Red Blobeye PPP WRX

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2014, 09:11 PM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Red Blobeye PPP WRX

Hi Guys,

After owning German cars forever I recently fulfilled one of my dreams and purchased a Subaru. I've always had a thing for the blobeye WRX/STI's so I sold my A6 and bought A WRX PPP on an 03 plate.

It came with FSH from Subaru, and after a 6 hour train journey it was mine.

All that its had so far is a forge dump valve and HKS turbo timer. I thought I would document my progress as I go....

Apologies for the bad photos, I will get some better ones with my SLR this weekend at Trax.

Old 05 September 2014, 09:13 PM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

This is a picture of my A6.

The trip to the Nurburgring made me realise I needed something a little quicker and sped the Subaru buying process up haha
Old 05 September 2014, 09:21 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Looks like you've come a similar route than me. My last few cars have been German, B7 RS4, E46 M3 & Golf Ed30. Now have blob wagon and just retro fitted PPP. Love the simplicity of the Impreza and it's analogue character.

PS liking the A6
Old 05 September 2014, 09:28 PM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

My list isn't quite as impressive as yours...

205 mi16
Polo GTI
Golf GTI
Bora Highline
A6

I always worried at the build quality of Japanese cars however I have been really impressed.

I agree with the simplicity, its so nice to get in something a bit raw and with large amounts of feedback. I think some of that is lost with a german car but I absolutely love it!

In other news...

I'm after a decat before I have it remapped (as from what I understand the PPP book figures are slightly unrealistic and the car would greatly benefit from a map).

I've been on ebay, and as it is a decat I am not looking to spend stupid money. There are so many links and i'm a bit lost. Anyone help? Cheers!
Old 11 September 2014, 07:38 AM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

Hi guys,

Bit of advice needed...

My cars been sat for a couple of days undriven, when I started it up last night I got quite a cloud of black smoke coming from the exhaust. I have researched through the forum and it seems it could be a number of things- the most worrying poor compression.

I have bought an ebay code reader - I wanted to know whether this is likely to be able to show up the fault if it is compression? (I really hope this isn't the problem).

The cars on 59k and is soon due its 60k service. Hopefully this should cure some of the issue aswell. I'm unsure as to what oil is in it at the moment but I will be making sure Subaru friendly oil is used as I know this can also cause smoking issues.

Couple of updates...

Went to Trax at the weekend. My favourite show of the year and gave me a lot of opportunity to snoop round some WRX/STI's and get some ideas. Still trying to work out the direction I want to go with it..

Ignore my dancing haha

Also picked up a smaller front plate as I think its a bit tidyer..

Old 11 September 2014, 08:17 AM
angel1368
Scooby Regular

love the red scoobs bud, dancing is abit suspect but i cant talk cos when i dance it looks like im having a fit, anyway what size is that new plate please looks great
Old 16 September 2014, 07:51 AM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

I cant remember the dimensions mate, ill measure it later for you!

Bought a code reader off ebay. Only 20 quid, replaces the one I lost. Reads all OBD2 ports but doesn't do ABS. Good bit of kit for the money

Scanned the Scoob - no fault codes! Good news.

CODE READER EBAY LINK

Worth having a look if you ever need to scan. Lets you clear the codes too!

Also as I'm approaching 60k I spoke to Opie Oils regarding what would best suit the WRX for its upcoming service

Helpful as always - I ended up getting the following:

Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 Petrol Fully Synthetic - Engine Oil
Mahle Oil Filter
Millers Oils CRT 75w-90 NT Competition Fully Synthetic - Gearbox
Fuchs Titan Race Synthetic 5 75W-90 Fully Synthetic - Diff
Mahle Fuel Filter

Using the club discount code I got a really good price. Bit of peace of mind for me too as its the first service I will be carrying out.

My mate will be doing the service at his garage in the next couple of weeks so its stamped. I'm intrigued to see if the gearbox is any better as currently its quite stiff.

I also got some speaker adapters as the quality of my standard front speakers is terrible. Currently in talks with my mate who manages Celcus ICE company as to try and source some decent quality 13cm components.

Front Speaker Adapter Ebay Link

Lastly I'm looking at wheels, coilovers, remaps and lots of other stuff. Just getting the basics done first and some maintenance parts so I can start fettling.

