ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Air intake silencer removed without jacking up. (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/949627-air-intake-silencer-removed-without-jacking-up.html)

gutbucket 14 September 2012 11:57 AM

Air intake silencer removed without jacking up.

Hi guys

I just managed to remove the intake silencer from my 2001 WRX Turbo without either having to remove the wheel or having to jack it up. I simply removed the 10mm bolts to free it up, opened the air box, removed the filter, and then pulled the connecting unit free. I partly removed the wheel arch lining to get a look inside at it, then got under the car at the front, undid the remaining bolt, and pulled the whole unit from under the car.

I was amazed at the size of the thing, about 16" long!

The sound difference is amazing. Even at 2500RPM you can hear the turbo spool, then come off the gas and you hear the satisfying BOV hiss. At 4000RPM is really audible, a massive improvement.

Mr Windscreen 14 September 2012 02:15 PM

I,ve read about this but have yet to meet anyone who has done it. Any improvements other than noise?

JonMc 14 September 2012 02:18 PM

Have you run a cold air feed to the airbox, or at least rejoined the airbox and the inlet pipe that goes over the ABS pump:wonder:

gutbucket 14 September 2012 04:45 PM

I forgot to mention I stuck a K&N panel filter in, too, so I did notice a slightly better 'pull' when going over about 3000RPM. Might be the fact the engine can just suck in the air from the pipe leading from the front of the car AND the fender well - the old silencer is a massive U bend with a big box attached. The sound was the main thing. Instead of the slight whistle, you get a proper whine, then the sound of the BOV. It's not load like a dump valve, but you get a distinct hiss.

I haven't attached a cold feed pipe, just left as is at the moment. I'm going to find a pipe and try and feed it straight to a place near the fog lamp.

I will just clean the filter a little more often now.

JonMc 14 September 2012 04:59 PM

Unless you've fitted one there is no pipe leading to the front of the car - the resonator box is all that connected the two and without a separate cold air feed it will be drawing out straight from inside the wing void:wonder:

gutbucket 14 September 2012 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys

I heard from other forums that people didn't even bother with a cold intake pipe as the air guided into the wing via the duct that sits under the bonnet is sufficient as it's well away from the engine heat. It certainly didn't lack any performance giving it some.

Here's the massive thing I removed. It's about 16" long and really bulky.

Attachment 68446

JonMc 14 September 2012 05:09 PM

The under bonnet duct will guide air into the inner wing void but not directly into the airbox which is now effectively scavenging air as best it can give the opening sits flush with the inner wing wall and not in any airflow. When I looked up this mod years ago it stated that you needed to fit a hose - a short length of 70mm flexi should only cost about a tenner and can join the 2 effectively:thumb:

gutbucket 14 September 2012 05:12 PM

I might saw off the box and tape the hole, then stick it back on.

JonMc 14 September 2012 05:13 PM

That would work until you introduce a cold air feed:thumb:

gutbucket 31 December 2012 06:35 PM

I'm still reading how people struggle to remove the turbo silencer. Has anyone else simply unbolted and pulled out from under the car?

I love it. The spooling and hiss are audible but not mod loud.

Rob669 01 January 2013 06:04 PM

I also removed my 'resonator' from the wing and the sound is better, but more importantly to me the car is a little more responsive. Not by much, but I have run it like this for several months without any other changes and it feels better for it. I refitted it again three weeks ago and the car did feel worse for it. It has since come off and will stay off (unless it leads to a MAF sensor fault!).

JDM_Stig 01 January 2013 06:11 PM

what about adding something like this to help feed cool air into the inner wing void
http://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploa...0/30688.attach

Rob669 01 January 2013 06:49 PM

That's an idea, but IMO there's plenty enough air available via all the spaces and gaps.

gutbucket 02 January 2013 08:57 AM

More air the better! :)

I definitely prefer it; it sounds better without that aftermarket hiss.

BenGTTurbo 03 January 2013 02:26 AM

I was thinking about doing this to my classic... My question is my car was remapped a few months ago, Would i need a tweak to my map if i done this mod ? Also would this be safe for the MAF providing no water got to it ?