Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Hill Climb and Sprint RA Project thread eventually

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2015, 10:11 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not telling about full spec lol.

Bonnet vent off being painted so will be fitted when it comes back, thanks for the help with that one.
Old 15 January 2015, 11:13 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tease xxx

Look forward to seeing it fitted. You're very welcome.
Old 16 January 2015, 01:18 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the kind comments guys. Car is pretty much ready apart from a long list of want to do items. The need to do list is pretty short.
I have a few issues with getting the car running but Andy F is helping solve those which is greatly appreciated. Once that hurdle is out the way I need to get a side exit exhaust made and sort a leaking joint at the union between the uppipe and headers. After that its some DCCD wiring and testing. Work commitments are causing some issues but hopefully will be ready to attend the SIDC track day at the end of March if there are still spaces available.

I have a few bits off being painted at the minute including the bumper, it is the wrong colour so is being redone, I have a reverse vent for the bonnet being painted. This was custom made by Frayz.
Couple of pics of the bumper, you will notice a row of rivnuts along the bottom that's where the splitter bolts onto, that's all made just needs bolting on once the bumper comes back.

Engine bay was pretty much finished bar some bling still to go on but Graeme has suggested a few things cooling related items that I need to think about so there will be some changes but nothing major. The alternator is a spare as the regulator went on my shiny one so waiting on a diode pack for it. Catch can also has to be fitted and connected to the return to sump pipe you can see.

Old 16 January 2015, 10:31 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like you just about have it all sorted now Archie bet you will be glad to get it all fired up and running,engine bay looks sweet will be intresting to see the reverse scoop.
Old 17 January 2015, 02:28 PM
Cullenmin
Scooby Regular

Cant wait to see this car in action. You've put a lot if hard work and effort into the car Arch so hope it pays off.

Rich
Old 30 January 2015, 12:07 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gussy
Looks like you just about have it all sorted now Archie bet you will be glad to get it all fired up and running,engine bay looks sweet will be intresting to see the reverse scoop.
Originally Posted by Cullenmin
Cant wait to see this car in action. You've put a lot if hard work and effort into the car Arch so hope it pays off.

Rich
Thanks guys appreciate the comments.
Old 30 January 2015, 12:09 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Well last few days have seen a massive step forward, the engine now runs and the cams are broken in. Had some issues getting the car running but a huge thanks to Andy F for his help tweeking the start map and checking logs then emailing it to me. This is a massive hurdle out of the way, the car had to be run at 2500 revs for 20 mins to break the cams so map had to be pretty close.
Initially it didn't run but found a wiring issue causing it to run on 3 cylinders, easy fix and todays results put a smile back on my face. Link below to it running, it was funny had a neighbour come across to see what was going on, he said he couldn't hear his telly lol. To be fair it was loud :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWZK...ature=youtu.be

Bonnet scoop which Frayz custom made is now fitted and looking good. No one makes a reverse louvre type vent for a pre facelift bonnet so these are now impossible to get. ETS used to make them but they went out of business a few years ago so big thanks to Frayz top work again mate thanks.

Bumper is also back and splitter skirt fitted, rest of the undertray etc not yet fitted but just needs bolted onto the skirt.

I have also fitted the panels that I made to duct the air into the intercooler, these tooks hours to bend and shpe but worth it in the end, the pics don't really show them properly. They are made from aluminium but have been carbon dipped by locky. There is also one which runs along the bottom of the intercooler but doesn't show in pics.

Old 30 January 2015, 08:52 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

excellent news Arch...........
Old 30 January 2015, 09:31 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
excellent news Arch...........
Thanks Alyn really appreciate all your hard work and effort with the engine and also all the parts that I have phoned up for at the last minute couldn't have got this far without your help I can now see light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 30 January 2015, 12:37 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car

Spot on Arch main hurdle over with nice reverse scoop pity Frayz isnt doing them as I would have snapped his hand off for one like that whats next on the list to do ??
Old 30 January 2015, 01:42 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Looking superb Arch. Really starting to come together. Exciting times.
Old 30 January 2015, 02:13 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Frayz send me the mold and I will make a couple of reverse scoops if your too busy
Old 30 January 2015, 02:41 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by frayz
Looking superb Arch. Really starting to come together. Exciting times.
Lol I told you there was demand for them
Old 30 January 2015, 03:04 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arch
Lol I told you there was demand for them
I tried telling him Arch as soon as I saw he was making you a reverse scoop I asked……..
Old 30 January 2015, 03:16 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

I would imagine the time involved in making them would mean the price may be too high for some to pay. It then becomes pointless for someone to make them.
Old 30 January 2015, 08:17 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really pleased for you, that you're making progress, Archie. Good things come to those that wait, mate.
Old 31 January 2015, 07:32 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Arch/Gus,

The vent was vac formed from 4mm ABS and then reinforced with the strengthening centre rib.
Lets see how well it survives on Arches car first in a competition environment. I've no reason to believe it will be anything but perfect. Also there is a lot of time getting these right, time I don't currently have.
How much are people willing to reaslistically pay for something like this?
Old 01 February 2015, 04:51 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Frayz I have sent you a pm,TBH I would have thought there would be an interst for them as were your inner wing boxes a few years ago im sure it will more than survive Archies car in a competition environment
Old 02 February 2015, 07:04 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

You still doing those inner wing boxes Frayz?
Old 04 February 2015, 01:40 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx

Really pleased for you, that you're making progress, Archie. Good things come to those that wait, mate.
Thanks really appreciate that.
Old 04 February 2015, 01:31 PM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice motor.