Old 23 September 2014, 04:50 PM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

Went to FBTuning today to have my compression tested and spark plugs replaced (might aswell as they were out).

Compression test ok, however Richard agreed it was running like a dog. Turns out the K&N Induction Kit is really making the ECU unhappy. Its running very lean so no boost until the airbox at least is replaced.

A full service, standard airbox (ordered) and hopefully a map on a return visit in the next couple of weeks should sort all! Oh and a Walbro pump

Huge thanks to Rich for help at short notice. I was genuinly worried I had ringland issues.

Also need a new drivebelt and front droplinks are beginning to knock so they will also be ordered and fitted before it goes back to Rich.

Stressful day but it could have been a lot worse!
Old 23 September 2014, 05:19 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Love the blobs, they look great in red, and are quite rare in that colour.

Mate, when i got my bug, the first thing i did was take it to Rich to do the same compression test. Gives you that piece of mind, I know how nerve wracking it is waiting to find out if all is ok or not!

Now you know all is OK with the engine, what sort of power are aiming for? Are you going to create a fast road car, keep it OEM'sh (they're quite good at stage 1 tune!) or track slag? :-)

What ever you decide, you are in good hands with Rich.
Old 24 September 2014, 06:24 PM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

Aiming for a steady 290ish at the moment mate. Then I will reasses after I have sorted out some aesthetics and other bits.

Yeah, hugely impressed with Rich. Nice guy too. Will be using him from now on

Ordered up a new drivebelt, some speaker adapters and speakers the other day. Adapters have arrived (to run 13cm fronts with a larger magnet) although speakers are a no show so far.

Mounted up the adapters and left the door cards off for today. Will fit the speakers tomorrow hopefully (if they arrive!)

Doorcard off! The original speakers really are quite poor haha!

SAK2820 Adapter kit - I thought I would take a few pics at this point...

As with a few of these kits they are quite generic for a range of cars of one model type. In this case, Imprezas from classic upto hawkeye.

The holes didn't line up so I firstly removed the original speaker mount clips (these protrude and therefore don't allow the adapter kit to sit flush)

I removed the originals and marked up where I wanted my pilot holes for the adapters. I rotated it until it sat as flush as possible and then pilot drilled 3 holes, before using self tappers to fit the adapter.

Wiring adapter pic...

All fitted. By removing the original speaker mount clips it sat completely flush to the door and was very rigid once tightened up...

I then did the other side, before chucking on my drivers doorcard to test for clearance. I was slightly worried about the length of the self tappers I used interfering with the window regulator, but after a quick test all was well.

Then I got a couple of decent pics of the outside as I had my camera out

Hopefully some more updates tomorrow!

Also - whilst I remember -

Does anyone know where I can get a PPP sports cat?? I am considering getting one before I have a map done. They are proving quite hard to find. From what I understand they mate up perfectly to my existing exhaust so its plug and play. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 24 September 2014, 07:00 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Looking good fella! The car looks mint!

What speakers did you order?

I'll tell you what, i upgraded the head unit before my door speakers, the new head unit made the OEM speakers in my bug sound quite good! When i swapped the speakers themselves to some JBL jobbies the jump in sound quality wasn't anywhere near as impressive as the difference the head unit made. But the JBL's do go louder. Although, i'm not really into loud music while driving, so not the best mod i ever made. Think i would have been happy with just swapping the head unit alone and saving some £££
Old 24 September 2014, 07:33 PM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

Infinity kappa components mate, had them on a few cars and the sound quality is top notch.

I used to install audio for a living so im pretty clued up on it all. I know the headunit I want but I wanted to do speakers first as the quality is literally woeful haha.

My mate owns an audio company so when hes back off holiday he will be delivering me the new headunit. Should make quite a bit of difference! I've got a phoenix gold sub/amp aswell that I am debating fitting. Not a lot of room in the boot though!
Old 24 September 2014, 10:41 PM
ScottyPPP
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice progress so far .

I ordered some speaker adapters for mine from the states, I've got 6.5" up front and 5.25" in the rear. The original audio equipment is utter gash though as you say, the rear speakers are hilariously cheap!
Old 25 September 2014, 02:52 PM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I do like my music too so its always one of the first things I try and improve when I get a new car..

