Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

My Uk Turbo Impreza Classic

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2014, 09:33 PM
jjayokocha
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Uk Turbo Impreza Classic

I got my first Impreza (black 95 JDM WRX) as a part exchange on my Legnum VR-4 last August. Car hadn't been through an mot in over 2 years but lad was still driving it out the country roads to his work everyday.

It was meant as a project that I could fix up myself and get onto the road eventually as the wife has a diesel Golf, im a delivery driver so have a work van and no need for a car really.

The jdm impreza had plenty of extras, drove great but had worst rust ive seen on a car and wasn't worth trying to repair.

So back in Feb of this year I sold it on and came across a 1999 UK 2000 Turbo up the road from me for sale. Mot til Oct 2014 & tax March 2013 for £1,100. Owner was getting married and couldn't afford to keep it. All that's done is a decat, magnex exhaust system & hks panel filter.

He had decided to put a roof scoop over the sunroof and seal it both on the outside and inside. Car looked in great shape body wise and was driving perfect until the brakes were needed, he tried telling me front pads needed changed just but I knew it was more.

I got the car home and into my garage, car up on stands and wheels off. No brake pads left in either the front or rear, all the discs were now pitted. Handbrake was sticking on cause the shoes were welded onto the inside of the discs and the clutch finding it hard selecting reverse.

On the shopping list was front and rear grooved discs, Kevlar pads, new handbrake shoes and spring fitting kit, 1L mintex dot 5.1 brake fluid.

Managed to pick up near new rear grooved discs, Kevlar pads & standard front discs for £50 off a local lad and friend in motor factors gave me £20 off blueprint front pads so they only cost me £17.

Everything was fitted last weekend, had the front 2 4 pot calipers refurbished, changed the brake and clutch fluid and its like a new car. Also resealed the rear lights and spoiler.

Finally got it insured today so still a few more things I wanna get done before I get it out on the road properly.
Sort out the sunroof mess
Repaint the alloys
Full service and timing belt kit
Remove aircon setup

Last edited by jjayokocha; 19 May 2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 18 April 2015, 09:48 AM
jjayokocha
Scooby Regular

Well its time to do a bit of an update. Car been on the road a while now and have done a few small bits to it. Had 2 mafs fail on me but got sorted thanks to Ryan Murray.

Since I got the car I have changed to blue magnecor ignition leads, new coilpack, new plugs, Walbro 255lp fuel pump, front mount intercooler, HKS SSQV bov, carbon fibre sti strut brace, cone filter, PIAA horns, osram nightbreaker headlight bulbs & bright white LED sidelights, black bonnet off my old impreza with bigger scoop and induction scoop over the filter, sti spoiler and P1 fog covers (both of these still need painted)

Ive to get my ds rear arch and front wing repaired, the roof needs wrapped to hide the sunroof previous owner butchered and wheels to be redone. Also Sard fpr to be fitted.

Old 18 April 2015, 04:20 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I thought when you mentioned the roof scoop mess you'd be ripping it off and stamping on it! Instead you've added two more
Old 18 April 2015, 04:35 PM
CutMasterT
Scooby Regular

I honestly think those scoops look awful on a classic.

If you're after a larger scoop look at HT Autos range. They have one that retains the oem look but is slightly larger and opens more.
Old 20 April 2015, 05:54 PM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

Newage scoop looks awful as does the induction scoop and the roof scoop, each to their own though

would look great with the standard bonnet and without the roof scoop, maybe an enlarged classic style scoop as above if you felt the need