ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   IHI VF turbo specs (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/945355-ihi-vf-turbo-specs.html)

scottydouk 04 August 2012 08:52 PM

IHI VF turbo specs

Here is a list of specs I found online.

Im used to TD04L and TD05H turbos. Can anyone guide me to which is a close match of these two turbos to the VF range please?

Cheers

VF22
This turbo has the highest output potential of all of the IHI VF series turbos and is the best choice for those who are looking for loads of top end power. The top end power however, does not come without a cost. The VF22 spools significantly slower than the rest of the IHI models due to the larger P20 exhaust housing and is much less suited for daily driving than some of the other models. Although the largest VF series turbo, the VF22 is not quite optimal for stroked engines or those who wish to run more than 20PSI of boost.

VF23
This turbo is considered a great all-around turbo. Like the VF22 it utilizes the largest P20 exhaust housing. This housing is mated with a smaller compressor housing of the of the VF24. This turbo is considered optimal in applications with range from mild to slightly wild. It does not have the same top end power of the VF22, but spools up significantly quicker.

VF24
This turbo shares its compressor housing with the VF23 however, this housing is mated with a smaller (P18) exhaust side. The smaller characteristics of this turbo allow it to provide ample bottom end power and quick spool. This turbo is very popular for Imprezas with automatic transmissions and Group N rally cars.

VF28
This turbo came standard on the STi Version 5. In terms of overall size, it is smaller than the VF22, VF30 and VF34, and about same size as the VF23.

VF29
This Turbo is nearly identical to the VF24, with the same compressor and exhaust housings. However the compressor wheel in the VF29 is has been changed slightly. The changes made to the compressor wheel in this model are generally viewed as improvements, and as such this unit is typically chosen over the VF24.

VF30
The VF30 is commonly considered the best bang for the buck turbo in the IHI VF series line. A relatively new model the VF30 features the same exhaust housing as the VF24 but a larger compressor side similar to the VF22. The combination of these two parts results in increased output potential without the lag associated with the VF22. Although it doesn't offer the top end supremacy of the VF22, the VF30 is a great compromise between these unit and the quicker spooling models.

VF34
The VF34 is nearly identical to the VF30, with the same exhaust housing and compressor. However the VF34 goes back to the ball bearing design, and in doing so achieves full boost approximately 500RPM sooner than the comparable VF30. The VF34 is the most recent IHI design and as such costs slightly more than its counterpart. Top end performance and maximum output are identical to the 30.

VF35
VF35 The VF35 has identical internals as the VF30 and it uses divided thrust bearings. However, the exhaust housing is a P15 which means this turbo will have fantastic spool characteristics. This turbo is standard on the new WRX Type RA. LIMITED SUPPLY.

VF36
Roller bearing version of the twin scroll VF37, also has a titanium turbine and shaft for even quicker spool. Same compressor housing as VF30/34, however twin scroll P25 exhaust housing provides slightly better top end output due to reduced exhaust pulse interference. This turbo is good for 400HP and used on JDM STI Spec C from 2003 onwards.

VF37 (thrust bearing)
Enter the age of twin scroll IHI turbos. Same compressor housing as VF30/34, however has a new twin scroll P25 exhaust housing that provides slightly better top end output due to reduced exhaust pulse interference. Twin scroll also provides better spool up for improved low down response over the VF30/34. This turbo is good for 400HP and used on JDM STI from 2003 onwards.

VF38
Twin scroll turbo with titanium turbine and shaft. Smaller compressor housing than VF36/VF37 provides tremendous spool up capabilities but less top end than VF36/37. The spool capabilities of this turbo are demonstrated on the JDM Legacy GT, which reaches peak torque at 2400RPM.

VF39
Single scroll turbo used on USDM STI and latest 2.5L STIs released internationally. Smaller than VF30/VF34.

VF42
Exclusive turbo to the S203/S204 models, this features a twin scroll design with a slightly larger compressor than the VF36/37 turbos and different turbine design (more blades). The VF42 is a roller-bearing turbo and is likely of similar size to the VF22 turbo, but with twin scroll exhaust housing for faster spool and superior top end performance due to reduced exhaust pulse interference.

prodriverules 04 August 2012 08:56 PM

30-34 and 35 are the most common one's to use,they all will see over 300 with the right mods to assist,out of the bunch the 34 is the best as it has a ball bearing core and usually see's slightly better figures than the other 2

Kedlestone 04 August 2012 09:12 PM

What mods you running? I'd go for a VF34, I'm running one and can't rate them highly enough.

scottydouk 04 August 2012 09:16 PM

Early classics TD05H is equivilant to a --VF turbo

Later classics TD04L is equivilant to a --VF turbo

prodriverules 04 August 2012 09:19 PM

Early classic TD05H=VF34
the TD04L is only rated to 280 on a good day with good mods so doesn't compare to VF turbo's mate

scottydouk 04 August 2012 09:25 PM

Cool thanks.

I run a 20G on my Scoob with awesome power, but this is for my other Jap car.

Has a much smaller cc engine though, loved the power of the TD05H but so laggy, fitted a TD04L quick spool but big power difference.