Anyway, todays activities...

My standard airbox and drivebelt arrived

So long K&N!

Also gave the air sensor a blast of this stuff whilst it was out (highly recommend it!)

All back together!! One thing - my second hand airbox didn't come with a filter - What are my best options/where is the best place to buy?

• K&N Panel Filter
  • Green Cotton

Going to order one today so any help ASAP would be great!

As I ordered the complete airbox unit I ended up with this lot. If anyone wants any of it let me know. The K&N is going on ebay but any other bits can go free as long as you cover postage.

Next step, drivebelt

Been having squeal on startup so I knew I had a dodgy drivebelt. Unfortunately the one I bought is the wrong one (inside one - aircon?) So I need to find the right alternator belt and change it over. When I had a look and got some part numbers I noticed how loose the tension was on the belt. This is obviously causing my slip so I nipped it up for the time being to stop it squealing. Will do until I get the right one ordered...

And all back together

Slow progress but at leas the k&n is off!

Last edited by bullawayo; 25 September 2014 at 02:55 PM. Reason: forgot pics didnt i
Old 26 September 2014, 04:16 PM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

So today my speakers arrived. Nice present when I got back from work! Especially as they were free (I have good mates)

Infinity Kappa 52.9i Component Fronts...

Not used this model before but I put one in to see what it was like after a bit of wiring jiggery-pokery and they are awesome! The sounds quality is much more than I would ever expect through a standard headunit. I am looking forward to seeing what they are really capable of once the unit is upgraded

A pic of the difference in primarily magnet size...

I tried to fit them with the covers on behind the doorcard but I didn't have enough room, so they went in like this and everything went back together. Sounds great! After a quick blast I can say I am thoroughly impressed.

After a quick browse online I found them on offer from CarAudioSecurity on ebay....

HERES THE LINK FOR ANYONE INTERESTED

£55 with free delivery, I would even recommend running just these as fronts and removing the rears as a decent upgrade.

In other news I think I found a sportscat (cheers ) so that should be part of the stuff i've got coming up over the next few weeks.

Cheers!

Matt
Old 12 October 2014, 07:27 PM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

Just had a full service and ecu reset by Rich @FBTuning and is running like a dream!

Also fitted a new headunit, will get some pics up tomorrow
Old 20 October 2014, 02:08 PM
Manford
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure ive seen the car round Wokingham

Where did you get the sport cat from? How much?
Old 20 October 2014, 03:29 PM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

You may well have! As I have a work van it doesn't get driven an awful lot at the moment!

Fitted my new green cotton to replace the temporary item - really impressed with the quality.

Also as promised a pic of the bargain headunit. The speaker quality since uprating the cd player has been significant. Does everything I need and cost less than £40 delivered

Old 20 October 2014, 04:43 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bullawayo
My list isn't quite as impressive as yours...

205 mi16
Polo GTI
Golf GTI
Bora Highline
A6

I always worried at the build quality of Japanese cars however I have been really impressed.

I agree with the simplicity, its so nice to get in something a bit raw and with large amounts of feedback. I think some of that is lost with a german car but I absolutely love it!

In other news...

I'm after a decat before I have it remapped (as from what I understand the PPP book figures are slightly unrealistic and the car would greatly benefit from a map).

I've been on ebay, and as it is a decat I am not looking to spend stupid money. There are so many links and i'm a bit lost. Anyone help? Cheers!
They certainly are, my 03 WRX PPP made 187 at the wheels on AET's accurate dyno (240bhp max) a remap took power to 218 atw (280bhp max)
Old 20 October 2014, 05:14 PM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

That is very interesting. Cheers matt. Yeah i've read and heard the same elsewhere, but nothing specifically from a blobeye WRX PPP before.

I think its quite generic across a range of cars that this is the case. Always best to get it on the rollers (whatever it is) and see real world figures!

Manford - sorry mate, missed your question. The sports cats are normally about 80-150 quid depending on condition etc. I'm getting mine from another forum member.

I'd be happy with 220 atw!
Old 20 October 2014, 07:20 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I made 218atw with the up-pipe cat and downpipe cat still in place and at just 1 BAR of boost. I think SN's Bustamoves made just over 300bhp but running 1.4 BAR

Maybe with bigger injectors, headers, Harvey Smith up-pipe, silicone inlet and a STI TMIC he could have hit 310bhp.

