ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Secondary Air Pump Malfunction - P0410 & P2432 (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/977032-secondary-air-pump-malfunction-p0410-and-p2432.html)

DeweyAXD 08 June 2013 08:33 PM

Secondary Air Pump Malfunction - P0410 & P2432

So late in the week the CEL came on.

I have Delta Dash and it was a "P2432 Secondary Air Pressure Sensor (Low)".
Knowing this is a common issue and could just be a sticky valve that 'can' clear itself, the intention was to reset the ECU to see if it had cleared the CEL.
Today I went to do this and now I have a "P0410 Secondary Air System Malfunction" code as well suggesting this is not just a one off stuck valve.

Not sure really what to listen for but I think the pump is making a small amount of noise (suggeting bearings?) but it doesn't stay on after turning the engine off as per a stuck relay problem.

Within the next couple of months I'm planning to get the car mapped (and hence the system mapped out).

I've read plenty of threads on the subject with varying levels of failure and of course the concern is the pump over-running, burning out and melting (potentially along with the car!?).

So... If i pull the relay out for now to be sure the pump won't run, is it wise to drive for a month or so or should I be benching the car until mapping (I have use of another).

Any help welcome as always!

Bez300 08 June 2013 09:08 PM

As far as I am aware
You will have to remove the air pump and have the holes blanked of, then get it mapped out
My air pump has been removed

Bez

cuprajake 08 June 2013 09:11 PM

I removed mine when the engine was out. Good working order and sat in a box. I have it in the for sale section ;)

DeweyAXD 08 June 2013 10:23 PM

Thanks guys. I know the procedure for deleting, blanking and mapping. Sounds like a pain in that ass but it was always on the cards when I got the card mapped.
It is more what I can do in the meantime with before that which concerns me.

cuprajake 08 June 2013 10:29 PM

Take unit out n blank the pipes off the unit rather than the back of the engine

DeweyAXD 08 June 2013 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by cuprajake (Post 11114463)
Take unit out n blank the pipes off the unit rather than the back of the engine

Yeah i thought that was the process as there is a secondary sensor used somewhere mounted on the pump itself that doesn't get deleted in the mapping?

Trust me Jake i'd be buying yours if i wasn't mapping it out - good price ;)

DeweyAXD 09 June 2013 01:26 PM

BUMP - just wondering if anyone knows if removing the relay will cause detrimental results for a month or two?

Bez300 09 June 2013 01:37 PM

If you was to remove relay, the pump would not run, as I am sure you are aware, this will show a Fault code, but the engine will run fine, Your cats will not get the pre heat from the pump,
So in short, Yes, CEL light will be on all the time,
by the sounds of it, its on anyway,
If your ECU shows any serious faults engine will go into limp mode anyway.

Bez

DeweyAXD 09 June 2013 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bez300 (Post 11114868)
If you was to remove relay, the pump would not run, as I am sure you are aware, this will show a Fault code, but the engine will run fine, Your cats will not get the pre heat from the pump,
So in short, Yes, CEL light will be on all the time,
by the sounds of it, its on anyway,
If your ECU shows any serious faults engine will go into limp mode anyway.

Bez

Thanks Bez. I can at least plug the car into Delta Dash daily to be sure there is nothing else that is an issue. I just want to avoid the pump burning out until the mapping basically