Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Blobeye Wagon WRX Type J Project :)

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2014, 12:45 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Blobeye Wagon WRX Type J Project :)

I thought I'd start a thread for my Wagon, as it's clear I will be keeping it a while and that means doing what is necessary to keep it tip top.

I've had the car 6 months now and it's very rough around the edges. I'll deal with that over time.

I've decided to christen the project the WRX Type J, as my name is obviously Jay and I will be adding my own touches to the car. It's currently PPP equipped.

I bought it as a stop gap after selling my BMW E60 535D M-Sport, but yet again owning a Subaru has got under my skin.

The car's name is actually George III. This stems from my first Scooby, a 93 WRX Wagon. It cost peanuts and was another stop gap car, but it started me on the path of Subaru ownership. Until this point, I had always preferred RWD cars, and had no intention of ever buying a Subaru, as they just "weren't for me"

Anyway, I named that car after George Foreman. It had done 140k, was being run on 95 RON fuel and was completely knackered. It was basically an old boxer that had gone on far longer than it ever should have!

The second was a Hawk STi Spec-D. The best car I've owned, period. Took it to the 'Ring as part of a 3000 mile Road trip around Europe. It was an amazing holiday on a fantastic car. It had 115k on it when I picked it up for £5.5k from its supplying dealer, who had taken it in PX. I travelled all the way to Southampton from Leeds for that car.... Gone, but never forgotten.

Anyhow, onto the Blob. It needs a few small dents and marks sorting out at some point and the bottom half of the car has some kind of protective coating on it that has started to look a bit tatty in places. I'm not sure what to do with this yet.

Immediate plans are to add some STi wheels and brakes, all of which I have now purchased. Hopefully it will all be here before the weekend. I have an STi up pipe to go on too. I've also fitted a GFB BOV and a Perrin short ram intake. I love the versatility of the Wagon and I can see myself dropping in an STi lump and box at some point as I'd be loathe to lose the Wagon's practicality. Suspension mods are also planned and it will likely get BC coilovers and there's a set of alloy lower arms on the way.

No decent pics yet, but here it is:

Last edited by Jay Cartay; 22 October 2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 22 October 2014, 01:34 PM
walsallboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice car mate Same as mine !
Old 22 October 2014, 01:57 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you have a few mods lined-up then! Love my blob wagon. It's the first estate I've owned and can see why people are so hooked on performance cars with a bit of extra practicality thrown in. I've had several sets of wheels and tyres in the back with the seats down, you can't do that in a saloon.
Old 22 October 2014, 03:10 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys

I'm going to spend far more than the car is worth in the long run I think! But yeah, lots of plans. Presuming our house purchase goes through OK, there's a wall we want to knock down so I will need something for tip runs..... You can't do that with a saloon either!
Old 22 October 2014, 05:20 PM
walsallboy
Scooby Regular

Mate send me your number and il whattsap some photos of mine .heres mine 07944572965
Old 23 October 2014, 07:25 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by walsallboy
Mate send me your number and il whattsap some photos of mine .heres mine 07944572965
Will do mate. Always nice to get a nit of inspiration

I forgot to mention, I'm really glad I bought the Brembos, as I was going to just stick some standard sized front discs and pads on for now to keep me going until the right set of wheels came up to fit the bigger brakes.

The night before I went to fit them, a set of STi wheels became available. I bought them, but was going to fit my bits anyway, as I hadn't yet bought the rear calipers at that point.

Took the passenger side front to bits (although the discs has such a huge lip, I couldn't get the caliper off immediately) and found that the piston seals on the rear side of the caliper were destroyed and the circlips that hold them in place were just moving around freely on each piston.....

That was the cue to spend lots more money and buy the rears, the handbrake shoes and the bigger front discs. Car is laid up now until I can take care of it.
Old 23 October 2014, 07:39 AM
walsallboy
Scooby Regular

Sound mate !! Ive but brembos on mine with bc coilovers and some nice 18s! Its Got the PPP pack on but Ive Got the bits now to Make it about 320 ish !!! Turbo ,injectors and all the other bits !! Oh Sri acoplamiento to !! Got a sti bumper but Not painted it yet ! Not sure on the wings yet !!
Old 23 October 2014, 10:42 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

How do you find your rides on BC's? With it being a daily drive, I am a little worried about making it too harsh. Got an MR2 roadster for more hardcore stuff
Old 23 October 2014, 11:20 AM
taylor85
Scooby Regular

nice! i likie wagons too, I went along the Spec route too, I needed to covera slight scratch temporarily so i named it SPEC W (W for wagon!)
Old 23 October 2014, 12:14 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wagons rule.
Old 23 October 2014, 12:29 PM
walsallboy
Scooby Regular

The bc are Great !! Rided Fine Ive be to germany and round the track and back no problem at all !!!
Old 26 October 2014, 11:05 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Small update, started on with the Brembo conversion this weekend. Braided lines to go on the rear too.

