ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Wiring a light in the loft? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/95737-wiring-a-light-in-the-loft.html)

Homer Simpson 13 May 2002 08:02 PM

Can anyone help?

I want to wire a light in the loft, but haven't a clue how to do it! :eek:

My loft hatch is in my bathroom, and what I'd like is a switch and light in the loft, that will only come on when I switch on the bathroom light.

Do I take a feed from the bathroom light? How? Etc?

Any pictures, diagrams or websites would be appreciated.

Thanks

andrewjlane 13 May 2002 08:23 PM

I've done it before but csn't remember how as it was a long time ago. From what I remember, it was easy. Visit B&Q's website www.diy.com I find it useful for "how to" questions.

chiark 13 May 2002 08:47 PM

I'm no electrician, so am not qualified to advise, but...

Remove power. Make sure that you've really removed power.

You'll find a switched live and a neutral in the ceiling rose in the bathroom, plus earth. Take the switched live, run that to one side of a switch in the loft or wherever you want the switch for the loft to be. The other side of the new switch goes to one terminal on the light in the loft.

The other side of the light goes to the neutral in the ceiling rose.

Don't blame me if it goes bang. ;)

matt.bowey 13 May 2002 08:50 PM

Why link it to the bathroom?? You could have a seporate switch * light in the loft! The readersdigest book in Homebase will show you how.

Just make sure you don't break into a switch wire as if you do you will be in all sort of problems!!

Homer Simpson 14 May 2002 12:15 AM

If linked to the bathroom light, and I've been my forgetful self, at least it won't be on constantly!

matt.bowey 14 May 2002 08:06 AM

Fair comment...........just break into the line from the junction box that feeds the bathroom light, not the switch or the feed wires.

David_Wallis 14 May 2002 08:23 AM

Just to add you cant actually put a switch in your bathroom unless it is a pull cord.

David

taz 14 May 2002 12:40 PM

black to red
!
!
!
red to black
!
!
!
!
blew to bits
!
!
!
!
only kiddin m8

G

Homer Simpson 14 May 2002 01:13 PM

I don't think I've explained myself well.

There is a light switch in the bathroom already (although I plan to change that to a pull cord), but I want to install a light and switch in the loft, that will only work when the light switch in the bathroom is switched on.

Does this make sense, or am I going mad???

Anyway I think the solution may be to get a small flood light and run an extention lead up to the loft when I need light up there!!

Cheers

matt.bowey 14 May 2002 01:49 PM

Thats what I do...........its a pretty simple job, but cant be ar$ed to do my own!

KimA 14 May 2002 02:52 PM

LIGHT INSTALLATION IN LOFT

No. 1 - turn on the light in the loft so you can see what you're doing prior to installation ;)

Sorry, muppet moment :D :D