Trying to figure out which VF turbo to try which would have the quick spool of the TD04L but power of the TD05H............

prodriverules 04 August 2012 09:27 PM

34 would be slightly behind a td04 (minimal) but produce more power than a td05h

fez the plodder 04 August 2012 10:19 PM

Maybe a daft question but what sort of power and spec is a vf 43?

Scoobyno1 05 August 2012 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by fez the plodder (Post 10737466)

Ive recently fitted one of these with a long list of mods to my wrx and mapped by Racedynamix and Duncan thinks I'm currently running at around the 340bhp figure but needs confirming on a rolling road.

nyscooby 05 August 2012 10:35 AM

43's can push 380/390

Kennyboyd31 05 August 2012 01:18 PM

I was going to upgrade my bug WRX to a VF35, was advised to go with an tD05 18g or VF43

WhiteWagonMan 05 August 2012 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by fez the plodder (Post 10737466)

VF43`s are better suited to 2.5 impreza`s like the VF48 is,unless its rammed full of boost it will be slightly laggy on a 2.0ltr car and wont make as good of a road car as say a VF34/VF35 will do.

The VF34 is the best VF turbo made to date imho and will spool fast and give power all the way to the red line,2nd choice for me would be a VF35,it spools fast but starts to fade away after 5500rpm but makes a great fast road car and is quite a bit cheaper than the 34 and easier to find.:thumb:

Scoobyno1 05 August 2012 04:52 PM

I think the problem is the vf34/35's are getting on now unless you can find a genuine low mileage one that hasn't been ragged to death. I originally changed my td04 for a vf35 and although I was told it was a mint one that came from a low mileage car Duncan could tell it was well worn and tended to smoke quite abit. So Duncan recommended a vf43/48 as they are off the newer sti's and he has seen them get good figures. I bought one at a decent price and had Duncan come out to tweak the map and he said its definitely near the 340bhp mark which I'm well happy with. I will get a rolling road printout to show the improvement in the near future but the vf35 made only 317bhp which seemed really low.

I have a bug wrx by the way and I find the vf43 slightly laggier but its off a genuine low mileage hawkeye but as soon as the boost kicks in it throws you back into your seat and I'm only running 1.4 bar or boost. It seems to be a really good and strong turbo and i definitely know its good as when the boost builds up you can the turbo spool up, it screams :thumb:

scottydouk 11 September 2012 08:07 PM

Have fitted a VF34 to my other Jap car, Certainly has less power/torque compared to the TD05 I tested first with same turbo lag :-(

RobJenks 12 September 2012 02:15 PM

I have a VF22 fitted to my classic and I want to upgrade to a new technology turbo that will give me lots of low down performance , but still retain the VF22 's top end capability.
Any recommendations?

dynamix 13 September 2012 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by RobJenks (Post 10786747)
I have a VF22 fitted to my classic and I want to upgrade to a new technology turbo that will give me lots of low down performance , but still retain the VF22 's top end capability.
Any recommendations?

vf34
vf43
vf48
td05 18g

^ all will be livelier and produce similar power to your vf22 :thumb:

555gpa 25 March 2013 11:55 AM

Anyone worked on Ihi VF15 turbo? 1994 vintage.

Scoobykid3 19 October 2013 09:17 PM

I have a friend who has a subaru impreza classic gc8 1998 and it has the standard td04 turbo. Ive stripped the car down to just its frame and we are putting a larger turbo on it. It is just a track day car so will it be better using a td05 or a vf34 turbo. It has a fully standard ej20 engine and no remap yet. Or would it be bettet woth a differemt turbo

Steve T 20 October 2013 07:12 PM

Replaced my worn Vf37 with a Vf49 on my 05 jdm twin scroll Sti. Does anyone know what power these turbo,s are good for? It certainly feels as though it has more torque. Steve:thumb:.

scoobygaz1 20 October 2013 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Steve T (Post 11241468)
Replaced my worn Vf37 with a Vf49 on my 05 jdm twin scroll Sti. Does anyone know what power these turbo,s are good for? It certainly feels as though it has more torque. Steve:thumb:.

Did you not get a graph when it was remapped for the change of turbo?

Steve T 20 October 2013 07:23 PM

Did 4 runs on the road with my mapper. Results were 365 up to 402 Bhp. I dont know how accurate this is though. Steve.:thumb:

scoobygaz1 20 October 2013 07:27 PM

Most of the mappers are pretty good on there estimates usually with in 10 bhp :thumb:

XDevil666 21 October 2013 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by RobJenks (Post 10786747)
Any recommendations?

I have a VF22 but I don't really mind that nothing happens before 3k, as the boost just flys in at 3k, and if your hitting it revs never really drop below 3.5 through gear changes?

I kinda look at it as if I'm just coasting then I'm off boost and saving the old fuel?

Gear Head 21 October 2013 10:15 AM

Thinking about a turbo upgrade for my 05 WRX. I have had an sti 3 & 4 so I have a bit of experience with the vf23 and 24 of which I preferred the latter.

Not looking for more much more than 320bhp as any more will require a front mount, better brakes and suspension.

Any suggestions?

Steve T 21 October 2013 07:04 PM

I,d recommend a VF35. Next to no lag and cheap to buy. I think they are good for 330- 350 Bhp :thumb:. Steve.