Unfortunately I haven't yet completed the job, which is a major blow as I now have to use another car tomorrow which I'd rather not.

I've got the fronts on, fitted one of the rear braided lines and that's it right now. I had to go to a football match yesterday and a family meal today so my weekend time has been extremely limited!

The front already had braided lines for some reason, but not the rear!

Few pics so far:

Old 28 October 2014, 03:19 PM
Deej
Scooby Regular

Are those calipers from a hatch or have they been refurbished?

Also have you ever seen a car fall off a jack before?
Old 28 October 2014, 03:39 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deej
Are those calipers from a hatch or have they been refurbished?

Also have you ever seen a car fall off a jack before?
Yes and Yes!

Trust me, I wouldn't ever reccommend anyone else do anything to their car without stands. I meant to go and get mine and then got carried away with what I was doing

Might just have had a result anyway and got my hands on a Spec C quick rack!

I'm rather excited....
Old 28 October 2014, 04:29 PM
walsallboy
Scooby Regular

Looking Good mate !!! You going to painting the wheels Or Keep them the Same !!
Old 03 November 2014, 10:12 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Managed to fit the rear Brembos, but had a slight issue; the nut on the brake hard line decided to round off. Completely. Despite using a brake line spanner.

Great stuff.

I had to tighten it up with mole grips once the braided hose was attached. Not ideal.

Only photo I have so far with the new wheels and brakes on:

Love how it looks though. Brakes already feel massively better and the fronts still need bedding in.

I had to rip the dust shield off the rear hubs to fit the larger discs back there. I also had a huge amount of hassle fitting the handbrake shoes. The process is fairly simple in itself, but bloody hell, getting the retaining pins all clipped back in is an absolute nightmare.

I had to take my best guess with the adjustment. I set the shoes so that I could just get the discs on and off with a bit of coercion. The handbrake does seem to work, but only at the very top of the lever travel.

I guess if that's the case, it's adjustment at the lever end next?

Things are starting to move a bit now. I've got an up pipe to go on, bought an S202 silicone inlet hose and there are shocks and a Spec C steering rack on the way!
Old 08 November 2014, 04:29 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Well a small but significant update. I decided to visit Scoobyclinic on my day off yesterday and I had my Spec C steering rack fitted.

What a difference! The steering is heavier as it's obviously geared differently to stock, but it feels really positive. I also had new bushes fitted with the quick rack.

Very happy!

I've decided that I'm going to sell the STI suspension that I bought. I just feel that I will be much happier buying something that I know was specifically intended for the Wagon. It will remove any niggling little worries or doubts.
Old 01 December 2014, 09:32 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Well I've been buying stuff again....

Picked up my set of STI wheels with Michelin Alpin winter tyres on Saturday. Just hope it gets cold enough to use them now!

I have also bought some pink STI injectors from another member on here. They will go into the pile with the other parts I am assembling.

I am stuck in two minds at the moment with ARBs. I've ordered Whiteline 22mm front and 24mm rear bars, as that seems to be the consensus on here. But I've since spoken to Simon at Chevron Motorsport who told me he would recommend running a bigger front bar, so I'm pretty confused now. This guy obviously knows his stuff and he told me that the reason most run a bigger rear bar is because people don't know how to set these cars up properly.

I am just really struggling to reconcile this in my head, but I need to make my mind up while I can still return either of the bars......

Last night I snapped up a Prodrive Sports Cat from a WR1 for £63 + postage! I will probably wait to fit it and buy a VF35 after Christmas as that's the long term plan anyway, rather than go ahead and modify it to fit the TD04.
Old 01 December 2014, 09:40 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Oh and I had a power run done and the car made 256bhp on the Scooby Clinic rollers. I'm happy with that, all things considered. Will be interesting to see where we go from here.....
Old 02 December 2014, 01:23 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Hello? Is there anybody out there?!
Old 02 December 2014, 04:19 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aye
Old 02 December 2014, 05:53 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Lol Cheers!

Been speaking with Simon at Chevron about suspension options. Looks like I will be going 24mm front and rear ARBs.

He wasn't a big fan of KYB shocks, but I might not have much choice there unless I can find another manufacturer that makes Wagon specific shocks and that hasn't happened so far...

I did find out that I can get a set of Bug STI Wagon shocks from Japan for around £800 plus shipping....
Old 02 December 2014, 05:58 PM
angel1368
Scooby Regular

this is a fantastic project mate and a very good looking blob