must admit, it was very weird buying a car and no cash changing hands!
Old 24 September 2014, 10:26 AM
Darrell@Scoobyworx
Authorised Trader

Maybe there are two types?
When i looked at the paypal here machine/reader when it first was advertised it couldn't do customer not present transactions.

Maybe it now can.

But realistically its no different to the card machines shops use. It does a job same as them and if shop ones are hacked and modified then money card details can be taken just the same.
Old 24 September 2014, 10:28 AM
Darrell@Scoobyworx
Authorised Trader

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/...language=en-gb

Just checked and you can do customer not present transactions with it.
Old 24 September 2014, 12:40 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Well found, looks like you can then. Typical a PayPal Moderator not knowing how there own devices work.

Only problem i have is it looks cheap and fake, and doing it though someones phone just seems very dodgy. Were use to seeing machines look like this (picture below) Looks professional, i know this can be chipped and modified for fraud, but i just feel having your card reader run though a phone has the potential to make fraud more easier.

Last edited by jaygsi; 24 September 2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 24 September 2014, 03:02 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

and back to my initial point, the new world of eBay scamming will soon be unleashed
Old 24 September 2014, 03:12 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

You really can't be as stupid as you make out dude.

Yes, a scammer will pay an outlay to get a return, thats how scams work sometimes.
Old 24 September 2014, 03:21 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

If buying through Ebay why would you ever give anyone your credit card details? Just use the system in place Paypal.
Old 24 September 2014, 03:25 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xline
... and this virtual terminal has nothing to do with the card reader that this thread is about. The virtual terminal is a separate service that's been available for ages. So ... your statement of "the new world of eBay scamming will soon be unleashed" is pure crap because it has already been here for ages.

Do think things through before you're scaremongering for no reason at all.

You bung a bloke £50 down the pub for some hooky bit of kit. You don't setup a monthly contract with Paypal.
You REALLY are that stupid. Bless you. So up to now, you have not understood any of this thread at all, and admitted that you would'nt mind having your bank account raped (ALL THAT HASSLE) because 'you'll get it back from the bank'.

You do not grasp the concept of what has been explained to you whatsoever, its actually kinda funny to be honest. I guess its what happens when you get on a bit. But its good im here to help you out!

Once again - bedroom sellers, i.e ANYONE can now how a machine that takes credit card payments over the phone. Therefore people give all their details to this person, and then that person can do whatever they wish with the details. Sell them on to people who make replica cards, use them to purchase goods...there are so many possibiilites.

No scaremongering, just educating.

And not everyone has a dodgy bloke down the pub who can magic a card reader out of thin air, however the Paypal one, AGAIN, is accessible to anyone.

If you wish to not listen, then that is your call, but considering your supposed job, I think you should, as I said, give me a call, i'll happy put a day in to teach you old boys a few things.

Enjoy your trolling (300 of your posts are just that) , my work here is done

If buying through Ebay why would you ever give anyone your credit card details? Just use the system in place Paypal
I agree, but not everyone has PayPal accounts, or have been banned from PayPal or need to not use there stealth paypal accounts as they need it delivering to their home address..eg my pal gets calls for over the phone credit card payments all the time for ebay items. Just an example. Many other reasons.

Last edited by Trinity; 24 September 2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 24 September 2014, 03:35 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Oh dear. There just aren't any other words or expressions for it.

Send me a PM when you need some help on a job, i'll fit you in

Enjoy your day
Old 24 September 2014, 05:01 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Trinity i think what Xline is saying is, that receiving card payments over the phone is though paypal app, not the card reader.

And Xline, Trinity is i think just referring to the whole thing as being dodgy receiving card details false stop, hope i've got that right
Old 24 September 2014, 05:24 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Well it is bring card readers to the masses, i know anyone can get a card reader if they pay for it, but on found that out though looking into it for someone. Didn't know they were as easy as they are to get. But now paypal are advertising these readers, plus i'm sure someone is out there trying to make a fake app that will etc that will help people clone cards etc

I always pay with credit card anyway, as i believe your more protected than debit card, so if i do get scammed, it wouldn't worry me credit card will sort it.

Quick Reply: Paypal card reader