Is the front bumper lip a manufacturers part or a custom made jobbie?

I made one for mine but have just got a universal style lip from Japanparts which I have yet to fit.

Paul
Old 04 February 2015, 02:15 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

It's custom made same as undertray, can't remember the company I got it from its a composite material, quite light but flexible enough to bend round the bumper.
Old 06 February 2015, 07:06 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

Love the front bumber
Old 15 February 2015, 03:47 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz_
Love the front bumber
Thanks it will look better again once the undettray is fitted.

Not got any updates at the minute as I am In Florida working for the whole of February so that is playing havoc with my plans but have managed to sort out dates when Inreturn to get the car into Meercat to get the side exit exhaust made and also a slot for Andy to map it so if all goes well I hope to be able to do some testing in March. Need to make a few inquiries to see what's possible in terms of track time.
Old 11 March 2015, 02:33 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

3 massive hurdles crossed in the last 7 days.
Huge thanks to Wullie down at Meercat, side exit exhaust done, no Gucci tail pipe tho as we suspect it may catch on the corner strips so went with a functional set up and see how it goes with the view to getting it redone in titanium once we know how it stands up.

Initial geometry done and a few minor issues found so a few changes needed so that I can get the best out of the car.

Most importantly a trip over to see Andy yesterday morning seen the car mapped with no major issues. We spoke about what I wanted from the car at this stage and decided to map it to a safe 1.9/2.0 bar for now and see how that performs at a track day later in the month. It will then be mapped for race fuel and the v power map tweeked to extract as much as possible. Car feels very very responsive and its definately a hold on job when the boost kicks in which feels almost straight away. No idea on power at the minute as we mapped it on the road but will map it on the Dyno for the race fuel map so it will be good to see what figures it makes but more importantly how the graph looks. Been a long haul and even had to do an all nighter on Monday night to make sure the car was ready, to say I was exhausted is an understatement.
Massive thanks to Graeme Jerame could not have got this far without his help, same for Alyn also Steven Darley for help and advice when no one else knew the answer he really is a top guy.
Old 11 March 2015, 09:24 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Nice one Arch,glad to see you have got it virtually sorted
Old 12 March 2015, 12:42 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Thanks Gus still some work too do but list is getting shorter and now looks manageable
Old 12 March 2015, 09:43 AM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Gus still some work too do but list is getting shorter and now looks manageable
Same here we had issues on mine last week on the rollers at Hypertek due to the AVCS solenoids not working for some reason Andy couldnt get the things to work to get the cams to advance so we had to cut the session short was hoping to get all my fuelling maps sorted v-power /20% meth/race fuel so its looking like the solenoids will need replaced so will have to order some new ones from Japan as there arnt any in the country ATM plus John has to finish some tidying up of the loom other than that mines nearly there.Will be intresting to see how your side exit has been fabbed up as mine is still a little bit low as when i drive the car on the trailer I need to add extra bits to the ramps as it just drags on the trailer as it goes off the ramps onto the flat on the trailer the other way round it would be to find some longer ramps
Old 13 March 2015, 08:58 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most importantly a trip over to see Andy yesterday morning seen the car mapped with no major issues. We spoke about what I wanted from the car at this stage and decided to map it to a safe 1.9/2.0 bar for now and see how that performs at a track day later in the month. It will then be mapped for race fuel and the v power map tweeked to extract as much as possible. Car feels very very responsive and its definately a hold on job when the boost kicks in which feels almost straight away. No idea on power at the minute as we mapped it on the road but will map it on the Dyno for the race fuel map so it will be good to see what figures it makes but more importantly how the graph looks. Been a long haul and even had to do an all nighter on Monday night to make sure the car was ready, to say I was exhausted is an understatement.
Massive thanks to Graeme Jerame could not have got this far without his help, same for Alyn also Steven Darley for help and advice when no one else knew the answer he really is a top guy.

Awesome update, Archie. On the home straight now, chuffed for you mate.

Glad yours is coming together as well, Gus.
Old 13 March 2015, 11:47 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gussy
Same here we had issues on mine last week on the rollers at Hypertek due to the AVCS solenoids not working for some reason Andy couldnt get the things to work to get the cams to advance so we had to cut the session short was hoping to get all my fuelling maps sorted v-power /20% meth/race fuel so its looking like the solenoids will need replaced so will have to order some new ones from Japan as there arnt any in the country ATM plus John has to finish some tidying up of the loom other than that mines nearly there.Will be intresting to see how your side exit has been fabbed up as mine is still a little bit low as when i drive the car on the trailer I need to add extra bits to the ramps as it just drags on the trailer as it goes off the ramps onto the flat on the trailer the other way round it would be to find some longer ramps
Gus the side exit has the box tucked up where the fuel tank would be and a 3" pipe running tucked right up against the sill but with the end oval to try and buy some height. I havnt had problems with the trailer with the exhaust but the ride height is till 20-25mm to high so that needs to be adjusted when the geometry is completed.

On the minus side I cant get the car on the trailer with the splitter skirt on so will need to reassess that once the car is lowered.

Quick Reply: Hill Climb and Sprint RA Project thread eventually