Must have felt like a rocket at 300 though!
Old 22 October 2014, 09:42 AM
Manford
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheres the head unit from?

You going to upgrade the rears or leave them disconnected?

I'm after same power as you but don't want to spend more than I have too. Got a few other gremlins to fix first before I go chasing power and pick up.....
Old 24 October 2014, 08:02 AM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

Headunit was actually from ebay. A breakers yard. Managed to get it for super cheap as it has a tiny ding in the front. As an all round unit though its excellent for what I need (with ipod/usb capability and decent pre-out etc)

Everything can be done on a budget if you are prepared to do a bit of research. I highly recommend the headunit I installed though - I believe from this forum it is quite a popular choice for a lot of other Impreza owners too...

ALPINE CDE-W332R

Click the link for the unit new, or have a browse around ebay for a second hand one like I did. These can be picked up for pennies!

Regarding the rears, currently they are left disconnected but I will eventually update them if I ever feel the need. My current setup is decent enough for me to happily not use them. That may change though.

Hope this helps mate, cheers

Matt
Old 24 October 2014, 06:30 PM
AzzDSM
Scooby Regular

Hi mate.. Nice wrx Thought component speakers had the tweeter seperate with a crossover box? coaxial if the tweeter is on the speaker? correct me if im wrong lol
Old 24 October 2014, 06:38 PM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

No mate you are correct! I've literally just changed the door speakers. considered components but couldn't justify the money.
Old 24 October 2014, 06:39 PM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

Infinity have titled them as components though, I just realised myself...
Old 24 October 2014, 07:31 PM
AzzDSM
Scooby Regular

The problem i found with my install is door card rattle. sounds perfect with no door cards then rattles like hell with them on. Tried new clips etc. I also had the same issue with the speaker adaptors. dont line up, so i made my own and went for 6" comps
Old 25 October 2014, 12:18 AM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

Nice mate.

I don't have any issues with rattle. Stupid question but have you fitted the speaker covers? When I fitted mine at test fitted the door card it rattled so bad. Soon as I removed them it stopped completely. May also depend on the speaker design and how we'll it sits in the adapter. Any sort of play will be greatly accentuated when playing music obviously due to the vibration.
Old 25 October 2014, 03:08 PM
AzzDSM
Scooby Regular

No mate i didnt fit the covers, didnt see the point when the door card covers them.
get no rattle at all with door cards off so i cant see it being anything to do with how the speaker is sitting. Unless its just catching on the door card when i up the volume.
ive even tried taping all the wiring down just in case its wires vibrating somewhere. im at a loss now
Old 31 October 2014, 09:50 PM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

Question

Its quite possible it is catching on the door card when the music is loud due to the increased vibration. Maybe some form of plastic spacer to move the doorcard suitably clear may work? Thats what I would try mate!

In other news, went to Rich @FBTuning today due to Scoob not boosting properly...anddddd

My turbo is on its way out....

So I am going to be upgrading to an Sti VF35 turbo.

I have bought a Walbro fuel pump so that is covered, however I have some questions.

Im looking for reliable power slightly above what I currently have (around 300bhp). I am not looking at extensive engine modification yet until I have upgraded my brakes clutch etc.

Any help with the following would be greatly appreciated

1. Apparently also the WRX gearbox is susceptible to failure when pushed, what are the best options to look at in preparation for it dying? I have read a hawkeye WRX (or even better - STI) gearbox will suit. Is this a straight fit?

2. When installing the VF35, is this literally a bolt on job? I understand that it is but I wanted to check. Also - I understand pink injectors are also recommended however how much will they restrict me if I simply change the turbo and upgrade the fuel pump (with a supporting map)?

3. Where is the best place to buy a VF35 from. Obviously, ebay has been my first port of call however I don't want to buy badly so if necessary I will get it from elsewhere. My budget is quite tight however so I can't afford too much and am more than prepared to look at second hand items.

My car will be getting mapped when the turbo is replaced as I also have an STI cat to fit. All the work will be carried out by Rich @FBTuning so it will be done well

Quick Reply: Red Blobeye PPP WRX